PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 domwload engines -Limewire etc ...

TimmyG
Jan 13, 2004, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, new user here so hope i'm welcome!

Was just wondering if any of you have any tips for good FREE Mac MP3 download engines. i have previously used Limewire very happily, but since i have upgraded from 9.3 to X.3, i have found that dowloading the X version of Limewire sadly does not work. not sure why really, perhaps Mac have blocked all free download software so that you have to use the istore instead? (which at the mo i cant' as it is not yet available in the UK) any advice, or your oen experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated. it just seems so damn hard to get free MP3s for macs!

dave1234
Jan 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
Poisoned is a very popular one, more reliable than limewire.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/
moreinfo/macosx/20289

TimmyG
Jan 20, 2004, 05:56 AM
thanks mate!

hate to ask, as it is probably pretty obvious, but when i try and download it, i am taken to a screen asking me to select a mirror??? not sure what to do next -i admit i am a bit of a Mac simpleton when it comes to things like these...

thanks for any help, Tim

TimmyG
Jan 20, 2004, 06:10 AM
ok, me again, sorry.

have successfully downloaded poisoned!!

But, now i dont actually know what to do. i've tried typing in a song name or artist in the search box, but nothing happens, and there doesnt seem to be any info about how to actually use the software. any advice would be great..there's just so many things i'm dying to download!!

dave1234
Jan 20, 2004, 06:17 AM
Well when i downloaded it, the download finshed, and all i got was a small icon with a sirenge on it. And open that up, and click the "connect button" then just go to the eyeglass, and search for a song, i dont know why it wouldnt work, maybe select a different mirror.

TimmyG
Jan 20, 2004, 07:25 AM
ok, well i put the first download in the trash, and tried downloading Poisoned again from another mirror. the download went ok, and the little icon appeared as you said. when i double clicked on it, the main Poisoned screen appears, but i didnt get any message flashing up or anything, and it seems i am already connected to the network, even though i still cant downlaod anything. if i enter a band or song name, it appears on the left hand side, in the 'drawer' but nothing else happens. also, the songs i attempted to download on the previous Poisoned that i trashed appear in the drawer of this new download. dont know if that matter but it seems a bit odd. Does it make a difference that i am connected to a university college ethernet network??
Sorry to be so useless Dave, i really appreciate the help.

Thanks mate, Tim

spiraliv
Jan 20, 2004, 09:26 PM
Just steal from Wal-Mart. It'd probably be easier.

dave1234
Jan 20, 2004, 09:47 PM
The college thing may be an issue, i was noticing. Some of my friends at college, cant P2P as well so that could be it, and with your problems, it sounds like it probably is.

applemacdude
Feb 16, 2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by spiraliv

Your right there:D

JeffTL
Mar 6, 2004, 10:06 AM
Just use iTunes. If you don't have a credit card get one of those iTMS prepaid cards at Target.

Faster (about a minute to download a song for my over cable), guaranteed quality, and entirely legal for all parties involved. Yes, it's 99 cents, but if the song isn't worth 99 cents to you, it probably isn't a good song.

King Cobra
Mar 7, 2004, 12:03 PM

Wal*Mart is nice. DVDs there cost half as much as most CDs. :eek: :rolleyes:

mlMac (http://www.abyssoft.com/software/mlmac/) anyone? (Beta software, free)

Or maybe use mldonkey (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18771) as a P2P application through your browser. Here's how to fire up mldonkey:
[1] Download and drag the mldonkey folder package (folder has an icon that looks like a green helmet) to your Applications folder.
[2] Launch the Terminal, and type:

cd /Applications/MLdonkey2.5-4
./mlnet

[3] To shut down the donkey, close the Terminal window.

arn
Mar 8, 2004, 10:00 AM
(Just a quick reminder.... talking about P2P apps in general is fine... just don't discuss specifics)

visor
Mar 29, 2004, 04:49 PM

Next post will be:
ok, I try to get to wall mart - but... how do I tie my shoelashes?

sorry, 't was to tempting.

rtjstevens
Jun 11, 2004, 04:18 AM

Was just wondering if any of you have any tips for good FREE Mac MP3 download engines. i have previously used Limewire very happily, but since i have upgraded from 9.3 to X.3, i have found that dowloading the X version of Limewire sadly does not work. not sure why really, perhaps Mac have blocked all free download software so that you have to use the istore instead? (which at the mo i cant' as it is not yet available in the UK) any advice, or your oen experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated. it just seems so damn hard to get free MP3s for macs!
Hi, I'm running a G4 in the UK with the latest Mac OSX and find Limewire excellent - no trouble at all... sorry...

BW

Richard

MacDawg
Jun 11, 2004, 11:43 AM

Just killing time at work today and read this thread... made me laugh out loud for the first time in a long time!

Thanks spiraliv, for a laugh...

windowsblowsass
Jun 11, 2004, 06:28 PM

wait i thought apple only went t 9.2

mlmac

limewire

g4cubed
Jun 17, 2004, 06:23 AM
wait i thought apple only went t 9.2

the 9.3v was only available at Wal-mart :D

LeeTom
Jun 17, 2004, 04:38 PM
I've found the best program for getting whole albums is Nicotine, but you have to run it under X11... and it's a pain in the ass to install.
Works EXCELLENT though!

Lee Tom