Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hello
Im in college, freshmen.. anyways as soon as i got here, and got on the internet. It has not let me use video chat. The icon is gone. Its the phone ican. Its been disabled. My roomate and neighbor has a macbook and the same thing for them. Havent spoken to many about this. But another kid has HP and hers works. I called the school tech and told them and they said its not blocked and some other stuff i didnt understand what she was saying. anyways, does anyone know if theres an option i can choose in preference or something to fix this?? I heard this was never a problem last year. I spoke to someone in that department and she didnt know why..... when i called the person she said video chat has too many programs and they dont support it, but i think she misunderstood me.. Help, i really want video chat to work.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hello
Im in college, freshmen.. anyways as soon as i got here, and got on the internet. It has not let me use video chat. The icon is gone. Its the phone ican. Its been disabled. My roomate and neighbor has a macbook and the same thing for them. Havent spoken to many about this. But another kid has HP and hers works. I called the school tech and told them and they said its not blocked and some other stuff i didnt understand what she was saying. anyways, does anyone know if theres an option i can choose in preference or something to fix this?? I heard this was never a problem last year. I spoke to someone in that department and she didnt know why..... when i called the person she said video chat has too many programs and they dont support it, but i think she misunderstood me.. Help, i really want video chat to work.

Yeah they've got the video chat ports blocked to save bandwidth, you really can't do anything about it.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yeah they've got the video chat ports blocked to save bandwidth, you really can't do anything about it.

Yeah, quoting the whole post usually means that you've read it. If you had, you would have seen that someone else is able to videoconference, thereby proving the school has not blocked the "ports" or capped bandwidth.

Same thing at my school. Were I on campus currently, I'd be raising one heck of a ruckus. Being in Ireland for a semester, I have all the bandwidth I could ask for (currently 600 mbps).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, quoting the whole post usually means that you've read it. If you had, you would have seen that someone else is able to videoconference, thereby proving the school has not blocked the "ports" or capped bandwidth.
The fact that a girl with an HP at his school can video conference in no way proves that the ports that iChat uses for videoconferencing are open.

Different clients use different ports for video, and different networks are locked down in different ways. It's quite possible that iChat video ports are blocked whereas the ports for whatever client she was using are not, or that iChat wants more bandwidth than what her client does.

Macsforcollege, in iChat, try clicking on Video (in the menu bar) and then Connection Doctor. Have it show 'Capabilities' and see what it says.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
did that under
1 on 1 vide chat it says X ( slow netwok)

then video effeects ( No camera).. but it has slow network for all the video stuff. how do i fix this??? is there a way?

thanks

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
no.. its fast.. i dont have any problems with it... i want to use videochat.. and my dad bought a camera so we can connect once in a while..now we cant.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
did that under
1 on 1 vide chat it says X ( slow netwok)

then video effeects ( No camera).. but it has slow network for all the video stuff. how do i fix this??? is there a way?

thanks
Can you take a window shot of that (press command-shift-4, move the mouse to the window, hit the space bar, and then click the mouse button? ... should save a file on your desktop) and upload it?

Mine looks like this:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    53 KB · Views: 69

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
there it is.. ok i have class now.. but i will write back after class. i will be on little after 8.. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,404

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
The fact that a girl with an HP at his school can video conference in no way proves that the ports that iChat uses for videoconferencing are open.

Different clients use different ports for video, and different networks are locked down in different ways. It's quite possible that iChat video ports are blocked whereas the ports for whatever client she was using are not, or that iChat wants more bandwidth than what her client does.

Macsforcollege, in iChat, try clicking on Video (in the menu bar) and then Connection Doctor. Have it show 'Capabilities' and see what it says.

Thank you for that, my thoughts exactly. Tallest Skil, before you insult someones intelligence by ASSuming that they didn't read the whole post perhaps you should have a working knowledge of networks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
so is there any way to fix this?
The only time I had this problem, the person on the other end was the one with the slow connection.

We never got iChat to work. The workaround was that we used Skype instead. That client seems to be able to videoconferencing well on a connection that's slow.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thank you for that, my thoughts exactly. Tallest Skil, before you insult someones intelligence by ASSuming that they didn't read the whole post perhaps you should have a working knowledge of networks.

No body insulted anyone's intelligence—you're the one assuming ;)

so is there any way to fix this?

Get a faster internet. I know some schools throttle when you use too much bandwidth--do you download a lot?

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
no, dont download a lot... they told me to change the bandwith to 100kps under video/audio but when i go there, it wont let me change it from NONE.. do you guys know how and why it wont let me??

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
I've seen this, in fact at our house.

It may have something to do with one or more NAT (network address translation) routers in between you and the other user.

In our case, if both my daughter and her friend are behind routers, they typically cannot see each other (my router supports UPNP and I can see her application registered). If my daughter is at her grandmother's house, where they don't run a firewall or router (but they have a Mac so they haven't been hacked yet), she and I can do video chat just fine.

I don't have hard facts, but a pretty good sense that it's my router or the other or both in combination that ends up blocking video chat. Which isn't such bad thing, as my daughter would get distracted and not finish her homework (grin).

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
No body insulted anyone's intelligence—you're the one assuming ;)

Get a faster internet. I know some schools throttle when you use too much bandwidth--do you download a lot?

You don't really have any grounds to comment on our exchange as you were not the original poster.

A faster internet??? Explain what you mean. I'm not sure college students have much of a choice in a dorm environment.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Yeah, how about we get an entire story here, eh? Continued example: iChat videoconferencing works on other computers on this network but not a specific one. Conclusion: That computer has some settings that need to be changed.

OP, have you looked to see if iChat videoconferencing works on any other computers on that network?

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
it wasnt an issue, i just found the solution. i had to go under the terminal and copy and paste something and then hit enter, then i tried ichat again and it was there. i had to copy some default that had to do with ichat..if anyone needs it, i can find out for you.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you have time and can figure out what you did in the terminal, post it on the thread here.

That way if someone else on the forum has the same issue you did, if this thread shows up when they search, they'll see the answer.

(Plus I'm real curious) .. LOL :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You don't really have any grounds to comment on our exchange as you were not the original poster.

And calling people an ass will get you banned. Now do I care, not really.

it wasnt an issue, i just found the solution. i had to go under the terminal and copy and paste something and then hit enter, then i tried ichat again and it was there. i had to copy some default that had to do with ichat..if anyone needs it, i can find out for you.

Was it packet sizes?

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
this is the directions.. i copied and pasted.. here it is

Quit iChat.
Open Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder).
In Terminal type or paste this command on a single line:
defaults write com.apple.iChat newbwdup 300000
Press Return.
Quit Terminal.
Open iChat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.