Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Can 3rd party apps use bluetooth at all? The iPhone's lack of support for its bluetooth is bloody annoying. I'd love an app similar to 'DataCase' but using Bluetooth. It'd just be nice to send photos through bluetooth. Anyone know the details on this?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No. I have some experience of the Bluetooth frameworks on Mac OSX and was going to create some cheap apps to allow the sending of contacts and photos over Bluetooth. But there is no access to the Bluetooth stack at all. The entire IOBluetooth framework that you would use on the desktop is missing.

It might be possible to open a low-level BSD socket if you knew the path to use but I doubt that that would work unless Apple have pre-created a Bluetooth serial port for this access (and if they have they haven't made it public).

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I would also note that A2DP has nothing to do with data transfer: it's for audio, most commonly stereo headsets.

Ah ok. Thank you. I just assumed that's what it was because whenever I read it, it was mentioned along side sending photos and contacts etc over bluetooth. Thanks for the clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.