PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 (Late 2004) Problem

binaryskies
Aug 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
It's my old computer. I stopped using it when I got my macbook a while back. I had to buy a new computer because the iBook's GPU was coming loose. After some research I found out it may be fixable in a "DIY" way, so I kept it. I ended up fixing it with a rubber shim. This lasted for a couple months then it just stopped. After doing the clamp idea and checking the shim, I went and got a logic board. I found a good deal so I was lucky. Anyways, I installed the new logic board and went to start it up...

First try: iBook turns on, a few seconds later the fan starts up and stays at full,
no chime, no display

Second try: iBook turns on, you can hear the inside turning on, still no chime or display

Reset the PMU and the PRAM..

Third try: iBook turns on, you can hear the inside turning on, still no chime or display, and now it won't turn off with the power button..have to pull battery

Now, this is the strange part.. I attempt a fourth try but this time I press down the same spot I did with the first logic board. iBook turns on, this time there is a chime, still no display

I don't know what else to do. I've tried resetting and applying pressure to the GPU. My next move is to take the computer apart (again..) and make sure everything is hooked up correctly. I really want to avoid doing this...again.

Any Suggestions?

:apple:binaryskies

California
Aug 28, 2008, 02:07 AM
Sounds like the video or inverter on your new logic board.

It may just be the inverter cable?

binaryskies
Aug 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Sounds like the video or inverter on your new logic board.

It may just be the inverter cable?

Well, I took it apart last night and checked all the connections and couldn't find anything wrong. I remember reading something about the power inverter cable going bad on a couple iBook users. I guess that is going to be my next investment. I was searching around online and found one for $14.95. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thanks for the help California. I'll keep the thread updated to let everyone know if this works or not.