Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130804-pogo.jpg

Pogo Stylus

Macenstein took the time to review two iPhone styluses that are available for the iPhone: iPhone Japanese Touch Stylus ($14.99) and the Pogo iPhone Stylus ($19.99). For the purpose of the review, Macenstein used the styluses as an artists tool for iPhone apps like Flipbook [App Store] and Kineo (formerly Flickbook) [App Store].

While the Japanese Touch Stylus wins points for aesthetics, Macinestein found its unique flexible tip to be a difficult to use.
Drawing with this stylus was a definite chore, as the entire flat surface of the tip must be firmly pressed against the screen in order for the iPhone to register it. I had hoped the angled tip might provide enough contact when drawing to give more of a feel of a real pen, but unless you keep this stylus angled flat to the surface, it will not register.
Meanwhile, the Pogo iPhone stylus is described as "far batter" in overall usability and accuracy:
Despite the tip of the stylus being somewhat rounded and soft, I found I was able to get much more accurate line placement that I thought I would.
More details in the full review.

Article Link

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Other than drawing and for use in cities where it gets cold enough to wear gloves outside, I find the stylus to be a waste of money.

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Anyone who has a stylus for their iPhone is <not cool>.

Present company not excluded.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I wish he had compared them to "the finger" by running through the same exercises. For example, how easy was it for him to do his Sponge Bob picture with his finger?

I just wonder how the reviewer would score his own finger on his 10 point scale.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
That sounds like a much better invention than another stupid stylus. The whole point of the iPhone is that it DOESN'T need a stylus!

Well duh, but what's wrong with getting one for better accuracy with all the cool art apps? Have you tried drawing with a finger. It's hard to get the line to start where you want, requiring a lot of undos and erasing. To compensate you have to constantly zoom in to be more accurate, but then you lose site of the whole drawing.

And the review mainly focused on that. I'm tempted to get it so I can casually doodle in Flipbook at home without struggling as much, but not like I'm going to take it around with me for normal use. I'll have to check if I upload something to Flipbook.tv if that 25% off the Pogo is available.

Why do you guys have to put down these stylus when they have their place? Anyone that gets an iPhone will use their fingers and have no problem, it works great, but if they go online to find a stylus, there's probably a good reason for doing so.

Also, in the mornings, I bet it would be handy for things like sudoku, especially when I'm eating breakfast or something greasy. Where the Pogo would get dirty and not your iPhone.

joshanon

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Just to let everyone know, from now through September 1, when you upload a movie to flipbook.tv, you'll get a coupon for either 25% or 15% off a Pogo Stylus, depending on if you uploaded it with FlipBook or FlipBook Lite, respectively.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
"Who needs a stylus?"
- Steve Jobs, CEO Apple Inc.

People with mobility problems, for one. My typing accuracy has improved much since I got the Pogo stylus -- the tip of the stylus is narrower than my fingertip, which helps me greatly in aiming at the right spot. It may not be an issue for people without mobility issues, but for those of us who do, a stylus can really help make using iPhone/Touch a lot easier.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Or you could try using a real computer - much more efficient for artists ;)

heh, yeah, and oddly I do have a Wacom tablet and Adobe Production Premium Creative Suite CS3, so the tools are there, but there's something different when using Flipbook app to just have fun. Something really rough that you normally wouldn't give the time of day when sitting at your computer. Especially a great diversion when on the road, a break, or during commercials to just add to it bit by bit.

Reminds me of my childhood when I bought Hypercard and it came with an animation application.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Japanese Touch Pen Sucks

I just got mine today from ThinkGeek and tried it out on Tris; the flat part of the stylus has to be totally flat against the screen, and much of the time it didn't even register. It is pretty crappy in my opinion, and am sending it back. I want to use it for texting as my fingers are pretty big, and I really have to press it pretty hard against the screen, and then totally "flat". It is really slow, because for each character, I have to hold it just right. Save your money.

Also, if you don't like a stylus or use a stylus, fine. Why take the time and energy to take a "holier than thou" stance. You have no idea why people who want them Do want them. Obviously, those of us who have an iPhone have used the touch-screen and found some reason that we would like to use a stylus, so go F yourselves. No need to post how cool you are for not using one. Now go back to your mom's basement and play D&D.

The touch screen works fine for 99% of the tasks, but for texting, my fingers are way too big and I press 3 keys at once! I was hoping a stylus would help.

neilford

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
los angeles
I have tried the japanese stylus and found it useless for drawing. It required too much pressure and did not, reliably, produce a line. I ordered the pogo stylus and am waiting for it to arrive. I hope it works better. While some people think there is no need for stylus, and that may be true if you are using only the apps and features Apple gave you, there is NOTHING that beats a pencil or pencil-like device for drawing. I don't care what Steve says! If you remember, Apple (Steve) didn't think we needed native apps when they first released the iphone, either. Web apps were supposed to do it all.

neilford

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
coolness?

It seems that some people here are so concerned with maintaining their coolness of just using their finger, that they aren't interested in even admitting that sometimes, a stylus is pretty much a requirement.

It bugs me too that the drawing programs are so difficult to use. I'm used to using one on my now old Treo 700p to make quick sketches, and annotating them, that I was really hoping that programs for the iPhone would be better. With just the finger, they are worse.

Sorry, but it's the truth! Finger input works well for most things, but for some, it's just not adequate.

Otherwise, I, my wife, and my daughter, all of whom now have a 3G iPhone, are delighted with them.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Anyone who has a stylus for their iPhone is <not cool>.

Present company not excluded.

Lol. That is exactly how I feel. The whole point of multi-touch tech was to avoid the stylus. I guess for a new things it can be useful, but who wants to carry around another pen?

I don't. I don't even carry one. My MacBook Pro and iPod Touch is all I bring to class.

RumorHasIt....

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Gmab

All of the posters that have to make such negative comments need to get a life. Fine, you don't either need or want one. For some of us, we like to draw and write notes. To take the time to read about and post on something that you already know you have no interest in is pretty sad. Oh, I forgot, Steve said that the iphone doesn't need a stylus. My bad...

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
Seeing that stylus hanging off the side of the iPhone makes me wanna retch. Let's add a huge battery butt to it and an 2" thick squished antenna and OH WAIT here's a QWERTY keyboard you can plug into the bottom! Wait its a PALM!

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Im glad that Apple didn’t use a stylus and think this is a bit counter intuitive. Fingers FTW

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Im glad that Apple didn’t use a stylus and think this is a bit counter intuitive. Fingers FTW

i'm glad apple didn't base the UI around a stylus, but am glad 3rd parties have stepped up and created one. if it makes the iphone more accessible to handicapped in anyway, why not? easier for artists? why not? free market, right? if people prefer the stylus, let them purchase it. if not, as you say "fingers FTW."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.