Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesmcm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I think that when browsing a free app, there should be a text box and button to donate to the developers. This would be very helpful to developers who wish to release their software as free so people are not forced into paying but still wish to allow people to donate easily.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Sounds good to me but I am sure somebody will come along with some reason why this just won't work.

jamesmcm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I think it is very important because it will allow us to see if people will donate if it is very easy to do so. This is important because people cite examples of free software (and music, books, etc.) supported by donations failing, however, in those cases, in order to donate, the user has to go through a long sign-up process and so it could be that that is stopping them from donating rather than the money.

bendodson

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It's an interesting idea and one I'd like to see but I don't think Apple will do it unless they can take a cut of that donation. Even then, it is still a good idea so you never know!

I think it's fairly easy to make donations and stuff online - most people use the now ubiquitous paypal donate button and a large number of people have a paypal account (but you don't even need one to donate - just tap in your card info) so I wouldn't agree that there is a huge hindrance on the net at the moment. Doing it via iTunes balance would be easier though for this purpose.

jamesmcm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Is there any official way of suggesting ideas (like Ubuntu's brainstorm site) or do i just have to send emails and start petitions :p

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I have thought a lot about this before, and the fact is there's only an upside to this. It would actually be in Apple's best interests to have a donate button there. Presumably, Apple would still take a 30% cut of the donations, so having a donate button defrays some of the cost of running the App Store that provides the mechanism for downloading the free app in the first place. Apple and the developers have everything to gain from allowing donations, and nothing to lose.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think that when browsing a free app, there should be a text box and button to donate to the developers. This would be very helpful to developers who wish to release their software as free so people are not forced into paying but still wish to allow people to donate easily.

very good idea; i like that alot.

as a follow-up, i would also like to see it where only purchasers of an app can leave a review.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've always wondered how Free Apps work. Does the developer still have to pay $99 to get it in the store? What if an app starts out as 99 cents but gets switched to free after a day?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I've always wondered how Free Apps work. Does the developer still have to pay $99 to get it in the store?

Yes, they still pay the $99, even when they make no money off of it.

What if an app starts out as 99 cents but gets switched to free after a day?

They will make profit for whatever downloads they got during the time it was 99 cents, and then nothing once it's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.