PDA

View Full Version : holy threads, batman...

Amadeus
May 25, 2002, 02:37 AM
Am I the only lurker that feels like this community discussion forum is completely absurd these days?

I used to get some nice cheap thrills by evesdropping on the discussions in this forum, but lately, things have gotten out of hand... me thinks.

No longer can I think of you all as real flesh and blood human beings. Rather, I think of you as monsters who continuously destroy my precious free time. This forum is for 'community discussion', but I think, recently, this forum has become an IM chat log -- I feel that there is very little posting room left for the 'community'.

I have no intentions of starting a flame war and I understand that this thread is only asking for more insanity -- however, I plead with you all to stop the thread destruction!!

I tried to post into the music/favorite songs thread the other day -- only to discover that the thread had been completely hijacked and had degenerated into complete posting madness that had little / nothing to do with music (the thread). That annoyed me.

I don't and couldn't blame anyone in particular for what has been going on, but as a lurker, I plead with you to back off a bit and give everyone else some space to jump in. If you want a 1 on 1 discussion, I wish you could do it over an IM client or e-mail.

Just a few thoughts from an honest newbie,
Amadeus

menoinjun
May 25, 2002, 02:48 AM
Good point, sometimes things do get a little off track here. You just have to deal with that though. Usually a simple little reminder will get people back on track.

I do get frustrated sometimes, but I find that the comraderie on the site more than makes up for it.

-Pete

mac15
May 25, 2002, 06:05 AM
don't get annoyed just enjoy the ride....This forum is susposed to be about anything........so just enjoy it........
long live the mac forum:D

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2002, 07:38 AM
i think it's usually a matter of a threat starting out alright.

then, a couple of people share a funny idea or a though process and they start to go on a tangent.

some people here, believe it or not, don't use aim at all.

and some of the tangents are really such that they're thought of as should be only private or anything. i mean, random funny pictures and stuff can be amusing and whatever.

but usually it doesn't happen near the start of a thread, unless the thread isn't doing much.....

also, i think you''ll see that in general the community discussions are where personality and character comes out. this is why the tangents are great. they show what everyone's like beyond how they feel about macs, or politics. etc...

and most of us crazy folks respect the "serious" threads... ie the mac ones, and the politics ones, etc...

just my thoughts.

considering i'm the freakshow who was nutty last night. but it was fun :)

eyelikeart
May 25, 2002, 09:22 AM
I've already started to see what u are talking about...

I did create a joke thread on the matter...but it is true...

the topics are going so far off topic lately...and yes...they do seem like IM logs rather than discussions...

I'll probably get flamed for saying so for fear of losing my top spot...but it does not really matter... :rolleyes:

the threads have honestly gotten to the point where one cannot even get into the conversation unless u are one of a few specific users...

just my .02...

Taft
May 25, 2002, 09:46 AM
I wasn posting A LOT for a while and was having a lot of fun doing it. Then, slowly, I began to drift away. I drifted because of this very reason.

I find it increasingly hard to get involved in the forums. There are a few which I get my 2 cents in on, but the majority move so quickly from one topic to another that its hard to say anything. And they generally move because people get into one on one discussions about unrelated topics.

I think the trick is to post on a thread when you find something good to say and don't worry about where the thread has moved to, or what has already been said. Just post.

And I encourage all MacRumors members to help make the forums as friendly and fun as they used to be. And I don't think that anyone is dong anything wrong...I'm just want my personal favorite hangout on the web to be as great as possible.

Taft

eyelikeart
May 25, 2002, 09:47 AM
get an IM chat client!!!

kishba
May 25, 2002, 09:50 AM
i normally wouldn't mind the "im log" syndrome, but after being gone for a week i wanted to post in a few threads that looked interesting (and i felt i could add to each thread's discussion) but after getting to the last page of each i realized my post wouldn't make sense... the thread had become a conversation between select members of macrumors

i'm not really angry, just a little bit concerned... i normally don't post unless i have experience in the thread's topic and it frustrates me when people post irrelevant commentary that gets the thread way off course...

anywho...

britboy
May 25, 2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Taft

I think the trick is to post on a thread when you find something good to say and don't worry about where the thread has moved to, or what has already been said. Just post.

You beat me to it. I was going to say exactly that. This is the community discussion forum, and if any thread is going to go off-topic, it's going to be ones from here. Let people have their chats if they want, niggle them about it, and post whatever you feel in relation to the topic it all started with.

If you'd rather just keep to on-topic discussions, the rumour forums seem to be pretty good at it.

iapple
May 25, 2002, 10:14 AM
It's hard for me to get into the "conversations" between members, because I live way the heck around the world in Japan! By the time I get around to using macrumors, not many people are browsing! (unless some crazy people are up at 3 in the morning...I'm sure some of you are...)

I think sometimes laughs are good, like the one about the MS "we have the way out" site being run under UNIX..(that waas hilarious!)

BUT! This is a FORUM after all, and we need to post SOME "strong" posts, with content, and what we feel about the topic. I think this is done sometimes, but we tend to get into the "conversation" mode more than before...

Amadeus
May 25, 2002, 10:15 AM
I agree with Eye, Taft, and Kishba.

But Jelloshotsrule's point is a good one-- and I can deal with a fair amount of "wandering" from the thread subject. Its just that I, like Kishba, think its a little ridiculous when I zoom to the last post of a thread and have to move back like 4 pages to find something even remotely close to the subject (i.e. the reason I wanted to read the thread). That discourages me from getting involved and participating in this community.

I could just post my thoughts and send it along, but I just don't have any interest in trying to correct the course of a thread gone astray...and there's really no point in starting a new thread when the previous one only got like 4 on-subject replies. Oh well.. and so it goes.

I guess I also just wanted to remind everyone that us newbies and lurkers like to contribute on occasion too, so be nice!

That said... Amadeus returns to the shadows of lurkerdom.. ha ha.

britboy
May 25, 2002, 10:22 AM
Amadeus, you have as much right to post your comments/thoughts as the next person, whether you have 6 posts or 2000. If a thread has gone off topic, so what? Have your say anyway. Occasionally it's good to have someone but in and get a thread back on-topic!

By the way, watch out of alphatech. He *loves* newbies ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2002, 11:34 AM
i see where everyone's coming from..

but then there's this take.

many threads in this forum have been started to see personalities (jefhatfield's macs and.... especially). that being said, these things are bound to bring out comments and conversations and jokes etc when people find out they have a similar like or dislike, the same favorite movie, etc... that's just how personalities will work.

i have never really talked to rower cpu at all til last night. then he started mentioning office space. we joked a bit, then we were able to joke a bit more later and also learn some more about each other in the process. that's why i like it.

i have been to many threads and thought "wow, i know nothing about x". heck, i don't drink and i'm sure plenty of other people aren't into wine. so those threads are just kinda out of my zone anyways. i wouldn't go in there and try to make myself known when i have NOTHING to say.

but if it's a movie thread, and 2 people agree on a movie and start to joke a bit about it, that's great. they've made a connection.

and i have many times felt out of the loop when there are like 2 pages of kinda "answers" to the topic, and then a page or 2 of some folks getting to know each other. so i just post my own answer and usually get responses, regardless of whether or not i was in on the initial joking or bonding or whatever.

all in all, i think that that's what these threads are for. the personality ones that is. sure, the g5 threads remain pretty calm and informative. and that's why they're there.

arn made a great move by separating this stuff. were it all together, i'd see much more of a problem. as it is, i enjoy it.

if you're not one to get on and post and share your personality, that's fine. cause that is not for everyone. heck, i am surprised i'm bothering typing this to defend the bonding because i'm not one who "normally" gets into these things.

i just think a lot of good has come out of the personality type threads and comments and discussions. just because not everyone is in on every thread doesnt's bother or surprise me, as there are bound to be times when someone has little or nothing to say about an issue or topic.

i like it here and i like the personal discussions and joking and fun. but i'm willing to cut it all out if that's what you all want. certainly no intention of angering people or making them feel left out. it's one of those things where not feeling left out is as easy as hopping in and saying something.

sorry for the length and rambling.... :(

3rdpath
May 25, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Amadeus
I could just post my thoughts and send it along, but I just don't have any interest in trying to correct the course of a thread gone astray...and there's really no point in starting a new thread when the previous one only got like 4 on-subject replies. Oh well.. and so it goes.

I guess I also just wanted to remind everyone that us newbies and lurkers like to contribute on occasion too, so be nice!

i agree that things do wander but thats just natural. post your thoughts, have your say and see what happens. i tend to read the newbies posts more seriously since i pretty much know what the regulars are gonna say....theres been some amazing discussions here about politics, religion, taxes, gun control, the middle east...you name it.

and some of the thread topics were just made to wander from...how some of them connect with macs is an incredible stretch( why even try?) but thats what makes the community deeper than just specs and performance.

and everyone here is nice for the most part-i don't know why alpha is singled-out as the newbie killer....he was the first person to answer my questions when i was a newbie-and i guess compared to some of the post counts here, i still am a newbie...

so jump on in.:)

Rower_CPU
May 25, 2002, 01:08 PM
If there's a place for threads to go awry...this is it.

The purpose of the Community Discussion forum is to provide a place for discussion that has nothing to do with Macs. At least things are confined to just this one area, and don't show up too much elsewhere...;)

eyelikeart
May 25, 2002, 01:49 PM
ok....so I've gotten out and spent a few hours with my mountain bike...and I feel a hell of a lot relieved...I've been very edgy lately....I went from having one bad week to the next getting sick...and presently I'm taking 3 different meds to get over having bronchitis...ech... :rolleyes:

so anyway...I'm back here...and I will have to say that u guys made a lot of valid points here...this forum is the place to pretty much discuss whatever the hell u want to...

the point at hand...though...is that there are a lot of us who want to be involved in the discussions...but are honestly feeling left out of the loop because the threads seem to gravitate to being 2 person conversations...which is fine...it's happened plenty of times in the past in other threads....but never to the extent as they have become this past week...

anyway...with this being said....I am stepping away from this thread....I'm not going to worry about it...I'll just try my best to get involved whenever I am around...seems I may spend less time around here in the future...now that I have my life completely for me for the next 2 months...I'll be out doing more things...and maybe looking for some hot women to help pass the time...he heh e;)

AmbitiousLemon
May 25, 2002, 04:24 PM
hey i totally agree. and you see it in the post count lately, so many people who never have anything to say about macs suddenly have well over 1000 posts. its sad to see because the knowledgable people are posting less and less or they just stop posting anything helpful (ie Alpha). Alpha when he first came here was probably the most helpful person when it came to hardware issues. But i havent seen him doing that much anymore because he is too busy looking for people to squash. but i am being unfair because i get the impression (maybe im just being hopeful) that he is trying to do this less.

arn created the community discussion area to keep the important threads on track, and it has been going well. its rather interesting though, that we see a whole different group of people in the article and rumor discussions than in the community discussion. so i think it has brought out some newbies. its just a shame we have lots so many of the good people.

i try to stay away from the community discussion. i almost never pst there. its almost always a conversation between jello and duke. with a few other locals we jump in from time to time. not at all interesting. ill check out whatever is on the front page, read a couple of the posts see that its not interesting and move on.

and all the "macs and..." threads are annoying as hell. i dont read them anymore (i used to at least give them a chance in the past) but they are still annoying because they bump other threads out of the way on the front page.

maybe we should have two different post counts. one for the community section and one for the mac section. we would have a lot fewer avatars in that case. and i think that is why we are seeing these threads take off and go in weird directions or become chat logs. people see them as easy ways to pump up their post counts, and for some reason that has become increasingly important to people. it was a little fun back in the day, but now we see constant threads and discussions about avatars and who has more posts then who and who got bumped off the top 10 list etc. its become more immportant than the content. i have begun to see people with 1000+ posts that i have never seen in the rumors section!

its cool to try to get to know eachother, but i really dont think that is much what all this is about. the community section guys have become a gang of thugs that just sit around and pump up their posts and drift into the other section from time to time to cause problems. ive seen too many instances when one of the guys goes off on someone for something that isnt even true, and then i see the rest of the gang all back him up!

i see fewer and fewer questions being answered. and i see more and more people in the rumors sections getting thumped for no reason what so ever. i did the bully thing abck in junior high and i grew out of it, im surprised the rest of you still find it so amusing.

the main reason i enjoy this site is arn does a terrific job collecting rumors from all over the net. i used to jump from webpage to webpage trying to hunt all these things down myself. and as i started coming here more often i started going into teh forums and reading what people thought about the rumors, and i found a great resource for mac info. and so eventually i made my first post and started coming by everyday for 45 minutes or so tos ee what had been posted. eventually iwas coming back sveeral times a day to see how everything had progressed. and although i still come by and read all the new threads i am finding myself posting less and less often having to do more and more moderating. its very frustrating. i liked being moderator for a long time because i could move out of place threads (im a real organizational freak) but lately all ive been doing is shutting down threads and censor ing or deleting posts.

if you guys really want to chat take it to the instant messengers, its a lot easier than posting and then waiting for a response. and since most of us are on osx we have the best instant messenger available (ADIUM!) so take it to a chat room. i get instant messages from time to time and enjoy chatting with people. but i suspect the only real reason many of you are so into the community section is for reasons other than just chatting and getting to know eachother, in which case i just have to say grow up. (im 21 years old and you guys are making me feel like an old man around here; arent nearly all of you older than me? try acting like it for a change. there are plenty of mature 15 year olds around here you guys could learn a lot from)

end rant

Backtothemac
May 25, 2002, 05:30 PM
The community threads are here for one reason. To build the community. This is what we have been doing. We have talked about politics, religion, sexuality, and many other topics as well. Eye and me are organizing a meeting of the minds so to speak in New Orleans over the 4th of July weekend. We will have the final info this week coming up. Now, I understand that sometimes it feels like a conversation, but you can get into just as easy, as you started this thread.

All you have to do is click "Post Reply"

mymemory
May 25, 2002, 06:08 PM
The guy is right but... we have been discusing the same things over and over again... what about if a new member talks about PDAs????

Every time I have a question I'm trying to be as objective as I can, and it works fine, because I know it can fall in to something else very easy.

On the other hand... we are in hiatus (between Apple Events) so we do not have nothing inetresting to chat about (Mac/Apple related). We are very interesting ourselves!

What is avalid point is that we should be more perceptive with the new people or we may end up with a very small comunity and that is not fun.

Do you know that this forum is falling in to leftisism?

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
hey i totally agree. and you see it in the post count lately, so many people who never have anything to say about macs suddenly have well over 1000 posts. its sad to see because the knowledgable people are posting less and less or they just stop posting anything helpful (ie Alpha). Alpha when he first came here was probably the most helpful person when it came to hardware issues. But i havent seen him doing that much anymore because he is too busy looking for people to squash. but i am being unfair because i get the impression (maybe im just being hopeful) that he is trying to do this less.

just a couple things that jump out. though i don't care too much anymore.

i guess i don't know about some other people but i for one don't care about my posts. in fact, i usually don't really notice what is going on with my count. i don't imagine you'd believe me or anything, but that's how it is. i'm all for not having a visible count. don't see how it helps per se. i mean, the regulars know who's regular and knowledgeable. plus, more often than not the newer people have more interesting things to say, as they must feel a strong need to post info or opinions if they post rarely, thus it's usually interesting/helpful. i've seen probably 3 people last night alone respond in the help section that were their first posts... so post count doens't seem relevant.

as for the different people in the community vs. rumors sections. there are more newbies in the rumors/articles/help because they clearly (if they don't post much) don't care as much about the discussions between the people as much as the rumors/articles and mac aspects. which is perfectly fine. personally i usually get help when i ask, and if i see anything that i might know something about i help if at all possible. i am a graphics/vid person so that is mostly what i post about. i am not a techie, and thus have not much to offer over the alphas, ambitiouslemons, etc. sorry.

if you don't like the community stuff, fine. that's why it's separate. as you said. the macs and... threads don't all interest me. so i pick ones i want to check out. if you have no interest, ignore it.

i have seen everyone in the rumors/mac sections at some point or another. some have less to say. for whatever reason. but everyone has at least an opinion and often share it... may as well just make the posts counts a private thing if anything.

i think that IS what the community section is about (getting to know each other). not the whole page is about that, of course. but i think the community section is. and i haven't seen anyone get ganged up on in the community section anymore than elsewhere. probably less actually... if there's a fight going on between folks, i just move on. no need to fuel the fire.

the types of conversations i generally get into on here aren't the types of things that are kinda.... premeditated. i mean, someone has a similar thing in common or interest, a conversation sparks. a joke sparks. whatever. i don't say "hey, i really want to talk to (insert name here) right now. i'll im him". i don't really spend much time on im. i used to. i just don't like it much.

that said. no big deal. i won't post so much. if i catch a joke, i'll pm. it's all good. sorry i caused so much problems/time wasted/etc etc....

szark
May 25, 2002, 06:15 PM
As another lurker turned newbie, I appreciate all of these discussions because it does feel like a community, not just a bunch of random opinions thrown out for people to read.

I'll admit that some discussions get way off topic too fast and stay there, but for the most part it's just like a standard conversation -- it will always go off topic once or twice but it usually takes just one person to get it back on track.

AmbitiousLemon
May 25, 2002, 06:46 PM
ok ill admit i went a little over the top in my post. maybe im just nostalgic for the good old days of the board.

like i said i just stay away form the community section since i dont like the path its taken, but it concerns me that it has begun to effect the other parts of the site. im all for having fun and getting to know each other but it seems like its become much more than that.

too often i see people, saying thinks like just wait till so and so see this you are going to get it. and countless posts after that. talking about how someone is going to get slammed. its like you guys have started your own little gang.

i dont know if its about posts or what, but it doesnt feel like a community. seems like a very small handful of people who have hijacked part of the site.

mymemory
May 25, 2002, 06:58 PM
What you say about Alpha is part true, I mean "part" because if he doesn't want to be involve in a comunity like this is ok, I see that there is a lot of knowlodge around here, specially because some work as graphic designers, other as audio or video editors, many of us as a professionals in our field and that mean that we mess a lot with our computers. I guess there if enough intelect around here, it doesn't mean that new brains are not welcome:)

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
like i said i just stay away form the community section since i dont like the path its taken, but it concerns me that it has begun to effect the other parts of the site. im all for having fun and getting to know each other but it seems like its become much more than that.

too often i see people, saying thinks like just wait till so and so see this you are going to get it. and countless posts after that. talking about how someone is going to get slammed. its like you guys have started your own little gang.

i dont know if its about posts or what, but it doesnt feel like a community. seems like a very small handful of people who have hijacked part of the site.

yeah, it's because other people are upset that i care at all about it... so i hear ya on that.

i haven't seen people threatening the way you are saying. i certainly hope i never did that. that's just dumb. i've seen joking between people who know each other relatively well (ie, know it's a joke)... but not the real deal. that sucks that it happens...

i get what you're saying. and i agree in part.

only thing that keeps me from totally agreeing with the last comment is that every week i start to talk to one or two "new" (new to me, not new to the boards-haven't talked to them before) people. so i don't think the handful of people is terribly small. clearly not the 5000+ members. but we've covered how most don't post and most that do are all about the mac areas..

word.

Rower_CPU
May 25, 2002, 10:13 PM
It seems to me that certain people are bitter about not being around as much as they used to, and being out of the loop...:rolleyes:

This is an open community, and until arn or blakespot express their wishes otherwise, there's no reason not for this kind of discussion to continue. We are getting to know each other as a community. The "Macs and ..." threads help to create a general trend of discussion for us to all relate to. And since our oldest, most esteemed member, jefhatfield is the one who created most of them and started the entire trend I think that no-one has a right to complain.

If you don't like them, don't read them. It's pretty simple.

There's not much going on news/rumor -wise these days. It's only natural that the regular members would gravitate towards other topics, since you can only read an "Apple PDA" or "OS X on x86" thread so many times before you go insane...I think it's already too late for some us. :D

To each his own...but don't try to dictate to people what they should and shouldn't do here, unless you're arn or blakespot.

3rdpath
May 25, 2002, 10:57 PM
i appreciate the opinions in this thread but geeez people, LIGHTEN UP! we have what, 11 main sections on this sight and one of them is a NON-MAC section( mac optional...?). let it be fun, off-color at times, stupid if need be, rambling, whatever.....but why not have a place where the personalities come thru?

if you come onto the 4th page of a thread and you don't know whats going on-then read the previous pages. why should this place be any different from a book, a conversation, a movie... anything with a natural progression of ideas and such.

life is full of choices. one of those choices is to not take part of a discussion that you find irrelevant. another choice is to post your thoughts and see what happens. unlike a conversation, your words won't evaporate....plenty of people will read them and respond if they choose.

is the community discussion perfect? no. could any conversation containing the thoughts of potentially 5000 people scattered across the world be perfect....i doubt it. do most threads contain the posts of the same 20 people? yes. how do you change that?

think about it....

Rower_CPU
May 26, 2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i appreciate the opinions in this thread but geeez people, LIGHTEN UP! we have what, 11 main sections on this sight and one of them is a NON-MAC section( mac optional...?). let it be fun, off-color at times, stupid if need be, rambling, whatever.....but why not have a place where the personalities come thru?

think about it....

Well put.

Keep MacRumors fun. Don't censor the Community Discussion forum.

krossfyter
May 26, 2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

To each his own...but don't try to dictate to people what they should and shouldn't do here, unless you're arn or blakespot.

amen.

macfreek57
May 26, 2002, 03:02 AM
damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead! (with off-color discussion)

j763
May 26, 2002, 07:00 AM
if you're looking for something a bit different, why not support an MR chat?? Just jump on dalnet (IRC) and look for the #macrumors channel. If it's not there, just create it... Plz support this if you're interested!

Backtothemac
May 26, 2002, 07:44 AM
Look, I am sorry if this sounds bad, and you guys know me I try to always be civil. That being said. The community disscussion should be that, disscussion between the members of the community about whatever they want. Now, if someone doesn't like the direction of the threads, or the purpose of them at all, then talk to Arn. I personally think it is good for Macrumors, and all of us to know each other. I know that I have made some very good friendships here. This is a way for us to tie a bond to the site, and thus, probably cough up the dough.

Now, again, if you have something to say in a thread. Click "post reply".

Taft
May 26, 2002, 09:04 AM
A lot of good thoughts on this thread. I think its good that we are able to talk about these kind of things. This is how I'll sum up my feelings on the subject...

I feel somewhere in between the two "sides" of this conversation. To those who feel that the forums are getting too much like an IM chat room, I say: make the best and just have fun. Sometimes the new "gangs" can be a little intimidating with their comradery, but they are really good people and aren't intentionally trying to isolate anyone.

To the regulars here, I say: can it hurt to look at how your posts effect others?? I don't think so. Being self aware never hurt anyone. Try an IM client, they're great. And lets see if we can't get lurkers like Amedeus to post. Having new people with new ideas post is kind of what the forums should be about.

Thats it! Back to posting. :) Lets all get along and have some fun, huh?

Taft

jelloshotsrule
May 26, 2002, 09:08 AM
yeah, it's good to hear how posts affect others... and i'm conscious of it much more now.

amadeus, welcome! i see that you are quite new (post wise) and yet you have a pretty high interest in the community section, which usually comes about after you post some in the mac related sections... it doesn't usually come right away. so clearly you are one who's interested in getting to know others, so jump in. it's fun.

Mr. Anderson
May 26, 2002, 02:16 PM
Wow, I go away for a couple of days and end up missing a lot. I don't get what's the problem here. Sure, the Community Forum has taken off, but it still hasn't kept the others from sliding? So what if some of the regulars from a couple of months ago don't post there? You're forgeting that this always happens. I've heard talk about tons of members who aren't around any more, people move on, others take their place.

We now have a much more dynamic site than when I first started here, which was only last year. Its fantastic, great people, interesting and entertaining discussions. I've been posting more to the community forums but it doesn't keep me from contributing to the other ones. I still look for stories and create new threads in the rumors sections. I understand where you're coming from Lemon, but just because you're unhappy with what's been going on, you have to realize that the membership and participation at the site has grown, which strengthens MacRumors in turn. Rumors are still the main reason for the site, but now we have a stronger community as well. I'm all for it and look forward to meeting some of the people here who I've talked to over the past several months. That really wouldn't have been possible 4 months ago.

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Rumors are still the main reason for the site, but now we have a stronger community as well. I'm all for it and look forward to meeting some of the people here who I've talked to over the past several months. That really wouldn't have been possible 4 months ago.

I have to agree here...

hopefully B2TM & I will have the details worked out....finally...for Geek Fest New Orleans within the next few days...

I am very much looking forward to saying "I can meet "duke" when I decide to go back to "DC"...I feel like I've built up this network of macusers & such over the course of the past few months... :D

3rdpath
May 27, 2002, 12:09 AM
i started to go off in the " memorial day" thread so i thought i'd add it in the "proper area"

to quote me:

can i say that this new idea of staying on topic BLOWS!

what we get are a series of "i do this" & "i do that" without any interaction. its killed the discussion.

the unmitigated egotistical gall... end quote

eyelikeart
May 27, 2002, 01:21 AM
I hope I'm not being mocked too much here...;)

as I said in the memorial day thread....just go for it...

what the hell...why not....

I'm off topic here! :eek: ;)

3rdpath
May 27, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I hope I'm not being mocked too much here...;)

as I said in the memorial day thread....just go for it...

what the hell...why not....

I'm off topic here! :eek: ;)

hey eye,

i wasn't mocking you at all.

i WAS venting-but not at you.

sorry if it seemed pointed your way.

3rd

big
May 27, 2002, 09:39 AM
I'm having fun, of course I'm archiving nd burning cd's and not at work...

Mr. Anderson
May 27, 2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
[B]to quote me:

can i say that this new idea of staying on topic BLOWS!

what we get are a series of "i do this" & "i do that" without any interaction. its killed the discussion./B]

But that's the whole point of starting out with "I do this and I do that". Eventually it will start to go off topic, these type of threads are made for that type of dynamic posts interaction. Someone will come along with an idea that will generate a reaction, good or bad, from someone else and off we go...

For some of the threads, more mac related or even the polictically or idealogically grounded ones, it is better to stay on subject, but not some of the other 'fluff'. That's what so great about the Community Forum, you can talk about anything, it really doesn't matter. And it keeps the fluff and a considerable amount of the silliness out of the Mac Forums.

That's my 2 rant....

Taft
May 27, 2002, 10:09 AM
I never thought that going off-topic was bad. Forums always go off-topic its what makes them forums and what makes them fun.

But sometimes it gets to the point where the off-topic random discussion kills the on-topic discussion that the thread started off on.

My point is this: if you try to never post off-topic the forums aren't going to be fun. But if the the forums are ruled by off-topic conversations between a few people, the forums aren't going to be any fun for anyone besides those few people.

The forums are a two way street. Its all about give and take: making newbies feel as welcome as oldbies. Having fun, but not at the expense of "forum hooligan-ism."

I'm kind of sick of talking about this. Especially since none of this bothered me horribly in the first place. But I nonetheless feel that all of the viewpoints here are valid and its made for some interesting conversation, no?

Cheers.

Taft

eyelikeart
May 27, 2002, 10:39 AM
I agree with everything u said about off-topic threads & postings...

I am a bit concerned now that it's going to have too much attention drawn to it now since some of us have b*tched about it a few days ago...

I don't want anything to come back and bite me on the @ss...especially since I'm doing it...but I'll take the chance...

I say as long as people are trying to add something relevant to whatever's being discussed in the said thread it's all cool...

off-topic isn't bad...it's just that everyone wants in on the action...he he he :D