Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hello mac using friends.

I use a Macbook Pro (it's about 3 months old) and I installed Windows XP SP2 via Bootcamp on it. When I plug my Ethernet cable in the laptop, I can surf on the internet (either when using Windows or the Mac). I bought a Linksys Wireless Router. I installed everything using a WEP encryption key (26 digits long). I can connect to the wireless router when I'm in my MAC partition. The problem is when I try it using my Windows partition. It says I'm connected, but I cannot access the Internet :( . When my roomates (who have PCs with XP or Vista) try to connect, it works very well.

What now?

(sorry for my bad english ^^, I normally speak french)

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Hello mac using friends.

I use a Macbook Pro (it's about 3 months old) and I installed Windows XP SP2 via Bootcamp on it. When I plug my Ethernet cable in the laptop, I can surf on the internet (either when using Windows or the Mac). I bought a Linksys Wireless Router. I installed everything using a WEP encryption key (26 digits long). I can connect to the wireless router when I'm in my MAC partition. The problem is when I try it using my Windows partition. It says I'm connected, but I cannot access the Internet :( . When my roomates (who have PCs with XP or Vista) try to connect, it works very well.

What now?

I have had similar issues, it seems to happen to me when I reboot immediately from OS-X to Windows. The way I have gotten around this is to reboot the router, though this is a pain and not the preferred method-It almost sounds like the router is set up for network filtering, though if it were, you would not be on the internet when in OS-X.

You may want to verify that MAC filtering is set for off on the router, or, more securely, turn it on and add the MAC address of your wireless and wired Ethernet connections from the MBP.

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
thks for your help guys, but it didnt work. Still, i switched to WPA for more security. As for the MAC filtering, it didnt change anything. :S

What now?

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
could you explain me what is 'power cycle'? and how to do it please?

sorry, im not pro :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wireless connectivity is a windows problem. Same on any windows laptop:

1. Try to "repair" connnection
2. Restart windows.

Why would you surf the web in windows? Bad idea.
Only use OSX to surf is possible.

You should use WPA as security.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
could you explain me what is 'power cycle'? and how to do it please?

sorry, im not pro :)

Unplug both your router and the "broadband modem"-which really isn't a modem :)

And then plug in the broadband modem first, and let it power up fully-then plug in the router and let it power fully-Sometimes windows wants all new IP addresses? Not sure why-when I was a Windows only person this wasn't a problem-but is sometimes for me when I switch from Mac to Windows-and it really should not be, as the router is obviously not OS specific.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
ive had this problem with pc's. i havent used bootcamp, (i prefer paralells) but on my pc's that have this problem, i installed a program called network magic. i tells you if your really connected. i dont exactly know how to explain how it works, but it has helped me quite a bit.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
ive had this problem with pc's. i havent used bootcamp, (i prefer paralells) but on my pc's that have this problem, i installed a program called network magic. i tells you if your really connected. i dont exactly know how to explain how it works, but it has helped me quite a bit.

That sounds interesting-where did you get Network majic?

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Wireless connectivity is a windows problem. Same on any windows laptop:

1. Try to "repair" connnection
2. Restart windows.

Why would you surf the web in windows? Bad idea.
Only use OSX to surf is possible.

You should use WPA as security.

I already said that I've switched to WPA. I won't go back to WEP. Also, I want to play some multiplayer games that only works on windows... that's why I need internet on my windows.

Unplug both your router and the "broadband modem"-which really isn't a modem :)

And then plug in the broadband modem first, and let it power up fully-then plug in the router and let it power fully-Sometimes windows wants all new IP addresses? Not sure why-when I was a Windows only person this wasn't a problem-but is sometimes for me when I switch from Mac to Windows-and it really should not be, as the router is obviously not OS specific.

thks, I'll try that as soon as I get home :)

I may try this too :) thks

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
sorry to say, but none of the three methods worked :(

an other idea?

david.landau1

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Internet connection with Windows on your MAC

Bonjour nburo:

Did you ever fix the problem of connecting? I just set up Windows on my MAC using Bootcamp and I am having the same problem of connecting. I can not get an IP address?

Thanks,

David

Hello mac using friends.

What now?

nburo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Unfortunately :(

This is getting very annoying....

Have you at least tried what the other guys told me to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.