Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
New York
Alright well, it isn't a total dilemma but I would like some advice on the situation.

As you know, college is coming around, and I need a laptop. With the student discount I can get a hundred dollars off, on top of that a free iPod touch, for college.

I have opted to get a non-apple laptop, but who wants that, I'd rather everything be easy to do, since I'm majoring in music and psychology.

I have an iPod touch already, so should I just wait until after the offer ends and forget the extra iPod touch, which I can sell/use, or just buy it now, or just get a regular cheap laptop, instead of forking over $999.

Any advice would be great.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
go ahead and get the current MB, its still a great machine, and you can sell off the extra touch for a good bit of money.

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm having the same problem. College literally starts for me in a week, I'm going crazy.

I don't understand why apple would be nice enough to release new macbooks in MAY last year, but the back to school crowd doesn't get jack shi this year. I feel pushed aside, like they don't want my money.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I'm having the same problem. College literally starts for me in a week, I'm going crazy.

I don't understand why apple would be nice enough to release new macbooks in MAY last year, but the back to school crowd doesn't get jack shi this year. I feel pushed aside, like they don't want my money.

$100 off, free iPod touch, free printer, discounts on software and hardware for college students.

Sounds like Apple does want your money. I think it is an awesome promotion they are doing. What else do you want? Give it to you for free?

HerrRolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
but the back to school crowd doesn't get jack shi this year. I feel pushed aside, like they don't want my money.

A free iPod touch and printer is jack sh*t? :confused: That's 400 dollars worth of free stuff. Not to mention the student discount. I respectfully disagree with you.

HerrRolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
$100 off, free iPod touch, free printer, discounts on software and hardware for college students.

Sounds like Apple does want your money. I think it is an awesome promotion they are doing. What else do you want? Give it to you for free?

You beat me Hogfaninga, by about 3 seconds :D

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
I suggest you wait until after September 9th, which seems to be the current rumor for an update. Then you can still get in just under the deadline for the free ipod touch.

ShaneR

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
There's also a possiblilty for you to receive a discount on AppleCare...I received AppleCare for $149...which is like $80 off the standard price...Apple definately does want your money, but in a good way...

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
New York
i read that there's an option to return your macbook within like 30 days or something, so that you can trade it in for a new one?

is that true?

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Just wait for the revised macbooks, sure you'll have to wait a few weeks, but at least you wont be kicking yourself when you get it.

if you get the current macs, and the new ones come out, you'll feel like jumping off a bridge.

ShaneR

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Just wait for the revised macbooks, sure you'll have to wait a few weeks, but at least you wont be kicking yourself when you get it.

if you get the current macs, and the new ones come out, you'll feel like jumping off a bridge.

No.. if the upgrade is small, which isnt the rumor, then there is no reason to even care that you have the previous model compared to the new upgrade...if the upgrade is large, which is expected, you'll be purchasing the first revision, so you'll be having some expected problems.

You can go with the current and probably more stable macbook, or you can wait and get the new upgrade which will probably have some defects for a while.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I doubt too many people will be as heartbroken as you think they will.

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin

I don't care about discounts. I want the NEW MACBOOK. Money is no object, well actually it is, but I have enough money with or without the discounts. I want the best computer for the money. I'm not going to buy the old model now, only for them to come out with a way better one a few weeks later, for the same price, without the dumb free ipod touch which I don't want and don't feel like selling.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I don't care about discounts. I want the NEW MACBOOK. Money is no object, well actually it is, but I have enough money with or without the discounts. I want the best computer for the money. I'm not going to buy the old model now, only for them to come out with a way better one a few weeks later, for the same price, without the dumb free ipod touch which I don't want and don't feel like selling.

Then stop whining and wait.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
New York
this is tough.

i just wish i got a chance to see the new specs of the new macbook coming out.

my college starts september 2nd, so i can wait a few weeks before i get a macbook.

jokun

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
It won't qualify. The free Ipod touch is with specific models.

According to the terms and conditions, ALL new Macs (with the exception of the mac mini and 17" imac) will get you a free touch when purchased with the education discount.

Steve Jobs himself. Or the apple website said:
All new Macintosh computers and the Configure-to-order versions of these products are eligible, except for Mac mini and 17-inch iMac.
http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS08_TCS.pdf

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
According to the terms and conditions, ALL new Macs (with the exception of the mac mini and 17" imac) will get you a free touch when purchased with the education discount.

http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS08_TCS.pdf

it also says:
Apple reserves the right to change the
Terms and Conditions, modify the offer, or end the offer at any time without notice. For more information or to learn the status of your rebate request, please go
to http://www.apple.com/promo/rebate/status.html or call (877) 427-5776.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Buy it now its a great deal, I did :)
I have to agree here. It's not like we're talking about the MacMini that is suffering the update lag that the Cinema displays are (as people complain).
this is tough.

i just wish i got a chance to see the new specs of the new macbook coming out.

my college starts september 2nd, so i can wait a few weeks before i get a macbook.
If you can wait until your 2nd 3rd or even 4th week to get a new computer then yes, wait. Remember though, if the product is announced and start so to ship 9/9 then you risk being someone who has to wait 7-30 days longer depending upon where you buy and their stock. In the end it could be 6 weeks before you get a computer in hand. Think about this when you're running around with your MacBook that is shoved in a bag full of books for the next 4 years (hopefully) of college. ;)

and we should all do what Sandy does ...
Well maybe not, but she is of the rare population of people who buy whatever is out beacuse regardless, it's a great machine. I bought my Cinema display a year ago when everyone screamed it was outdated tech. It was and continues to be suitable for what I need it for. The same goes for my MP that was purchased end of April. Sure, I could sit on my ass and wait a few months, but I didn't need to/want to. The machine performs just as I need it to.

Actually what Sandy does/says is quite refreshing for these forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.