PDA

View Full Version : 228 fully 'tard MR members (500+ posts)

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 09:51 AM
Because of MWSF there has been an invasion of newbies recently (hello all & welcome! :D). The vB UID's are up to the high 27k's :eek: I am a 4k, quite old skool by todays MR standards.
Anyway, just thought I'd do a little check, and it turns out we have 228 'tard up members here now, not bad eh?

Hello fellow MRtarians (made that word up, like it? thanks :p)

edit: changed title slightly ;)

robbieduncan
Jan 13, 2004, 10:10 AM
But not all of the 228 members who have over 500 posts have tars (for example me!)

iGav
Jan 13, 2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
But not all of the 228 members who have over 500 posts have tars (for example me!)

I didn't have a 'tar for donkey yonks either.... I zoomed past 500 (this was in the days when post count was still displayed) and I still didn't notice I was eligible... I have no idea how many posts I've got, somewhere in the 2k I think... I must check one of these days... :)

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 10:32 AM
heh, ok, ok, "228 eligible for 'tars" ;)

mactastic
Jan 13, 2004, 10:42 AM
Wow, I really feel special. Only 227 other 'tards out there like me. Schweet.:D

Shifty
Jan 13, 2004, 10:43 AM
WOW! Only 228 people out of 27,000 with over 500 posts?

You can get people to register, but the tricky bit is getting people to post.

PS. I'm member number 21701

tpjunkie
Jan 13, 2004, 11:20 AM
Cool, i thought there were a lot more of us running around though...how do you check what number you are?

EDIT: Nevermind, i found it. I'm lucky number 12993

Backtothemac
Jan 13, 2004, 11:27 AM
3,127 here. Wow, I guess I am old school too. :)

jayscheuerle
Jan 13, 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Shifty

Even trickier is getting them to post something worth reading... :p

Where do you find your number?

Got it. #1733. Longtime member, but didn't really start posting until I got kicked out of the Apple forums. Ahhh, those were the days!!

Stike
Jan 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
I dont find my registration number... anyway, MWSF 2002 was the event that made me register here! :D

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
Wow, I really feel special. Only 227 other 'tards out there like me. Schweet.:D

I don't think it's a good thing to call us 'tards. :D :rolleyes:

Shifty
Jan 13, 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Even trickier is getting them to post something worth reading... :p

Hehe, that's true. :D

Where do you find your number?

Oh, click on your username, wherever you have posted, and look at the url. the last few numbers are your member id.

such as yours is http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1733

you are member number 1733

jayscheuerle
Jan 13, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku

I'm getting close to 1000 posts. Can I be a re-tard poster then? :eek:

Shifty
Jan 13, 2004, 12:01 PM

hehe.

for a minute, when I looked at the title of this thread, I thought ed was saying there were 228 retarded MR members, with over 500 posts. :p

sonofslim
Jan 13, 2004, 12:08 PM
I thought ed was saying there were 228 retarded MR members, with over 500 posts. :p

more interesting would be to see how many MR members have over 500 retarded posts...

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 12:22 PM
for those wondering how to find their serial number, find one of your posts in a thread and then hover over your "Profile" button, the id number at the end of the link detail is your number.:)

There may be a simpler way, but I haven't found one yet.

mactastic
Jan 13, 2004, 12:34 PM

I know, I'm waiting for the PC police to come get me for that one. But don't worry, I included myself in that list of 'tards as well.;)

And it looks like I'm 16467. New school.

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kettle
for those wondering how to find their serial number, find one of your posts in a thread and then hover over your "Profile" button, the id number at the end of the link detail is your number.:)

Thank you, I was just about to post that. :)

Looks like the the phrase "'tard up MR members" may have been a mistake :eek: :D oh well...u all know what I mean :)

vniow
Jan 13, 2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by sonofslim
more interesting would be to see how many MR members have over 500 retarded posts... See this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20569) thread.

wdlove
Jan 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
I'm actually very suprised that there aren't more than 228 forum members with more than 500 posts. With the example robbieduncan not everyone is fully "tarded," so I wonder how many of those don't have an Avatar?

Normally 10% are active, but it is certainly not the case here.

Well I just checked. I'm number 12,485, at the mid point. Proud member of this forum.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2004, 12:55 PM
hehe.

for a minute, when I looked at the title of this thread, I thought ed was saying there were 228 retarded MR members, with over 500 posts. :p

He was going to end up Special ed, not just plain ed. :D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 13, 2004, 01:26 PM
wow, I remember when there were only a handful of tars....eye, arn....

D

neoelectronaut
Jan 13, 2004, 01:27 PM
Man, halfway there. THIS post will be my 250th.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 13, 2004, 01:30 PM
Wow. thats really not a lot. I thought that there are much more Tard members. And by the way. I don't like the expression. Tard. Its weird

agreenster
Jan 13, 2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
wow, I remember when there were only a handful of tars....eye, arn....

D

Gawd. I'm 2830. Guess I've been around for a while. I only registered one month after Mr. Anderson? Sheesh. I have some catchin up to do ;) And I still use my original tar. maybe I should switch it someday.

Nah. Need to get my frikkin demo reel done and quit posting!:rolleyes:

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
And I still use my original tar. maybe I should switch it someday.

Nooooooo! Never change it, I love that 'tar :D

It inspired one of my old ones -->

http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/images/QS_LCD_50x50_v2_0.gif

janey
Jan 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
wow. amazing. 228. i expected more :P

now, if only arn would purge the member list to delete anyone who has been inactive for a while...some really good user names are taken by people who haven't been on these forums for a while (or they just dont post)

mc68k
Jan 13, 2004, 02:36 PM
i guess when i switched tars from my LISA to the 128K again i was re-'tarded :p

rueyeet
Jan 13, 2004, 02:48 PM
Well, at #17,595 I'm definitely a newcomer. But with 300 posts, I'm more than halfway to 'tardom. And all that since I registered on 6-10-2003!

No trouble here. :D

On a side note, I was looking for my post count in the member list so I'd have my facts straight, and noticed a LOT of people who'd just signed up and never posted, not even once. I agree with übergeek--maybe those zero-post users who registered more than some time period ago could be deleted?

jelloshotsrule
Jan 13, 2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mc68k

hahahahahahahahah... ahh man, i haven't actually laughed at a post on here... well, besides the various ppp threads.

you're the man dawg

edesignuk
Jan 13, 2004, 03:02 PM
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/rollinglaugh.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/rollinglaugh.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/rollinglaugh.gif

Gymnut
Jan 13, 2004, 03:10 PM
Whee!

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
wow. amazing. 228. i expected more :P

now, if only arn would purge the member list to delete anyone who has been inactive for a while...some really good user names are taken by people who haven't been on these forums for a while (or they just dont post)

That's a really good point, when I was looking through the member list, there were loads that had zero posts. Surely arn would know how many of these users haven't logged in with therse accounts in the last six months or year? Unless Arn would rather just keep a running record of registered users active or not.
oh well, one can but wonder.

Nermal
Jan 13, 2004, 05:30 PM
So how long until someone makes a montage of all the 'tars?

BTW, I'm number 13233.

szark
Jan 13, 2004, 05:56 PM
User #5015 here.

Interesting to see all of the 'tarred (and feathered) users in one place... :D

MoparShaha
Jan 13, 2004, 06:01 PM
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :p.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2004, 06:28 PM
Aren't chu all getting 'tard of this?

pivo6
Jan 13, 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
So how long until someone makes a montage of all the 'tars?

BTW, I'm number 13233.

Are you suggesting a directory of 'tars like the picture directory? That might be interesting. I just got my 'tar this month. so I'm pretty new to the club.

BTW, I'm member # 13083

Nermal
Jan 13, 2004, 07:20 PM
Sort of, I just thought I'd throw a wild suggestion out there and see what happens to it :)

manitoublack
Jan 13, 2004, 07:22 PM
Well I'll be posting under this user name until My account is reactivated.

But yes: I am suprised that only 228 members have over 500 posts.

P.S: How long are accounts deactivated/banned/revoked for on a first affence. edesignuk I know you were behind me getting banned, no hard feelings.

latergator116
Jan 13, 2004, 07:28 PM
I just recently got a tar with 500 and something posts. I actually have more like 900 posts but I got banned a few times with other accounts (shh! don't tell anyone) But I'm clean now so don't worry; I don't cause any trouble.

Rower_CPU
Jan 13, 2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I just recently got a tar with 500 and something posts. I actually have more like 900 posts but I got banned a few times with other accounts (shh! don't tell anyone) But I'm clean now so don't worry; I don't cause any trouble.

*ahem* ;)

Tell your brother (or whoever it is that was posting as maclover666) to chill out with the re-registering and messing around. They never replied to my PM.

latergator116
Jan 13, 2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
*ahem* ;)

Tell your brother (or whoever it is that was posting as maclover666) to chill out with the re-registering and messing around. They never replied to my PM.

Don't worry. I already beat his ass. He just has nothing better to do than harrass people. I think his account is banned now. Feel free to ban any other accounts that he makes.

He is preaching everywhere that OS X sucks and that Linux is so much better, but just the other day he had to use my computer because he had some major problem with linux (gentoo linux)

funkywhat2
Jan 13, 2004, 10:05 PM
I'm 5762. Yet I have no posts. I really shouldn't have taken those months off.

Now if only I could find a 'tar to be proud of.

scem0
Jan 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by vniow
See this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20569) thread.

Lord knows I've seen plenty of that thread ;) (not that that that is a bad thing).

Well, I feel like an old timer with my 4656 posts (soon to be 4657 :)). But I know I'm not.

There are some people who have been here a LOOOOONG time, but there are only a precious few.

scem0

Im member 6087

G5orbust
Jan 14, 2004, 01:03 AM
wahoo, I got me a tar and 2x more than the posts required to get one.

Member # 5391. Damn didnt make the first 5000....

edesignuk
Jan 14, 2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by manitoublack
edesignuk I know you were behind me getting banned, no hard feelings.
:confused: :confused: :confused: I was???

revenuee
Jan 14, 2004, 01:33 AM
27000 members

228 tard and i'm member 21385

wow. ... i have no life

mc68k
Jan 14, 2004, 01:39 AM
where r u all fidnng this sequential member # join info?

TIA

revenuee
Jan 14, 2004, 01:51 AM

TIA

as stated

hit profile under your own post ... and the number that shows up in your URL is your member number.

it shows up the same way that this thread is 657177

edesignuk
Jan 14, 2004, 02:38 AM

TIA
Just roll over your profile button under one of your posts, u'll see it and the end of the URL in the status bar.

true777
Jan 14, 2004, 03:52 AM
I'm member number 1029.

Darn, I thought I might be in the 3-digit range.
Oh well, I guess I'm ancient either way (just look at my join date).

Tiauguinho
Jan 14, 2004, 03:58 AM
Well, I'm member 4250. And I just reached my 500th post a few days ago :)

Shifty
Jan 14, 2004, 04:38 AM
I'm soon approaching the 500 spot. Hope to get an avatar soon.

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by vniow
See this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20569) thread. i protest! i only have 400-something retarded posts in that one.

bont
Jan 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
Why the preoccupation about making xxxx amount of posts ?

I have to say though, it gives us lurkers something to read :)

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by bont

I have to say though, it gives us lurkers something to read :) because, my dear watson, 500 posts gives you a dandy little picture to associate with yourself! elementary! ;)

edesignuk
Jan 14, 2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bont

I have to say though, it gives us lurkers something to read :)
There is no "preoccupation", it just means that these are the real regulars, not just passers through @ MacWorld events.
Originally posted by shadowfax
because, my dear watson, 500 posts gives you a dandy little picture to associate with yourself! elementary! ;)
Yup, and that! Just don't spam your way there ;)

Sun Baked
Jan 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
i protest! i only have 400-something retarded posts in that one. You're right, you have far more outside that thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=178911

bont
Jan 14, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
There is no "preoccupation", it just means that these are the real regulars, not just passers through @ MacWorld events.

It was the fact that a few members seem to spam their way a little towards this goal that I was referring to. I don't think I'll ever get to avatar status, nothing to report on the Mac front from me, still happily getting by on OS 8.6....:)

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
You're right, you have far more outside that thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=178911 oh, certainly. every time i talk to you, it seems...

;)

wdlove
Jan 14, 2004, 02:18 PM
oh, certainly. every time i talk to you, it seems...

;)

I'm impressed shadowfax, you took the time go through the geek thread in it's entirety. I would respectfully disagree, your posting contributes to the discussion.

If it is not private information, I would be interested to know what new activity you have engaged?

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I'm impressed shadowfax, you took the time go through the geek thread in it's entirety. I would respectfully disagree, your posting contributes to the discussion.

If it is not private information, I would be interested to know what new activity you have engaged? lol, no, i don't have that kind of time, wd. i just know that i only had 400-odd posts in the thread.

as for the comment, i'm just jiving ;)

thanks for the compliment, though.

sonofslim
Jan 14, 2004, 02:44 PM
might it technically be 'tarred? as in, avatarred? and what's the word for using a noun as an adjective -- there is a word for that, right? i'm kind of lost here, grammatically speaking.

although, i have to be honest... i like 'tard because it performs double duty in those few cases where possession of an avatar doesn't say "listen to me, because i've been here for a while" but rather "ignore me, because i'm a prolific moron."

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2004, 02:49 PM
are you "'tarred and feathered," son?

edesignuk
Jan 14, 2004, 02:49 PM
although, i have to be honest... i like 'tard because it performs double duty in those few cases where possession of an avatar doesn't say "listen to me, because i've been here for a while" but rather "ignore me, because i'm a prolific moron."
Names? :eek: :p

sonofslim
Jan 14, 2004, 02:55 PM
Names? :eek: :p

uh, yeah... there's "BadIdea2004", "IGotYerPersonalAttackRightHereBuddy", and "ModsBanMePromptly."

G5orbust
Jan 14, 2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by revenuee
27000 members

228 tard and i'm member 21385

wow. ... i have no life

damn dude, Ive been here almost more than a year longer than you and you have more posts...you really do have no life (but then again, do any of us?)

robbieduncan
Jan 14, 2004, 03:50 PM
This thread has finally got me to put in an Avatar. It's only temporary at the moment, will use something better when I get some time...

revenuee
Jan 14, 2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
damn dude, Ive been here almost more than a year longer than you and you have more posts...you really do have no life (but then again, do any of us?)

I use this forum when i procrastinate doing work.

I procrastinate a lot

Powerbook G5
Jan 14, 2004, 07:15 PM
So I guess I am member number 18793. Are these going to be tattooed on us like prison numbers at some point in the future?

MrMacMan
Jan 14, 2004, 11:56 PM
This thread has finally got me to put in an Avatar. It's only temporary at the moment, will use something better when I get some time...

Hmm... Increases avatar size x100

Futurama?

:confused:

(I think)...

I am user ID# 1807...

I have a billion posts... :rolleyes:

And I'm here for 3-10 years with a mandatory 3 years...

:p

shadowfax
Jan 15, 2004, 12:12 AM
since when does <5400 = ~a billion?

lol :p

sonofslim
Jan 15, 2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Hmm... Increases avatar size x100

Futurama?

planet express intern amy wong, of course. i wish i had 2 DVD players so i could watch Futurama and Family Guy at the same time...

oh, and "tard." (for topic's sake.)

Shifty
Jan 15, 2004, 04:45 PM

Damn. My plan's ruined. :D :p

job
Jan 15, 2004, 05:15 PM
wow....i'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. it's a +1 post count thread. :p

i haven't really posted all that much anymore. honestly, there arn't any more good rumors, and with the influx of new members every time an expo rolls around, the small community feeling that was here when i first joined seems to have vanished. oh well. call me nostalgic....

oh, my UID is 3781

bousozoku
Jan 15, 2004, 05:21 PM

You forgot the age compensation handicap multiplier. :D

MrMacMan
Jan 15, 2004, 07:26 PM

So what if my claim lacks no backing!

Thats what makes it a clain, not a fact!

--Huzzah! (yes you can quote me :p)

planet express intern amy wong, of course. i wish i had 2 DVD players so i could watch Futurama and Family Guy at the same time...

oh, and "tard." (for topic's sake.)
Ah, thats is what I thought, I got the Family Guy DVD Season 1 & 2 for christmas... really funny show, great that they are brining it back.

You forgot the age compensation handicap multiplier. :D
A ha!

A beter answer. ;)

Sun Baked
Jan 15, 2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
So what if my claim lacks no backing!

Thats what makes it a clain, not a fact!

--Huzzah! (yes you can quote me :p) Now you are sounding like a politician. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=650301

job
Jan 15, 2004, 10:10 PM
Now you are sounding like a politician. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=650301

kinda scary ain't it?

i'm surprised an opposition party to the ppp hasn't formed yet. :p

scem0
Jan 15, 2004, 10:20 PM
[i]
i'm surprised an opposition party to the ppp hasn't formed yet. :p [/B]

That's an idea...

APAPPFBAPPP

Anti-Pro-Anti-Pro people for being against the PPP.

But I have nothing against this so called PPP.

scem0

job
Jan 15, 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by scem0
That's an idea...

APAPPFBAPPP

Anti-Pro-Anti-Pro people for being against the PPP.

But I have nothing against this so called PPP.

scem0

i don't have anything against them either, but this could be interesting.

:D

Doctor Q
Jan 15, 2004, 10:53 PM
I'd be curious to know what percentage of posts have an avatar attached. This is not the same as the percentage of members with avatars, since the 'tard members correlate with the postliest members. Anybody want to count a sample of posts from a random thread or two and see what percentage you get?

No, I didn't volunteer to do it myself. I'm no good at math.

But I did read every single post in the geek thread.

airmac
Jan 16, 2004, 03:49 AM
userid=20755

geez :o :D :confused:

:eek:

Tiauguinho
Jan 16, 2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

But I did read every single post in the geek thread.

LOL! Thats some amazing achievement! :D

WinterMute
Jan 16, 2004, 04:29 AM
Member 14304 signing in...

I thought I'd done pretty well to get up to 1400 posts since last Feb, I know Scem0 and PBG5 are showing us all a clean pair of heels, and ole Tazo was a shining post count monster there for a while, but it's not really the point is it?

NO.

spamming and flame wars, they are the point...

Oh, and the PPP of course.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 07:09 AM
I'd be curious to know what percentage of posts have an avatar attached.

Not too hard to figure out - just take all the posts of the top 228 (minus the few non tarred ones) and add them up and divide by the total number of posts.

Currently 654,811 posts. Even a quick calc of the top ten comes out to 11.85% - my guess is that the tarred posts would be about 30-40% of all posts.

D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 08:55 AM
Update:

Looking at the top 100 (99 of which have over 1000 posts :D) and subtracting MacRumors (#4) that doesn't have a tar, collectively they have 237,836 posts as of 9:45 this morning.

That gives the top 100 36.31% of the total posts....not a bad estimate above, although it actually might be more than 40% for the top 288.

D

eyelikeart
Jan 16, 2004, 09:06 AM
That gives the top 100 36.31% of the total posts....not a bad estimate above, although it actually might be more than 40% for the top 288.

That's a lot of posts.

I still cannot believe there's 228 'tared people around here! :eek:

revenuee
Jan 16, 2004, 09:30 AM
Update:

Looking at the top 100 (99 of which have over 1000 posts :D) and subtracting MacRumors (#4) that doesn't have a tar, collectively they have 237,836 posts as of 9:45 this morning.

D

top 99 have over 1000 posts?

woo hoo -- i'm in the top 99

geekdom here i come

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 09:44 AM
actually, assuming a distribution weighted more towards 650 as an average of the remaining 188 members and plugging that into the equation, a better estimate of the percentage of posts by the top 288 comes out to be ~ 55%.....

Ouch!

That means that the other 45% of the posts are from the 27,558 other members.....

D

eyelikeart
Jan 16, 2004, 10:30 AM
It's still a lot considering the amount of newbies & slightly "newer" posters we have here.

Doctor Q
Jan 16, 2004, 11:05 AM
Nice figuring, Mr. Anderson! Would we expect that percentage to change over time?

My member number and my current post count both occur within the digits of pi, and my home address, phone number, and social security number do too! Don't you think that makes me special?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 11:10 AM
Nice figuring, Mr. Anderson! Would we expect that percentage to change over time?

Probably not by much.

It would be easier to get a php script to run and pull the numbers out and automate the calculation....

D

sonofslim
Jan 16, 2004, 11:30 AM
That means that the other 45% of the posts are from the 27,558 other members.....

woooo! can i get an 'amen' from the other 27,557 under-650-post MRers?

would anyone believe me if i said i'd registered over 500 different names and posted once as each?

manitoublack
Jan 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
It's still a lot considering the amount of newbies & slightly "newer" posters we have here.

And considering that after being banned by persons unknown (sorry edesignuk for my inital out burst) tarred members have to start form scratch.:(

a better estimate of the percentage of posts by the top 288 comes out to be ~ 55%.....

Damit I was in that top 228:p

Sun Baked
Jan 16, 2004, 04:15 PM
And considering that after being banned by persons unknown (sorry edesignuk for my inital out burst) tarred members have to start form scratch.:(Don't worry you aren't the only banned tard member.

revenuee
Jan 16, 2004, 04:17 PM
actually, assuming a distribution weighted more towards 650 as an average of the remaining 188 members and plugging that into the equation, a better estimate of the percentage of posts by the top 288 comes out to be ~ 55%.....

Ouch!

D

But isn't that true for most clubs/groups

i mean take a gym .. you have a percentage of those that come in regularly and do so for years ...and you see these guys when ever you go in ... but then there is that precentage of new people that make resolutions but don't keep them.

and so you have maybe 11% regulars but they spend the most time .. .wile the 89 who are left over are just people that come in once in a wile and you rearly see them twice.

or a pup ... you get regulars who come in and spend the most amount of money, and then you get a high percentage that end just pass through

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 04:32 PM
But isn't that true for most clubs/groups

i mean take a gym .. you have a percentage of those that come in regularly and do so for years ...and you see these guys when ever you go in ... but then there is that precentage of new people that make resolutions but don't keep them.

and so you have maybe 11% regulars but they spend the most time .. .wile the 89 who are left over are just people that come in once in a wile and you rearly see them twice.

but in this case 1% of the members accounts for over 50% of the posts....kind of skewed, no?

D

revenuee
Jan 16, 2004, 04:39 PM
but in this case 1% of the members accounts for over 50% of the posts....kind of skewed, no?

D

But when i look at the list of members ... there are members that have like 1 post ... and the last time they posted was 7 or 8 months ago ...

or there are members that have 0 posts and they have been members for several months.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 04:40 PM
or there are members that have 0 posts and they have been members for several months.

try years with no posts...;)

but its a lot of posts for such a small group - mind you, I'm not complaining - me and my 2%+ are in there you know :D

D

revenuee
Jan 16, 2004, 04:52 PM
try years with no posts...;)

but its a lot of posts for such a small group - mind you, I'm not complaining - me and my 2%+ are in there you know :D

D

And then there are the members that come in with a specific question, get what they need, and don't comeback.

is there a way for you do a list of how many active users there are with "member" status in the last say 6 months?

and then how many posts were made since then, and of that time how many have been by tarred members.

I think that would give us a more accurate account of how much do we the tards (:D) account for.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 16, 2004, 08:14 PM

I think that would give us a more accurate account of how much do we the tards (:D) account for.

I don't have that much spare time ;)

The other stuff was easy - what you're asking requires working directly with the database and doing some coding....

D

revenuee
Jan 17, 2004, 12:20 AM
I don't have that much spare time ;)

The other stuff was easy - what you're asking requires working directly with the database and doing some coding....

D

I totally understand ...

but you have to admit that i make a good point ... i mean you said it yourself .. .there are members that have gone years with no post ... so including them in the 27k+ members list would definitely skew the results

mac15
Jan 17, 2004, 03:44 AM
Ask all of the old skoolers, I spammed my way to 500. Yeah the excitement of a tar had me doing silly things :)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 17, 2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by mac15
Ask all of the old skoolers, I spammed my way to 500. Yeah the excitement of a tar had me doing silly things :)

Your run to 500 could not happen today :D

Half of your posts made absolutely no sense what so ever.....

revenuee: looking at the active members, even ones with just one post might not be that hard, just have to find the cut off.

D

Doctor Q
Jan 17, 2004, 01:48 PM
As you know, I like MacRumors navel-gazing as much as anyone. Does this make us macrumorologists or macrumorticians?

Sun Baked
Jan 17, 2004, 02:21 PM
As you know, I like MacRumors navel-gazing as much as anyone. Does this make us macrumorologists or macrumorticians? Is that some sort of voyeuristic MacRumor thread necrophilia?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 17, 2004, 06:36 PM
14482 members out of 27925 have posted at least 1 post.

Amazing, actually 51.86% of the members have posted.....

wow - and of those 14482, 4357 have only posted once. So 10125 have posted more than once.

What does this all mean? I have no idea....just doing my MacRumors Naval Gazing :D

D

revenuee
Jan 17, 2004, 07:05 PM

wow - and of those 14482, 4357 have only posted once. So 10125 have posted more than once.

What does this all mean? I have no idea....just doing my MacRumors Naval Gazing :D

D

it gives you an idea of big/active the community actually is
so now we know that the tarred members account for 2.2% vs the 0.8 % that we accounted for :)

Billicus
Jan 17, 2004, 08:13 PM
Well, I registered on 04-03-02 and I have 682 posts. (A little over a post a day.) I've really enjoyed my stay here on MacRumors. I've also been around long enough to know people that have gotten banned (Skrek) & witness the coming of new mega-posters (PowerBookG5). :D

michaelrjohnson
Jan 17, 2004, 08:16 PM
I happen to be #540. I've been around for awhile?! Gosh, time flies.

wdlove
Jan 17, 2004, 08:37 PM
As you know, I like MacRumors navel-gazing as much as anyone. Does this make us macrumorologists or macrumorticians?

Doctor Q, you are definitely our resident statistician. If anyone can make sense of all this, I know that you can. We defintley are not 'macrumorticians,' that would be looking dead items on the forum. So I say that we are 'macrumorologists,' which would just simply be the study of this forum. That is IMHO, thoughts?

manitoublack
Jan 18, 2004, 12:21 AM
Don't worry you aren't the only banned tard member.

Is there any way to get the account reactivated?

I really don't fell like starting from scratch to get my tar back

Sun Baked
Jan 18, 2004, 12:39 AM

I really don't fell like starting from scratch to get my tar back But you were running around baiting Rower quite a bit at the beginning.

And then you tried it recently with eyelikeart...

So now you'll have to talk to arn about your account.

manitoublack
Jan 18, 2004, 12:56 AM
But you were running around baiting Rower quite a bit at the beginning.

And then you tried it recently with eyelikeart...

So now you'll have to talk to arn about your account.

Rower and I made our peace, since we were both as bad as each other.

I believe the straw that broke the cammels back was the "it lasted 10 minutes, how long did your rubbish post last" thread. I never really had any beef with eyelikeart. Except that I know he/she trashed the last two Treads I started. I didn't expect them to last long.

I'm thinking of the right way to contact Arn. I've sent one message but am yet to recieve a reply.

mac15
Jan 18, 2004, 01:46 AM
Your run to 500 could not happen today :D

Half of your posts made absolutely no sense what so ever.....

They made sense, well probably just to me anyways. Most of them were short half liners or things like quotes to a really good with me replying 'true'. Wasted posts but fun anyhow :)

edesignuk
Jan 18, 2004, 04:14 AM

PM arn and talk about it.

edit: never mind, just noticed that you have managed to get this account banned aswell :rolleyes:

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 05:23 AM

D

That sounds interesting. And how many members and regulars are under that 10125 ? Can you compute that ?

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 05:30 AM

I really don't fell like starting from scratch to get my tar back

Hi Manitoublack

what does the status "banned" mean ? Never saw that before. I mean you are still posting, right ?

edesignuk
Jan 18, 2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi Manitoublack

what does the status "banned" mean ? Never saw that before. I mean you are still posting, right ?
Banned means banned, he would not have been banned at the time of this last post, but he is now, and so his status reflects this.

Macmaniac
Jan 18, 2004, 09:17 AM
My user ID is 1104, I'm very old by Macrumors standards, I've been here for 3 years, Check out the Macrumors OldSkool thread to see the 30 oldest active Macrumors members!

Mr. Anderson
Jan 18, 2004, 09:51 AM
That sounds interesting. And how many members and regulars are under that 10125 ? Can you compute that ?

Its not about computing the info, its just doing a fast search....and the number of members with regular status is 888 - so that's just 3.18% of the total list of members.

D

job
Jan 18, 2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mac15
They made sense, well probably just to me anyways. Most of them were short half liners or things like quotes to a really good with me replying 'true'. Wasted posts but fun anyhow :)

heh..

i spammed my way to a 'tar with king cobra, krossfyter, and alphatech.

anyone remember that alien thread? ;) :p

revenuee
Jan 18, 2004, 10:27 AM
Its not about computing the info, its just doing a fast search....and the number of members with regular status is 888 - so that's just 3.18% of the total list of members.

D

there you go ... now the tards :D account for 25% of the "active" members

25% accounting for 50% of the posts doesn't seem so skewed

Mr. Anderson
Jan 18, 2004, 10:52 AM
there you go ... now the tards :D account for 25% of the "active" members

25% accounting for 50% of the posts doesn't seem so skewed

well, I'm going to go back later and look, but there are quite a few members > 30 posts as well. That would be more appropriate.

D

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 11:44 AM
Banned means banned, he would not have been banned at the time of this last post, but he is now, and so his status reflects this.

OMG. What is someone doing to get banned ?

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 11:57 AM

D

Thanks Mr Anderson,

thats quite a few ! I really thought that there are more !

As other posters said it would be quite interesting how many active users there are - e.g. how many have posted in the last 3 month or 6 month out of the group that has more than lets say 30 or 100 posts.

Cheers

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 12:04 PM
Just found out that I am #15259 and only have 280 posts since Feb. 2003 I guess it takes me another year before I get a Avatar. :(

Between 100 and 500 should be another status. Maybe at 300. Like an avatar that can not be completly free choosen.Maybe Arn thinks about that. ;)

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2004, 01:09 PM
I made a pie chart of the number of members for various ranges of post counts. I was just proofreading it before doing a screen capture, and AppleWorks crashed and lost my data! I updated to AppleWorks version 6.2.9 the other day. Maybe we need 6.2.10?

I hadn't saved my file for a couple of hours. The apps I use crash so infrequently under Mac OS X that I'm not in the habit of doing frequent saves any more. I guess I'll start doing more saves with AppleWorks from now on.

Rower_CPU
Jan 18, 2004, 01:27 PM
OMG. What is someone doing to get banned ?

Not following the rules (http://forums.macrumors.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=4).

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 01:47 PM
I made a pie chart of the number of members for various ranges of post counts. I was just proofreading it before doing a screen capture, and AppleWorks crashed and lost my data! I updated to AppleWorks version 6.2.9 the other day. Maybe we need 6.2.10?

I hadn't saved my file for a couple of hours. The apps I use crash so infrequently under Mac OS X that I'm not in the habit of doing frequent saves any more. I guess I'll start doing more saves with AppleWorks from now on.

Really sorry to hear that. I am using Word and Excel. Both never crashed on my Mac but often on my PC. I really can understand you

Powerbook G5
Jan 18, 2004, 01:51 PM
Does Apple Works have an autosave feature like Word? I had Word crash a few times in OS 9 but whenever it did, I could open the emergency file it created and have all my work up to maybe a minute or two ago if I didn't save at all. It can be a lifesaver, for sure.

latergator116
Jan 18, 2004, 01:55 PM
One time I wrote a three page essay and the computer crahed while I was printing, and I ont saved on the first page.

I know how you feel Doctor Q, but to look on the bright side of things, if you do it over, chances are it will be better than the first.:)

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yes, AppleWorks has an autosave feature, but I was building the pie charts in a new document, yet to be saved, with no filename, and I don't think autosave kicks in until after your first save. Clearly my fault, of course. I've paid my dues by typing in the data again.

I made two pie charts. This one shows the relative number of members (pie wedge thickness) for various ranges of post counts, as shown in the legend.

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2004, 02:21 PM
Here's the same data with the zero-posters excluded. I left "no posts" in the legend, with its count of members set to 0, so that the colors in this pie chart would match those in the previous pie chart.

So these are the relative number of posters for various ranges of post counts, over all those who have ever posted.

Powerbook G5
Jan 18, 2004, 02:24 PM
So I guess we are all in the minority here after seeing the massive amount of red and blue in that pie chart.

neoelectronaut
Jan 18, 2004, 02:36 PM
Wow. Just...wow. Why register if you're not going to post more than 10 times, people?

Rower_CPU
Jan 18, 2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by neoelectronaut
Wow. Just...wow. Why register if you're not going to post more than 10 times, people?

Because arn sometimes required people to register to view the forums during peak activity times, the idea being to cut down on the total number of people hitting the forums at once.

Lots of people registered just to read and lurk.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hi,

thats really great. Thanks for the charts Doctor Q !

It really looks like that the main traffic is coming from a few people (in comparison to the overall number of members)

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2004, 04:06 PM
It is interesting that, of those who have ever posted, people with 5 to 29 posts have made about a quarter of all posts. I wonder if they tended to be people who got involved in only 1, 2, or 3 threads and then disappeared after those few discussions or whether they spread their posts among a bunch of different threads?

Powerbook G5
Jan 18, 2004, 08:49 PM
I know I registered after WWDC because I was unable to browse the forums after the page was brought back up from the low bandwidth version after the keynote. I didn't make my first post until a little time after since I still just wanted to read and generally gather the information I needed and leave.

Billicus
Jan 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I know I registered after WWDC because I was unable to browse the forums after the page was brought back up from the low bandwidth version after the keynote. I didn't make my first post until a little time after since I still just wanted to read and generally gather the information I needed and leave.

We're glad you decided to stay...:D

Doctor Q
Jan 19, 2004, 07:51 PM
With this very post, I join the other 30 members who are 68030s or above. I'm the 3rd-most recent member in that category, behind Powerbook G5, who joined in June last year, and wdlove, who joined a month after I did in fall 2002. shadowfax joined two weeks before I did. And the rest is history.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 19, 2004, 08:05 PM
Nice stuff there Dr.Q - did you manually get the numbers or did you run a script?

It would be cool to add this to the top posters info every 6 months and see how it changes. :D

D

Doctor Q
Jan 19, 2004, 09:10 PM
I just paged through the top million posters, counting how many pages of each range of posts.

jrv3034
Jan 20, 2004, 10:29 AM
Awesome charts, Dr.Q!

I for one was lingering around for several months before I decided to post anything. I was just reading up on stuff, getting all the answers I needed. It wasn't until I felt comfortable with the people here that I decided to post myself.

I've been to a lot of web communities, and this one is definitely tops!

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by jrv3034
I've been to a lot of web communities, and this one is definitely tops!
Accept I still hate you for what's in your sig :mad:

;) :p :D

jrv3034
Jan 20, 2004, 10:55 AM
Accept I still hate you for what's in your sig :mad:

;) :p :D

LOL:D I guess I should add to the sig that technically I don't own it, my company does. But it's sitting at home on my desk, so I CLAIM IT AS MY OWN! MY PRECIOUSSSS!!!!!!!

Sorry. Um... if it makes you feel better, I upgraded from an eMachines 433MHz Pentium II.;)

Plus, you have Kiera Knightley on your 'tar!!! YOU PUNK!!!:p

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2004, 11:10 AM
LOL:D I guess I should add to the sig that technically I don't own it, my company does. But it's sitting at home on my desk, so I CLAIM IT AS MY OWN! MY PRECIOUSSSS!!!!!!!
Ok, that makes me feel a bit better.
Sorry. Um... if it makes you feel better, I upgraded from an eMachines 433MHz Pentium II.;)
That makes me feel much better :D
Plus, you have Kiera Knightley on your 'tar!!! YOU PUNK!!!:p
You're right! Now I don't care at all :p

michaelrjohnson
Jan 20, 2004, 01:43 PM
i'd have to say that for as "old" as I am in macrumors years, i am definitly underrepresented!

apparently i lurked for about 2 years. but let me assure you this: macrumors forums are some of the VERY few on the web that havent' turned away from actual discussion (as many have) but rather just added social aspects.

kudos, props, and congratulations to arn!

michaelrjohnson
Jan 20, 2004, 11:47 PM
i think i have the touch of death... any thread i post in, dies!

revenuee
Jan 20, 2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
i think i have the touch of death... any thread i post in, dies!

dude i always feel like thats my problem

michaelrjohnson
Jan 21, 2004, 12:18 AM
dude i always feel like thats my problem

...{sigh} you know how i feel then!

revenuee
Jan 21, 2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
...{sigh} you know how i feel then!

totally

Mr. Anderson
Jan 21, 2004, 07:50 AM
totally

you keep that silliness up and you'll have another example :p

D

revenuee
Jan 21, 2004, 08:09 AM
you keep that silliness up and you'll have another example :p

D
Mr. A ... are you suggesting that i'm spamming? :D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 21, 2004, 08:11 AM
Mr. A ... are you suggesting that i'm spamming? :D

Moi?!?! :D

Just keep it closer to the topic....

Thanks,

D

edesignuk
Jan 21, 2004, 08:14 AM
Yes, please lets not get this thread locked or sent to the wasteland :) It'd be nice to keep it.

revenuee
Jan 21, 2004, 08:21 AM
Moi?!?! :D

Just keep it closer to the topic....

Thanks,

D

Alright, alright ... back to topic

i Recall about 2 months ago there was a member who was acceding very quickly through the ranks ... average of 50 posts per day, or some ridiculous number like that.

My question ... what is the highest average any member has ever had? and how long did he last like that .... i tried doing search but i wasn't sure what criteria to look for.

In regards to the 0 posts issue, those 14k or so have nicknames that others might want to use ... shouldn't 6 months with 0 posts be grounds for having that account deleted and opened for more users?

Sun Baked
Jan 21, 2004, 08:41 AM
***** did about 200 posts his first day, though most everything ended up in the wasteland.

Of course after his account got killed here, he went and tortured Ambitious Lemon on his site.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 21, 2004, 08:44 AM
For non-spammers/banned members its just over 20. Only a couple members have been there - and I'm not talking about members who've only been here a week. To count it really should be members who have been here more than a month.

D

michaelrjohnson
Jan 21, 2004, 09:24 AM
what's the average average-post-per-day number (among top posters, and all)? i mean, my average is way down because i've been registered for so long but not posting as often.

Powerbook G5
Jan 21, 2004, 11:58 AM
My post average was probably in the 20's during the summer when I had nothing better to do. First half of summer I was working pretty hard, but then my family moved to Iowa and in which case I was left with nothing to do and not a mall, store, or movie theater to go to within an hour's driving distance, so I was forced to stay around home while my parents were out and about registering this and filling out that.

Rower_CPU
Jan 21, 2004, 12:58 PM
dweck did about 200 posts his first day, though most everything ended up in the wasteland.

Of course after his account got killed here, he went and tortured Ambitious Lemon on his site.

;)

virividox
Jan 21, 2004, 03:26 PM
what we trying to do get a tar by his 3rd day!!! insane

Mr. Anderson
Jan 21, 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by virividox
what we trying to do get a tar by his 3rd day!!! insane

You had to see it to believe it - but basically, that's exactly what he was doing - going for the 'tar....:rolleyes:

D

etoiles
Jan 21, 2004, 04:04 PM
I just got my 500th post today ! YAY ! lets celebrate ! Ok, that is enough. ;)

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
I just got my 500th post today ! YAY ! lets celebrate ! Ok, that is enough. ;)

Then make a Avatar, 50x50 pixels, or a little video file with around 16 frames.

Doctor Q
Jan 21, 2004, 07:25 PM
What would happen if arn sold avatars, in addition to letting them be a reward for post counts? Let's say they cost $50. Would he get more cash while reducing spamming, since the people who were most desparate for that status symbol would (as for most status symbols in the world) simply pay for it up front? Or would it lead to economic class warfare, dual-meaning avatar chaos, and the downfall of humanity?

Powerbook G5
Jan 21, 2004, 07:39 PM
I don't think an avatar is really worth having to pay anything, though. A little 50x50 pixel graphic just isn't that important and really too small to matter most of the time besides a nice differentiator between posters when quickly skimming a thread.

shadowfax
Jan 21, 2004, 07:40 PM
isn't this analogous to the royalty in the UK selling Knightships/hoods (give me a break, i don't remember which it is) for money?

cheaaaaap.

etoiles
Jan 21, 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by bannedagain
Then make a Avatar, 50x50 pixels, or a little video file with around 16 frames.

of course ! And here it is, my very first Avatar on MR...(and a homage to Doctor Q's fantastic doorprize)...tadaaaaaa

job
Jan 21, 2004, 09:44 PM
are we ever going to have another avatar contest?

it seems it was discussed, but nothing ever happened.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 21, 2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by job
are we ever going to have another avatar contest?

it seems it was discussed, but nothing ever happened.

quite possible - when the new forums get up and running...

D

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
And here it is, my very first Avatar on MRCongratulations, etoiles! It's a-doorable!

Mr. Anderson
Jan 22, 2004, 01:37 PM
After a recount, its now 234 members with 'tar power :D

D

jefhatfield
Jan 23, 2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by true777
I'm member number 1029.

Darn, I thought I might be in the 3-digit range.
Oh well, I guess I'm ancient either way (just look at my join date).

i was hoping i would be a two digit member

but i am number 340, but you are the third oldest remaining active member posting these days at 1029

the oldest active member that is not a macrumors god is kainjow who is number 190 and he joined in the first month of macrumors

there are three of us from the year 2000 still left that post with any consistency

update: i just discovered another poster from 2000 with more than just a few scattered posts...and that is michaelrjohnson (number 540) from august of 2000:D

etoiles
Jan 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
Congratulations, etoiles! It's a-doorable!

hehe... and I forgot to add proper image credit, so here we go: image courtesy of Doctor Q !

:)

MrMacMan
Jan 24, 2004, 12:56 AM
quite possible - when the new forums get up and running...

D
;)
*nudge*
When is that
;)
*nudge*

Hehe just kidding, I know we newbies aren't allowed to know. :p

--MrMacMan

Doctor Q:
What would happen if arn sold avatars, in addition to letting them be a reward for post counts? Let's say they cost $50. Would he get more cash while reducing spamming, since the people who were most desparate for that status symbol would (as for most status symbols in the world) simply pay for it up front? Or would it lead to economic class warfare, dual-meaning avatar chaos, and the downfall of humanity?
Quite Possibly.

Don't do this arn look at the consequences! :p

Posts > Money ;)

jef -- That number increases by a frikken ton if you add 2001 eh?

haha.

yamabushi
Jan 25, 2004, 06:15 PM
I noticed I became a 6502 today so I quickly made a simple avatar. Ta da!

Doctor Q
Jan 25, 2004, 06:29 PM
I assume that is an actual photograph of you, yamabushi.

sethypoo
Jan 25, 2004, 06:29 PM
Because of MWSF there has been an invasion of newbies recently (hello all & welcome! :D). The vB UID's are up to the high 27k's :eek: I am a 4k, quite old skool by todays MR standards.
Anyway, just thought I'd do a little check, and it turns out we have 228 'tard up members here now, not bad eh?

Hello fellow MRtarians (made that word up, like it? thanks :p)

Where might we view these "vB UID's"?

I take it I am member 57255? So would that mean there are at least 57255 MR members?

Doctor Q
Jan 25, 2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Where might we view these "vB UID's"?

I take it I am member 57255? So would that mean there are at least 57255 MR members?Point the cursor at the Profile button under any one of your posts and look at the URL in the status line. The end of the URL is your member number. You are member number 22478.

sethypoo
Jan 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
Point the cursor at the Profile button under any one of your posts and look at the URL in the status line. The end of the URL is your member number. You are member number 22478.

Ah, I see clearly now, the rain is gone.....wait.....

jefhatfield
Jan 26, 2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi
I noticed I became a 6502 today so I quickly made a simple avatar. Ta da!

that tar reminds me of the last samurai for some reason...he he

i read in a review that the movie would do well with america except with japanese americans

i am japanese american and consider tom cruise a shallow, but entertaining actor

but then i saw the movie, and i was totally blown away...his acting got a golden globe nomination and i didn't see anything, as a japanese american myself, that would make this movie unauthentic or shallow

my dad, a second generation japanese american, and my mom, from tokyo do not regularly watch blockbuster type movies but they were also completely impressed with the movie

...your tar looks like a samurai, the samurai of macrumors:p

Doctor Q
Jan 26, 2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
my dad, a second generation japanese american, and my mom, from tokyo...So your mom is Issei, your dad is Nisei, and you are, um, (Nisei*.5+Sansei*.5)?

studebakerhwk13
Jan 26, 2004, 10:58 PM
Brilliant!

Simple, long-time mac user ... wait, from the beginning of time 1984 mac-user ... just adding a post ...

jefhatfield
Jan 26, 2004, 11:48 PM
So your mom is Issei, your dad is Nisei, and you are, um, (Nisei*.5+Sansei*.5)?

depending on how you look at it, i could be either a nisei or sansei...2nd or 3rd generation

...but historically, most of the nisei were locked up in wwII interment camps like my father, and like most of his generation of age, then went on to serve in the us army (some were too young and others chose not to fight)

in the japanese american community, it was the nisei that rose up by its bootstraps in the years following world war II and intergrated and even thrived in american culture

i didn't fight in world war II, or korea, and i didn't have to break down any major racial barriers like the nisei before me, so culturally, i fit in more with the integrated sansei (3rd generation) who lived a better life because of the contribuitions of the prior two generations

to confuse matters even more, there were some japanese who came to america after world war II and they became the new issei (1st generation) and their children born in the 50s and 60s became the new nissei...there are actually new nisei (2nd genration) younger than me (3rd generation) and i have a friend who is a new nisei and he is a year younger than me and his family did not have to go to the internment camps

his perspective on life as a nisei reaped the benefits of integration right from the start where my father had to painfully try and integrate into american culture because his parents did not speak english...he did finish high school, and some nisei, who did not have english speaking parents, even finished college and this was a great achievement since growing up learning japanese and then having to speak english was a challenge in itself

the transition from japanese to english, especially in spoken form, is rarely seamless and even very educated nisei do not pronounce english with a perfect accent unless they worked very hard at it

the integrated 3rd and 4th generation japanese americans have a bear of a time trying to learn japanese and speak it well and don't take to it as easily as the original nisei who often felt that they knew it as well or better than english...my father and aunt do not get to use japanese that much anymore so their skills in speaking japanese have gone downhill:p

bennyek
Jan 27, 2004, 12:23 AM
I guess I have been around for a while although I look alot more than post. # 4317 user. I guess I need to contribute more often.

yamabushi
Jan 27, 2004, 06:15 AM
Here is another image of a yamabushi that I am working on. I like the new guy because he has a larger tokin (a kind of hat).

CmdrLaForge
Jan 27, 2004, 06:36 AM
After a recount, its now 234 members with 'tar power :D

D

Hi,

what is TAR power beside the TAR ? ANY ?

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2004, 07:10 AM
Hi,

what is TAR power beside the TAR ? ANY ?
nuthin, nada, ziltch, zip, squat :eek:

CmdrLaForge
Jan 27, 2004, 08:18 AM
nuthin, nada, ziltch, zip, squat :eek:

OK. Now I want it ! Sounds great.

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2004, 08:20 AM
OK. Now I want it ! Sounds great.
You know it makes sence ;)

CmdrLaForge
Jan 27, 2004, 08:58 AM
You know it makes sence ;)

Yes, I see. But I have 200 to go. And by posting 1/day it will take 200 days.

So quite some time before the power will be with me.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 10:53 AM
Yes, I see. But I have 200 to go. And by posting 1/day it will take 200 days.

So quite some time before the power will be with me. '

j-lo did that in 1 day :D

don't worry about it - its quite frivolous, actually - but they make the forums a little more interesting and help in identifying who's been posting. There was an *experiment* several years ago where a bunch of members all had the same tar - it was actually quite amazing to see how much an effect it had on the forums - confused everything.

D

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 01:27 PM
'

don't worry about it - its quite frivolous, actually - but they make the forums a little more interesting and help in identifying who's been posting. There was an *experiment* several years ago where a bunch of members all had the same tar - it was actually quite amazing to see how much an effect it had on the forums - confused everything.

D

That experiment sounds very interesting Mr. Anderson. Sadly some how I missed all the excitement. Either that or I'm not all that Avatar dependent.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2004, 01:37 PM
i used the word experiment loosely - it was a black day for MacRumors....

D

CmdrLaForge
Jan 27, 2004, 01:42 PM
'

D

That sounds quite funny. I guess that all the others got really confused.

BTW I thought it might be interesting to know from which country most posters are from.

I guess mainly from the states. But all other continents ?

Sometimes I am surprised to see people from Japan.

Makosuke
Jan 27, 2004, 08:36 PM
Amusing; I just passed 500 posts today, and I totally randomly happened on this thread just by poking through the members list for no particular reason. (I'm member number 2141, joined just after my birthday in Aug 2001, so I've been around longer than my post number would indicate--I'm just quiet, and I like to think I don't spam.)

Funny thing is, I've never much liked avatars, though I see their value for quick IDing (particularly on forums where people change their usernames frequently... 'course changing your 'tar frequently has the same effect). Don't really feel the need to add one now that I can, particularly since I don't even have one on the forum I run.

By the way, awesome pie charts, Dr. Q; between those and the statistics, I'm both frightened and impressed with the industriousness (geekyness?) of the folks here.

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 01:10 PM
got my tar today hehe

edesignuk
Jan 29, 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by virividox
got my tar today hehe
Congrats, I hope not all of those posts were http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/spam.gif :p

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 01:45 PM
well a few were just congratulatory posts to people who bought their new macs, or comments to microwesoft threads or the mcdonalds diet. but i think the majority were real ones.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 01:50 PM
'

D

You know what ! I will take a day off and then post the remaining 200 as well in one day.

500 is such a long way.

Cheers

jrv3034
Feb 16, 2004, 10:07 PM
Hey, all... guess what?

This is my 500th post right here!!!

Wow, after registering here on October of 2002, I finally did it! And I was reading tons of threads here months before I even registered! Since that time, I've gone from a Pentium II 433MHz eMachines PC to a dual 2GHz G5!

I do feel like I know a lot of the members here, and consider this a great forum that promotes healthy discussions about everything Mac, and beyond. I hope to continue as an active member as long as this community will have me here.

Thanks everyone, for the good times:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6144&perpage=25&highlight=drunk&pagenumber=1

for being there for the bad times:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37939&highlight=9%2F11

and for just plain being yourselves:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12317&highlight=poop+thread

Here's to another 500! ;)

gwuMACaddict
Feb 16, 2004, 11:26 PM
i'm gettin close.... ;)

definitely a lurker since like 2001

edesignuk
Feb 17, 2004, 01:12 AM
Hey, all... guess what?

This is my 500th post right here!!!

So where's your 'tar???? :D :eek: :p

jrv3034
Feb 17, 2004, 10:59 PM
So where's your 'tar???? :D :eek: :p

Well, here it is.

It's my first attempt at a GIF animation. I used Adobe Image Ready, and it was phenomenally easy!

I picked Cronk from The Emperor's New Groove, which is one of my all time favorite movies.

Whaddaya think? :D

Doctor Q
Feb 17, 2004, 11:37 PM
Nice job, jrv3034!

shadowfax
Feb 17, 2004, 11:38 PM
I think it's pretty good. :)

themadchemist
Feb 18, 2004, 01:47 AM
I've had this avatar for quite a while now...it's kind of boring, honestly. it's time for a new one, but I'm trying to figure out what would be cool...any suggestions?

jrv3034--very nice.

edesignuk
Feb 18, 2004, 02:29 AM
Very nice jrv3034 :D

Opteron
Feb 18, 2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by themadchemist
I've had this avatar for quite a while now...it's kind of boring, honestly. it's time for a new one, but I'm trying to figure out what would be cool...any suggestions?

jrv3034--very nice.

this

Opteron
Feb 18, 2004, 04:22 AM
or this

KC9AIC
Feb 18, 2004, 08:51 AM
I started looking at this site back before the MWSF expo, but didn't join until a while later (last day of January), when it occurred to me that I might have something useful to say. I'm waiting before I say something intelligent:p. I remember back as a newbie misreading something and thinking that I only had to have 50 posts to get a 'tar. Man, that got me writing fast. I once found the page where it tells what level (newbie, member, regular, etc.) corresponds with a certain number of posts. I've looked for it again and again, but still haven't found the page again. If you can link to it, it'd be helpful. Thanks.

CmdrLaForge
Feb 18, 2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by KC9AIC
If you can link to it, it'd be helpful. Thanks.

I don't have the link. But it goes somehow like this:
0-30 newbie
30-100 member
100-500 regular
500-more I don't know

Cheers

(I have 100 to go for my tar. I know I know - there are members that make that in a day. I wish I had their time. )

edesignuk
Feb 18, 2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by KC9AIC
If you can link to it, it'd be helpful. Thanks.
Mac Rumors Forum FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37092).

It's a sticky at the top of this forum :rolleyes:

SilentPanda
Feb 18, 2004, 09:57 AM
Chalk me up as 'tarred (but not feathered).

Stike
Feb 18, 2004, 11:01 AM
That "Death" ´tar looked nice, but I think I will stick with my UT logo. It designates me as a hardcore UT player and also promotes the G5 clan (inofficially its a MacRumors Clan - founded by MR members..)
Also, I think I am one of those people who took quite some time to the avatar. I was quite consistent in posting, however. And I tried to avoid spamming :D

gwuMACaddict
Feb 19, 2004, 09:18 AM
i am now 'tared! woohoo! go cannondale! i know it looks a little crappy right now, but i'll work on it later

MrMacMan
Feb 20, 2004, 02:14 AM
Mac Rumors Forum FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37092).

It's a sticky at the top of this forum :rolleyes:

:slaps face on head:
Come on... You can't expect people too look there!

:p ;)

Congradulations on the tar gwuMACaddict.

revenuee
Feb 22, 2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
i am now 'tared! woohoo! go cannondale! i know it looks a little crappy right now, but i'll work on it later

i'm a cannondale rider myself actually ... convinced my dad to get one ... i have a friend who he and his dad are huge cannondale fans themselves ...

CmdrLaForge
Feb 28, 2004, 06:12 AM
:cool: After one year :cool:

sethypoo
Feb 28, 2004, 12:36 PM
What's a good app to make animated avatars with?

Doctor Q
Feb 28, 2004, 01:17 PM
What's a good app to make animated avatars with? What image-editing applications do you have to choose from?

See Avatar creation/Web page maintenance (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=6517).

CmdrLaForge
Feb 28, 2004, 01:26 PM
What's a good app to make animated avatars with?

Like it ?

I used Photoshop Elements. Like that app very much. What I heard is that it has about 80% of the regular photoshop functions and you can get it for $80.