Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkieffer72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
I want to switch to MAC, but I'm not sure exactly what hardware I should be looking for.

I'm almost certainly going to go the used route. My needs are not that great, but I would like to be able to playback DVD, burn CD's and play some games. I don't need a speed demon.

I've played with a PB G3 - 333mhz (Lombard), but that lacks DVD playback (unless you get the add in PC CARD) and the graphics subsystem is fairly slow. (ie, won't run games or OpenGL screen saver full screen @ more than 2 fps) (The machine I tested only has 192mb of ram, would more RAM help ?)

What is the minimum notebook I should consider? I'm new to all the Mac terms, but I guess I should be looking for a notebook that supports Quartz EXTREME?

What should I avoid? I've read threads about certain powerbooks having logic board problems, even after 3 and 4 replacement logic boards! I certainly don't want one of those!!

Thanks for any advise!

John

jkieffer72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
You may be right, but i _have_ asked some specific HARDWARE questions, which is why I put the message here in the first place..

Thanks for not answering my questions and telling me how I should post, you really contributed!

Moderator; Is there a way I can move this post?

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Re: What Apple Laptop do I want?

Originally posted by jkieffer72
I want to switch to MAC, but I'm not sure exactly what hardware I should be looking for.

I'm almost certainly going to go the used route. My needs are not that great, but I would like to be able to playback DVD, burn CD's and play some games. I don't need a speed demon.

I've played with a PB G3 - 333mhz (Lombard), but that lacks DVD playback (unless you get the add in PC CARD) and the graphics subsystem is fairly slow. (ie, won't run games or OpenGL screen saver full screen @ more than 2 fps) (The machine I tested only has 192mb of ram, would more RAM help ?)

What is the minimum notebook I should consider? I'm new to all the Mac terms, but I guess I should be looking for a notebook that supports Quartz EXTREME?

What should I avoid? I've read threads about certain powerbooks having logic board problems, even after 3 and 4 replacement logic boards! I certainly don't want one of those!!

Thanks for any advise!

John

Sorry if I offended you but i was just mentioning b/c you might get more answers over there. Anyways to answer your questions

Let me see you want
1) DVDplayback
2) CD burning capablity
3) Quartz extreme

Number 1 and 2 leads you to get a laptop with a least a Combo drive or Super Drive( super Drives burn DVDs as well)

Number 3 lead you to a computer with a video card of at least 16VRAM

G3 iBooks are the ones with a history of logic board failures. I have a 600Mhz G3 ibook and I haven't had any problems but my dad and brothers 700Mhz G3 ibooks both had logic board problems.

An old powerbook with the above specs would probably be your best bet.
Cheers :)

Edit: Oh and more RAM helps with overall system performance but for gaming VRAM is the true booster the more VRAM the better gameplay.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
If a mod passes by this thread it might be moved, don't worry about it.

I'd look at an iBook. Bascially the iBook G3 is what I'd recommend. That links to the 800 Mhz Combo model. I know the 900 Mhz Model has had some logic board problems, so I would avoid that.

The iBook has 32 MB of VRAM and with some mroe RAM would give you a great first Mac (not MAC). :D

Good Luck.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Here's my advice: Get a PowerBook!

Here's why: Save your money, get the best PowerBook you can, and, unlike the iBook, the PB will not become outdated in 2 years. The iBook is OK for a student who will burn through it in a year or maybe 2, but for the serious user or wise student, a PowerBook is your best bet.

I purchased a 12" PowerBook last July and am absolutely loving it. It is a great piece of hardware: sturdy, highly portable, and dependable.

Hope this helps!

Seth

jkieffer72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks for the tips! Looks like I'll need to save my pennys for a bit longer to get what I really want!

This would actually no be my first Mac... We've got an old Bondi Blue iMac that moved in when my wife did. It's always been her computer though, and I've never really been interested in OS 8.6.

Having played with 10.3 for a bit now, i'm certainly interested in trying to switch.

I made an impulse buy of a Powerbook G3 (333mhz) Lombard around christmas time. I've really been enjoying it, but it's just not quite enough. I didn't realize until after I purchased that it was not capable of DVD playback. That is I thought I could just upgrade to a DVD/CDRW combo drive and be done with it. Didn't count on adding the PC Card too... It was inexpensive enough though, but with the $$$ needed for the combo drive, DVD PC Card and a memory upgrade, I'm almost to the price of the recommended iBook!

I really do like the multiple monitor support that this Lombard has. Do the iBook G3's being recommended support multiple monitors? ? I read about an Apple Script hack that enabled this on certain models...

john

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i don't recommend ibook g3s, the logici board problems are overbearing either ibook g4 or pb

Bodie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Pioneer, CA
Which Mac to buy...

You may want to consider the new G4 iBook. It's a newer design and it appears that they will not have the problems of the G3's.

I wanted a G3 iBook until I heard of the problems.

blackcider.com

I would definitely go with a powerbook if you can swing it.

You can save money by getting a factory refurbished one at smalldog.com or powermax.com.

I have not seen any G4 powerbooks yet at these vendors but they both have had powerbooks recently.

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i don't recommend ibook g3s, the logici board problems are overbearing either ibook g4 or pb

I concur with that, a brand new iBook is $1099, with 256mb of ram. It isn't a powerbook, but it is pretty good. I own a 800mhz G3 iBook, and it has been thru 2 logic boards in the first six months. but it has been fine since. But even under warranty a broken laptop is frustrating.
I just bought a 12" powerbook and absolutely love it. It is incredible, but it is 50,000 more pennies than the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.