PDA

View Full Version : Music Industry Puts Troops in the Streets

SiliconAddict
Jan 13, 2004, 11:30 AM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more pathetic and sick the RIAA somehow manages to do it.

Quasi-legal squads raid street vendors (http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/07/news-sullivan.php)

Ya know crap like this makes me very much want to give up iTunes and go back to P2P. I want to see these people out of business. Everyone look out! Its the RIAA Gestapo.

rueyeet
Jan 13, 2004, 02:25 PM
Yes, and no. The guy in the article was no file-swapper making the most of a legal and cultural grey area, he was selling CDs. And I notice that he didn't offer to prove to the RIAA goons that he had obtained them legally from a legitimate source--good thing too, as the article says the man he'd bought those CDs from basically disappeared. In other words, the article conveniently skims over the probability that he was selling bootlegs in order to point an indignant finger at the RIAA. You'll notice that the Electronic Frontier Foundation guy was all for it.

Putting a music file up on the Internet for all and sundry to download for free is one thing. Burning copyrighted material to CD and selling it (or buying it from someone else to sell) is clearly illegal, even if the RIAA are being characteristically, and disgustingly, heavy-handed about it.

nickfit
Jan 13, 2004, 03:23 PM
I think the article was more critical of the RIAA agents posing as law enforcement officials. I have always wondered why they have not contacted real law enforcement officials about what is clearly illegal activity. I suspect that this guy could have been arrested. Once again, there is nothing wrong on cracking down on people making a profit off of bootlegs, but there is something seriously wrong if they are attempting to be appear to be agents of the law.

Raid
Jan 13, 2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Everyone look out! Its the RIAA Gestapo.

The RIAA has gone from moral suasion, to legal harrasment, and now to neo-facist vigilante gangs. How is this helping their argument? I'm not one for piracy, but I am for personal liberty, and proper representation & reform of the law. They don't have the right to collect data on any individual without their consent or a warrant issued and enforce by a law enforcement agency. I'm certain they don't say their are law officers, but their uniforms, and swarm tactics are designed to make their targets think that.

rainman::|:|
Jan 13, 2004, 05:41 PM
the FBI offered their help and resources in stemming piracy... sometime last year, right before their big campaign. the RIAA rejected the assistance. They should not be allowed to operate as if they are law enforcement. once this mess settles down, they're in for a world of hurt as every charge they make is invalidated and they're held responsible for their actions. but for now, i think the law kind of regards them with amusement.

if my money is going to support these tactics, then i'll go back to piracy again. no skin off my back. i will not support an industry that behaves like lawless vigilantes.

edit:
"A large percentage [of the vendors] are of a Hispanic nature," Langley said. "Today he’s Jose Rodriguez, tomorrow he’s Raul something or other, and tomorrow after that he’s something else. These people change their identity all the time. A picture’s worth a thousand words."
What the hell kind of racist crap is this. "these people", like all hispanics are shifty criminals that change identities like clothes. they should really think about things like this before saying them.

paul

coopdog
Jan 13, 2004, 07:31 PM
If they came to my house and tried to do that to me. I would call the cops and kick the **** out of all of them. They can't just go around doing **** like that. I'm pissed, they are an organization! Not the police. They need to be stopped! Did they have a warrant to do this. I wonder how forceful they were.