Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiphomemaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I have a G4 iBook that until today has run fine. Today in the middle of a blog post, the screen turned a dark grey color and the computer was unresponsive. I was able to shut it down with the power button, but the next time I started it, the grey screen came back after a few minutes. I shut down and restarted several times and was able to save the most important data to a disk, during the brief moments when it was booting up. Then finally, it started up and ran fine for several hours, before the screen went to grey again. Now the screen is black. It won't shut down or start up and the fan just runs. Is the hard drive dying? what do you think?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
It has the ominous sound of logic board issues. Unplug it and pop out the battery to shut it down. Put it back together and try to reboot. Anything?

hiphomemaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I have tried that a few times and nothing. If it is logic board, that is going to suck. A new one is almost as much as a paid for the whole laptop. Any other less depressing options?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Sounds like the logic board but reset the pram, too.

What model iBook do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.