Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I recently put together a tribute video to my all-time favourite movie - 'Ghostbusters'. It was edited in FCP, and I'd really appreciate any feedback on my editing prowess, including anything I need to improve on. Thanks.

PS - Please choose the 'high quality' version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-b3aY5yK_0

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Good job, very linear and simple, but nice little tribute.

I'd suggest "making it your own" by slowing down (or speeding up) footage to create a "mood". Also you could have had a cutout type effect on each of the Ghostbusters (Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, etc.) to introduce/remind people of them, slow down the walking shot to mimic The Right Stuff.

These are just ideas, but these ideas and your own new ones would take it to the next level and get some nice practice in Photoshop/Final Cut. :p

Griffter

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Exeter, UK
Really really good I would say. If you fancy another idea for a project, its always a laugh to make your own trailer for a film, creates a new dimension and challenge for you to work on, and remember some of the best trailers don't require a voiceover!

As for editing, as has already been said, play around with the speeds, you can do this by using the 'motion' setting in the viewer and setting keyframes. Something else you might want to try is composting layers of film next to each other, you may have seen this technique used in 24 and Spooks, you can see how i've used it, although in a basic fashion on my showreel @ it-mediasolutions.co.uk

Keep up the good work :)

tchaap

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Great tribute. I enjoyed it.

How did you get the movie footage to FCE for editing? I don't use FCE, imovie for now, but I'm sure the technique is the same.

Thanks

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Great job!

Only thing you might want to do is add some dissolves between the characters introductions

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Thanks to everyone for their great compliments and excellent advice! As for how I got the footage into Final Cut, I ripped the whole movie from the DVD using Handbrake.

I'm hoping to get freelance FCP work in the future, so if anyone has any advice on what I should put in a showreel, or what footage I should use (and where to get it from!)...I'd really appreciate it!

Again, thanks to everyone so far. :)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I'm hoping to get freelance FCP work in the future, so if anyone has any advice on what I should put in a showreel, or what footage I should use (and where to get it from!)...I'd really appreciate it!

Again, thanks to everyone so far. :)

Do not use any material from a project that you weren't the editor for...Don't include mashup videos (like the Ghostbusters one). Get footage by shooting it or by editing your friends' projects.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Do not use any material from a project that you weren't the editor for...Don't include mashup videos (like the Ghostbusters one). Get footage by shooting it or by editing your friends' projects.

Very good point. Use the Ghostbusters stuff to cut your teeth on and get used to recognizing what well shot footage is, how to manipulate it, etc. but use original material for your own portfolio - shows respect to copyright law as well, something the film industry is extremely hot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.