PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game...

MacAztec
Jan 12, 2004, 10:53 PM
Have you guys read the book Ender's Game? Such an awesome book. There are quite a few books to the series, I'm on the fourth I believe. I think if this book (and the rest of the series) made it to the movies, it would come close to the greatness of LOTR.

Its 2070, forty years since a devastating alien invasion was barely turned back, and the world is desperately searching for soldiers to lead them to victory when the "Buggers" come again. That's why they're drafting young children who pass a rigorous screening, and sending the best of them to the orbiting Battle School, where they are trained from childhood to be ready for war in the vertiginous reaches of space.

Into the unending pressure of military training comes six-year-old Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, who struggles to keep his humanity even as the adult teachers, rivals among his fellow students, and the strange unseen influence of the alien invaders all threaten either to destroy him or to make him into someone he can't bear to be.

His genius raises him to the top of the intensely competitive games in the Battle Room, an immense null-gravity chamber where armies of youngsters engage in mock combat. But his real struggles are off the playing field - with a dangerous older boy named Bonzo Madrid who is determined that both he and Ender cannot survive in this place; with his teacher, Mazer Rackham, who won the last war on a fluke and now is trying to prepare Ender to win the next one by skill rather than luck; and with himself, as Ender wrestles with his own demons, desperate to remain a decent human being even as he sees himself being transformed into exactly the same kind of monster as the buggers themselves.

ColoJohnBoy
Jan 13, 2004, 12:20 AM
Well, your wish is coming true. Ender's Game is being made into a movie. The studio, I think it's Warner Brothers, is going to combine both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow to create one movie. Orson Scott Card wrote the script and turned it in a few months back. No word yet if there's anymore progress, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

topicolo
Jan 13, 2004, 12:22 AM
yeah, I read the first 4 books a while back. The series is notable for not being cheap pulp fiction. I really enjoyed how It explores a new way of looking at the xenophobia humanity seems to display with every new sci-fi flick showing us the dangers of evil aliens we must destroy.
In the end, the books made me see the fear that drives our real-world societies and how it often leads to violence and killing.

I loved the books. They were real pieces of art. There were rumors of a movie being made of Ender's Game but I didn't hear anything more about that.

ColoJohnBoy
Jan 13, 2004, 01:23 AM
Well, I think I'm getting the movie information from a pretty reliable person: Orson Scott Card. My family attended the same church as him for several years, and our families have remained friends since. Communication is a bit infrequent right now, but I milk as much as I can out of Brother Card. In any case, all I wrote before is the last he told me. I might have to write or call him sometime, ask a bit more. :p

Mr. Anderson
Jan 13, 2004, 08:33 AM
That's friggin great - if they can pull it off correctly, it could be quite a good flick. It all depends on who directs it - it has the potential to be a very dark film or a Harry Potter Goes to Space....;)

D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 13, 2004, 08:54 AM
A quick search and I found this

http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html

D :D

sketchy
Jan 13, 2004, 11:52 AM
I loved the Enderverse books. I have read all of the ender and shadow books, and the short sotry book. f you have completed the series (both) I reccomend reading the "first sightings" book. It gives interesting back story information, it might ruin some of the books if read out of order.

Card writes really good stuff. the Christopher Columbus book was a good read, as well as the homecoming series.

for movie info I check these two places:

http://www.hatrack.com/ --- official
http://www.philoticweb.net/movie/ ---- fansite

Dave

sonofslim
Jan 13, 2004, 12:04 PM
fantastic! always loved the books. and if Card wrote the screenplay, it's already got a strong start -- hopefully that means he's involved with the project and won't let some studio-heads make a mess of it.

topicolo
Jan 21, 2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the whole philotes theory was kinda interesting. kinda believable too.

evolu
Jan 21, 2004, 06:52 PM
Interesting to read this on a mac site - i actually didn't read the book but listened to it on my iPod - books on tape! Great story, would love to see it on the big screen.

evolu
Jan 21, 2004, 07:02 PM
sorry for the DP, but... Somebody posted a link that had another link (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html) on it that led me to this:

Be patient. The longer it takes, the better it's going to be. And in the meantime, we'll try to get some firstrate Ender's Game computer games out on the market so that some of you, at least, can get inside the battle room before the movie is released.

That would be rad.

howard
Jan 21, 2004, 07:34 PM
hehe i've always thought they should make it into a movie. excellent i do hope they pull it off.

it is probably my favorite book of all time...

so now for the votes...

who should they cast as ender?

Awimoway
Jan 21, 2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by howard
hehe i've always thought they should make it into a movie. excellent i do hope they pull it off.

it is probably my favorite book of all time...

so now for the votes...

who should they cast as ender?

Young or when he's older? If young, it probably doesn't matter. They are very few child actors who make big names for themselves and manage to put out a lot of films before they get older. So big roles often go to relative unknowns.

However, for what it's worth, when I read Ender's Game, I kind of imagined the kid who played Annakin in Phantom Menace. He would have been good for the role (albeit typecast), but is too old now, of course.