Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Ok so the hard drive is making this whirring noise that is starting to annoy me. It has litreally started today and I have had the powerbook for 3 years without fault.

I know this sounds stupid but if I give it a firm tap the noise goes away sometimes for a few seconds sometimes for a few minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to get rid of it?

Thanks

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Not sure about the issue, but it may be good to back up now if you haven't yet.

Just in case.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hmmm dont have the luxury of being able to do this now but ever since I have elevated the back about half an inch higher than the front for increased air flow the sound has completely stopped!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hmmm dont have the luxury of being able to do this now but ever since I have elevated the back about half an inch higher than the front for increased air flow the sound has completely stopped!

Well it's time to make an investment into backing up!

Finlandboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
i had the same problem, i came to the conclusion that it was dying...

i ended up replaceing it with a newer samsung HDD, i highly suggest doing this, anything will be an improvement over the stock HDD and you can get a 120gb cheap on most websites

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
any links? to tools needed and instructions? Would be helpful!

Thanks

KelchM

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Ok so the hard drive is making this whirring noise that is starting to annoy me. It has litreally started today and I have had the powerbook for 3 years without fault.

I know this sounds stupid but if I give it a firm tap the noise goes away sometimes for a few seconds sometimes for a few minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Its not your hard drive, but an exhaust fan with failing bearings.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Is there anyway I can check this? I dont mind opening it up since im well out of the warranty!

Thanks

KelchM

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Is there anyway I can check this? I dont mind opening it up since im well out of the warranty!

Thanks
Admittedly I know very little about the internals of the PowerBook. I would reccomend looking for a tutorial somewhere. Yiu may also want to check eBay for a replacement fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.