Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phi143

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
I just want to know how these updates usually happen.

1) Will Apple release any information about what’s going on? (If they are releasing anything, what you might see, when they will have more information... ect.)
2) The proposed "update" is supposed to be out within a month. So will that be a press conference announcing a new product/updated product that will be coming out, a couple weeks/months down the road?
3) OR will it be a "surprise! It’s here, and we are selling them now" kind of situation?

I will be buying a new MB by Sept. 29th regardless but I’m hoping for a brand-new one. :D

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
apple's never held any sort of press event for the macbook, even when it was all-new, replacing the aging ibook. i would expect more of the same and, as well, no forward information until the day of release.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We don't know.

Apple is likely to hold a special event, invitation-only for the media. The only advance notice will be a teaser image and tagline on the invitation about a week to ten days prior to the event. The past couple of years, these have been music-focused events in September. It's looking like September 9th may be the day and we'll see new iPod nanos and touches, as well as new iTunes.

The computers are a different story. If the typical pattern is followed, they will appear with no advance notice, probably on a Tuesday. There may be solid rumors in the days leading up to the release, but Apple will not say anything officially.

However, if there is a significant redesign of the computers as some are suggesting, Apple may include them in the special event introduction, or even hold a second special event I suppose. But my guess is that they'll silently release them some Tuesday morning in late September.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
If Apple doesn't release the new Macbooks until October-November then I am buying an iMac soon.

If the new Macbooks come out in September with no LED screen then I will buy an iMac instead.

Either way I might buy the iMac now and the new Macbook in a few months or at the end of September. I just can't wait another month. I can't. I've been waiting since June for something to happen and the money I have saved since then till now is well into the thousands already.

I will hold out until the 9th Max. After that I'm pulling the trigger on a 2.8 ghz 24 inch iMac.:confused::)

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I think it will be like, wake up one September morning, turn on the news, they briefly say something about apples new ipods (not sure if they do in the US but they usually say something in Australia) then we will all hurry off to macrumors.com and there will be new macbooks and macbook pros and new iPods. It will be fun

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder what stays... the combo drive or the old CCFL screen. They will have to make the base model suck somehow.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Ah, September fantasies...

I think it will be like, wake up one September morning, turn on the news, they briefly say something about apples new ipods (not sure if they do in the US but they usually say something in Australia) then we will all hurry off to macrumors.com and there will be new macbooks and macbook pros and new iPods. It will be fun

He he! It'll be just like Christmas morning, with that shiny bike and cool field drum. :) Then Daddy Steve will take another swig outa the Jim Beam bottle, smack you on the side of the head, and yell, "But ya gotta wait till late November for your friggin' MacBook!" :(

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm going to be mad if this taking so long forces me to buy a current model. Apple is making me very unhappy as of late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.