Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric.schaller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
South Jersey
Hi, I just purchased a Bose Acoustimass 3 series IV speaker system, and i was wondering where i should place these 2 tiny cube speakers. Wall mount? My bedroom size is 12 ft by 12 ft. Picture this as you walk in you are entering through a door that is relatively in the middle of the wall, and you see a large L-shaped desk on the left side where my iMac is at. On the the right is empty space. You look straight and see the bed, its quite large and the headboard rests against the right wall and the long side of the bed is up against the back wall. On the left wall past my desk is a closet door. haha, I probably confused everyone with that but if you still follow me where do you think is the best location to put these speakers. If you need more info just ask. If anyone bothers to take thetime to answer this, thank you :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i can't quite picture the room. perhaps you could attach a drawing? anyway...

what's the purpose of this? do you make/mix music, or is this for casual listening? the former has all sorts of rules, the latter is: whatever sounds best.

and if it's the former, would you re-arrange your room to improve the sound situation? are you willing to spend any money on room treatment?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
A basic diagram or photo would help. It's almost impossible to say based on a rough description.

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Rule of Thumb: Speakers should be set up at head height, symmetrically and angled
in towards the listener at approximately 30 degrees to the centre line (equalateral triangle).

I wouldn't wall-mount them, i know bose do a table top stand.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The way I see it, you've got two choices.

Your listening position can be from the bed, or the sofa. If you choose the bed, then I'd place one on the wall next to the door above the desk, and another above the keyboard close to the closet. It's not ideal, but if you listen at the right angle on the bed, you should get a decent stereo image of sorts.

If you choose the couch, the one above the keyboard close to the closet, and the other near the corner above the desk on the same wall as the keyboard.

I wouldn't worry about wall-mounting the Acoustimass satellites, they don't reproduce low enough frequencies for the wall to come into play with the sound.

As far as the subwoofer goes, it should ideally go a little to the right to the centre of the speakers on the floor. Avoid the corner and try not to 'cocoon' it too much. The Acoustimass bass modules don't take too lightly to wrong placement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.