Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
My friend came to me with a question (being the Mac guy around here). he found a site with some mp3 players, which look way too close to ipods... Players are called inanoz (of course) and look like they got the ipod rejects and just retooled them.

Does Apple just not go after folks that make these kind of clones? Or might they just be licensing something from Apple??

http://www.zetronix.com/ (http://www.zetronix.com/index.php?cPath=24 for just the players)

Thoughts?

Aug 11, 2008
Hello

Hello My Fellow Bostonian Yes, those are iPod knock offs. No, Apple can't just go after these people. There are too many of them and it would involve shutting down a lot of Chinese factories. My father had a Chinese co-worker who was the companies Chinese liason and when he came back to the U.S., he had every copy of Windows software you could imagine. All counterfeit. It's not just Apple suffering from this, all well known tech companies have this issue. The best thing to do is not buy it.

-superhamster

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It might look similar at a quick glance, but these knockoffs use cheap components, have no warranty, do not use Apple's software, and do not work remotely similar.

uberzete

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Hello My Fellow Bostonian Yes, those are iPod knock offs. No, Apple can't just go after these people. There are too many of them and it would involve shutting down a lot of Chinese factories. My father had a Chinese co-worker who was the companies Chinese liason and when he came back to the U.S., he had every copy of Windows software you could imagine. All counterfeit. It's not just Apple suffering from this, all well known tech companies have this issue. The best thing to do is not buy it.

-superhamster

I work in corporate finance and a lot of people I deal with refuse to work in China because their patents are not safe; of course the Chinese government protect these nefarious acts. At least they aren't sending in 13 year olds and claiming they're 16 in the Olympics!

Akachris1

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Lets not forget about Tevion

--------------Apple ipods---------------------------------Tevion Mp3---------

Attachments

• nano_1_2_3.jpg
    nano_1_2_3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 357
  • tevion nano 1.jpg
    tevion nano 1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 364
  • rotator-2.jpg
    rotator-2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 360

atoothelex

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
yeah, i've noticed that there are many iPod knockoffs down south (FL and the Bahamas). There are electronics stores there that sell real iPods as well as the fake ones. I think their target market is naive parents who think they are getting the "hip and coolest" gadgets for their kids. I mean, come on, who else would buy those pieces of crap?

Greg22

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
8GB inanoz

I went and bought one of the trouch screen players, it does not have internet like the Apple ones but I must say for the money I am pretty impressed. 8GB was just under 110 dollars and the quality is pretty good. Comes with a silicon case, and FM trasmitter and car charger. Its no iPod but it cost also half as much, it they are located in USA not china, clain they have a 1 Year Warranty. I had it for 2 weeks already and I am impressed so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.