Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Just thought i'd share this to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I opened up my MacBook earlier today and found a wonderful surprise! It seems as though the groove in the casing near the screen has cracked the side of the casing that it closes down on. I have AppleCare but i have a feeling they're going to call it my fault and charge me a lot to fix it. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

i think this groove is what caused the crack
4l2993.jpg

24azz3t.jpg

2889slk.jpg

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Well if you'd search the forums you would know that many people have had this issue and Apple has acknowledged it as an issue and you can probably just go into an Apple store and get a replacement.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
That sucks.

Take it to the Apple store... I believe they will replace that for free regardless of warranty status. You might want to get someone to second that... call 1800-MYAPPLE (believe that's the number) and make an appointment.

thewolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Well if you'd search the forums you would know that many people have had this issue and Apple has acknowledged it as an issue and you can probably just go into an Apple store and get a replacement.

Well my mistake, but i searched the forums and I didn't see anything.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

I haven't seen it officially acknowledged in their database... so no, it can definatly happen they want you to pay for a new topcase depending on where you live, and where you go, to get help. Especially if you are located outside the U.S.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm becoming less and less enthused with my Macbook the more I read these forums. I realize that all brands have weaknesses, but the obvious design flaws, sloppy engineering, and careless, inconsistent manufacturing techniques demonstrated in the Macbook line really has me scratching my head over what we really are getting for the price premium we pay for an Apple product.

This sort of defect is just inexcusable. How cheaply are these things made?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.