Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Hey guys. I recently purchased an ADVC-300 to convert all of my home movies on hi8 to DVD. I had done this recently with the Dazzle, but the quality was sub-par.

So far, the ADVC has been great. The quality of the picture is amazing. However, I'm having difficulty importing. Whenever the tape hits a spot of static, the import stops. It's not a space constraint problem, as I have almost 1tb available. Also, it's not a problem with my camera, as it worked fine on the Dazzle. I'm using iMovie 06.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I played around with the settings, but nothing seems to work. I would appreciate any help I could get on this. I don't want to have to monitor the entire import process to make sure it doesn't stop.

And maybe someone can answer another question I had. When I'm importing the video from the ADVC-300, is imovie encoding it in a lossy format? I want to have the best possible videos backed up onto my hard drive. If I export the files at the highest setting, will there be any degradation?

Thanks a lot.

big dainjerus

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Hey there I just began doing the same thing except I am converting old VHS tapes via advc 300 into final cut. What settings do you use on it? Do you also use picture controller?

When I am import the tapes there is video but no sound, I am still trying to figure out, and read through that long ass manual, about how to get my audio. The advc also stops during capture when the VHS has a break in the footage. I just figure I am going to piece all the clips together once I figure out how to do it in Final Cut.

melodicwarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
did you find a solution?

I'm having the exact same problem, with all my capture programs, they stop when it hits static. Do you know of any solutions?

Thanks!!

Niko

melodicwarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
did you find a solution?

I'm having the exact same problem, with all my capture programs, they stop when it hits static. Do you know of any solutions?

Thanks!!

Niko

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
I'm in sort of a similar situation with the ADVC-100.

I am playing some older (regular and hi8) tapes thru a hi8 camcorder via svideo cables for video and regular RCA-type cables for L/R audio. So far the video has been ok, however the audio stutters from time to time.

I'm assuming this is the static on the tape like everyone else has run in to.

Not sure if going back to a lower quality analog player would help? Just wanted to toss my card in the hat... ;)

--rob

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
HI there,

I've run into the same problem converting "how-to" VHS tapes supplied with various machinery at work - they are always piss-poor productions and quality it seems. The tape I was importing with my Data-Video DAC-100 would frequently go to blue screen for a second or so. I discovered that the tape has wrinkles in it that are likely causing the issue. My solution was to purchase a Toshiba D-VR7 hhs/DVD recorder and use it to dub a DVD directly from the tape and then use Toast9 to convert it to a DV movie that could be imported into iMovie or FCE. Now the video is uninterrupted, except that the glitches cause jumps in the audio/video playback, i.e. a garbled word. But this is much better than trying to edit out all those momentary blue screens (plus I think they are longer than the actual glitch).

Cheers!

Glen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.