Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
I got applecare protection plan. it came with the cd.. do i install it?? whats the cd for? i read the guide but it didnt say anything about the cd, if it did i missed it..thanks

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
You don't have to install anything, but you will need to register your computer with AppleCare. You should be able to do that on apple.com somewhere (where exactly escapes me currently).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I got applecare protection plan. it came with the cd.. do i install it?? whats the cd for? i read the guide but it didnt say anything about the cd, if it did i missed it..thanks
CD's for diagnosing problems. No need to install it now, but don't lose it. :)

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
You don't have to install anything, but you will need to register your computer with AppleCare. You should be able to do that on apple.com somewhere (where exactly escapes me currently).

There's a card in the box that directs you to a link to register your computer with applecare. The directs are fast and easy. Should be done in a minute or two.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
You should be able to go here, type in whatever info they ask for, and it should tell you whether you've registered. If you haven't registered, this process should register you, so you're covered either way.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Since this is here, What are the big advantages to buying Apple care? I'm buying a apple MBA, and TC soon. I understand if I break the device I bought AC on, I pay to fix it. Right? SO if it is just an extended warranty for the device going bad, how often to macs go bad? They seem to be pretty reliable to me as I read on here. So is Apple Care pretty pointless and just another way for apple to get a little more $$ from my wallet?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Since this is here, What are the big advantages to buying Apple care? I'm buying a apple MBA, and TC soon. I understand if I break the device I bought AC on, I pay to fix it. Right? SO if it is just an extended warranty for the device going bad, how often to macs go bad? They seem to be pretty reliable to me as I read on here. So is Apple Care pretty pointless and just another way for apple to get a little more $$ from my wallet?

ya, all it is is an extended warranty and phone support (both for 3 years total).
and it really depends on what you call broken. A lot of people get really anal about every little detail of their mac.

headhammer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
if you bought your computer online from apple.com/store, then it should already have applecare attached to the serial number and you won't need to do anything.

otherwise, as epochblue has said, you'll need to register the applecare protection plan with the serial number of your computer.

you can do this over the phone (easier, but you have to wait on hold for a little bit), or on the net (takes longer, but more steps involved. not hard, though, by any stretch)

you'll need the serial number of your computer and the applecare enrolment number.

the serial number of your computer is easy to get,
go to:
apple menu>about this mac

the box that comes up starts with:
"Mac OS X
Version [version number here]"

click on the smaller grey "Version" text twice. Voilá.

The applecare enrolment number is on a sticker, in the lower right corner of the front page of one of the booklets in the applecare box. i've posted a picture of mine below. as you can see, i also write the serial number physically on the paper below the enrolment number. this is so that if you get multiple computers, it's easy to see which pack relates to which computer. (i also do this with multiple-user software licenses, eg, office. this way if you have to re-install, you're not using up another license to do so) i've blocked out my enrolment number and serial number in the image.

for telephone registration, just call apple once you have these two things, and follow the prompts, then speak to people and they'll register it for you.

the instructions for web registration are on the same sheet as the enrolment number. note that when you register online, the website will try to get you to sign up for an apple id if you don't have one. you do not have to pay for this, and if you get a mobile me subscription, itunes music store account, or anything else relating to apple, you can use this apple id when you do so. if you have already got an itunes music store account, you can use the login details here - they're you're apple id.

once you've registered, apple will snail mail you a certificate with the applecare details on it. i put this into the applecare box, along with the enrolment number and disc that came with it, and keep it with all my other software, so i know exactly where it is if i need to refer to it for any reason.

if you lose the disc, the certificate, or your applecare enrolment number after you've registered, it's no big deal, as apple have this information on record and can look it up. but it's very useful to have immediate access to it if something does happen, because it takes time for them to look it up ;)

also, the disc contains diagnostic and repair software that may be able to help you out and avoid a service job. and believe me, if you lose this, the service job will take a lot longer, as the techies will have more diagnostics to do. (speaking from inside experience here. i sell these babies and although i've never had any of my computers serviced, i've seen enough from our techs to know that you're adding a few more days of diagnostics if you don't have the disc handy if something happens)

Attachments

• applecare.jpg
    applecare.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 8,987

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
thanks for the info.. but i dont have that web registration thing.. never came with it. just came with cd and guide. i went through it and there was nothing about an enrollment number...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Macsforcollege, if you go here and type in your serial number, it should tell you that your coverage expires in about three years (if the AppleCare is active). (You can get your serial number easily by clicking on the Apple at the top left and then "About this Mac". Click where it says "Version 10.5.4" until it shows your serial number there.)

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

If you purchased AppleCare at the same time you bought your computer, and your got it from Apple, you were more than likely auto-enrolled (so your box doesn't have the card referred to in the picture above).

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Macsforcollege, if you go here and type in your serial number, it should tell you that your coverage expires in about three years (if the AppleCare is active). (You can get your serial number easily by clicking on the Apple at the top left and then "About this Mac". Click where it says "Version 10.5.4" until it shows your serial number there.)

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

If you purchased AppleCare at the same time you bought your computer, and your got it from Apple, you were more than likely auto-enrolled (so your box doesn't have the card referred to in the picture above).

When I bought my iMac at an Apple Store, along with Applecare, they registered it, but they still game me the box with the registration card on it.

If you don't have the Registration card, I think you are going to be out of luck. Without that number there will be no way to register it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I bought my iMac at an Apple Store, along with Applecare, they registered it, but they still game me the box with the registration card on it.
Weird. When I worked there earlier this year, they had us take all of the AppleCare boxes with cards to the back, and we only used those when people bought AppleCare by itself (i.e. not with a Mac, iPod or iPhone).

If you bought a Mac (or whatever) and purchased AppleCare at that time, the EasyPay (or POS, .. whereever you paid) did the enrolling automatically and we handed the person the AppleCare box with just the CD in it. No registration number was required because the customer left the store with their item already registered with AppleCare.

The OP can check whether or not that happened by typing his serial number in the link above.

macbooker15

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Hello! I'm over here!
sorry to threadjack...but can i still buy applecare if my year of coverage is up?

I am so mad at myself right now...i got the crack in my palm rest after my year was up...i thought i had applecare, but i don't :(.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
No. :( They won't let your register AppleCare on anything over a year old. Even if it's a year and just one day. :(

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I always buy Applecare, but usually I wait until the 1 year warranty is nearly up. When I do buy it, I always call them and get it registered that way. Then I plug in my serial number on Apple's site to make 100% sure it is on there.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Since this is here, What are the big advantages to buying Apple care?... So is Apple Care pretty pointless and just another way for apple to get a little more $$ from my wallet?

The advantage is that if something goes wrong within 3 years after you purchased an Apple product, it will be repaired or replaced. Yes, it's an extended warranty which some people don't like, but, it's an option. I get AppleCare for all the computers I buy, especially laptops. I HIGHLY recommend AppleCare for laptops.

sorry to threadjack...but can i still buy applecare if my year of coverage is up?

You can't enroll in AppleCare if your standard one-year warranty has expired, unfortunately. But, if it's 1 year and 5 days, you might try calling Apple to see if they'll make an exception.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Weird. When I worked there earlier this year, they had us take all of the AppleCare boxes with cards to the back, and we only used those when people bought AppleCare by itself (i.e. not with a Mac, iPod or iPhone).

She was new, so maybe she didn't know the procedure. I was actually pissed that she did register it, as she spelled my name wrong and it took 4 or 5 calls to get it corrected.

I just double checked, and the registration card is in the box with the CD and the policy booklet.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you don't have a web registration card, then insert the CD and run the software. Likely it is an automated system to register you system easily.

TEG

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
If you don't have a web registration card, then insert the CD and run the software. Likely it is an automated system to register you system easily.

TEG

The CD is a program callled Tech Tools. I got the same CD with my iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro. It can also be downloaded from the Apple site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.