Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
OK so I bought Dell Insprion 1525 (2GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, VHP), a few months ago for £480.

I bought the 3G at 8.02am on the 11th. I really like it bar the usual probs people have posted on.

It makes me want to try out a mac, however only having bought a Vista laptop a few months ago I was wondering if you guys thought it was worth an addional £400 odd on a new MB with worse specs?

I was hoping I could sell the dell for ~£400 odd on ebay as still have 3 years warranty.

I assume I wont need the same RAM on OSX and I dont really need the 250 HDD so was thinking of the middle white MB or maybe wating till the autumn updates.

Anyone been through something similar thanks to the 3G?

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
how much of those "better specs" are used to run that OS? (i hate vista)

True, lets say they are equiverlent in real world (as dont need the xtra HDD space) but just wondered if the OS is £400 better and if anyone else was thinking or been thru the same thing.

jdaco6

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
True, lets say they are equiverlent in real world (as dont need the xtra HDD space) but just wondered if the OS is £400 better and if anyone else was thinking or been thru the same thing.

Dell 1525 is a good laptop and as it is quite new so I wouldent suggest selling it. I would also wait until the 'New' Macbook's come out be that September or Macworld 2009 whatever the case maybe! You are in prime position to pick up apple's latest tech when its out, there is no rush to jump on board now!
In regards to the laptop itself I wouldent recommend spending £400 just for a different OS I would suggest you to wait maybe a year or so so the Macbook's specs are higher and the inustry has moved on so you can make your purchace worthwile and not just waste money for the sake of the 'Apple Logo'. If you have the money and want to jump now on the other hand GO FOR IT! :) :apple:

Hope that helps, Jdaco6

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008

I just recently switched and I think the price was worth it. Though, if you have a really good working laptop I'd suggest waiting (unless you can't or just don't want to). I'll warn you though to make sure you can use your most used programs on a Mac before you switch... sometimes that can mean everything.

There's a few programs that I can't use on my Mac but I can at least still use them on my Windows computer so that's good... otherwise I would have been iffy about the Mac.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Unless you have a bunch of money to burn, you don't need both. If you do plan on picking up an MB, then sell the Dell. Otherwise, stick with the current unit and replace it with a Mac when it's time for a new computer.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Unless you have a bunch of money to burn, you don't need both. If you do plan on picking up an MB, then sell the Dell. Otherwise, stick with the current unit and replace it with a Mac when it's time for a new computer.

I was only going to have 1, just wondered if its worth selling dell and spending an additional £400 on getting MB, maybe wait to new release in autumn and reass

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I was only going to have 1, just wondered if its worth selling dell and spending an additional £400 on getting MB, maybe wait to new release in autumn and reass

Sorry, I must have misread your sentence:
It makes me want to try out a mac, however only having bought a Vista laptop a few months ago I was wondering if you guys thought it was worth an addional £400 odd on a new MB with worse specs?

I assumed that you meant spending 400+ again, not 400+ on top of the 400 you've already spent. Are you saying the MacBook is double the price of the Dell?

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Sorry, I must have misread your sentence:

I assumed that you meant spending 400+ again, not 400+ on top of the 400 you've already spent. Are you saying the MacBook is double the price of the Dell?

Yep Dell was £450 rec sell for £400, MB is £800 for the 160GB HDD. so Dell is half price for 3gb ram vs 2gb, 2ghz vs 2.4, 250gb HDD vs 160GB in MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.