Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
I've joined folding, but I've got 2 questions:

1.) I have a 13 computer training lab (P3 1ghz 256mb ram) that I can run F@H off and on (weekends, some days/nights, etc). Would it help, or are they too weak?

2.) How will the system handle multiple computers being connected with my username? Do they all grab different work units, or do I end up getting repeats of the same work unit all around?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Those machines should give you a nice tidy weekly production. They will most certainly be worthwhile putting to the task. You'll probably be yellow (1000+ points/week).

You can have as many machines folding under your name as you like. Some members have multiple labs, all using the same name/team number. Each computer will receive a different WU, and work independently of the others.

Welcome, and don't overtake me too quickly ;)

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by britboy
Those machines should give you a nice tidy weekly production. They will most certainly be worthwhile putting to the task. You'll probably be yellow (1000+ points/week).

You can have as many machines folding under your name as you like. Some members have multiple labs, all using the same name/team number. Each computer will receive a different WU, and work independently of the others.

Welcome, and don't overtake me too quickly ;)

And where do I find these stats? Someone who is "yellow" or a team is on the "threatlist"

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by ShadowHunter

And where do I find these stats? Someone who is "yellow" or a team is on the "threatlist"

Team Overview

Team Member Stats List

13 1GHz machines will defiantly get you over the 1000 a week (yellow) range. They may get you into the orange/red range, if you could have them longer than nights/weekends.

I am holding green just fine with three under-powered machines. A PII upgraded to a 1.4 GHz Celeron, a 800 MHz PIII, and a 650 MHz PIII. Those run 24/7.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
ShadowHunter -- Those computers would be very nice and handy.

Its easy enough to shut folding down and to start it back up again.

You can connect an infinite amount of computers to a username, those comps would be very nice for folding.

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for those links vannote. I just started too and wondered what I was missing in the stats at the folding homepage.

Looks like I joined the right team - we are powering ahead based on the projections. My G5 will be doing its best to help out :D

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
I'm concerned because those computers are re-imaged all the time. Do you think I might be able to run each folding client off a network drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.