Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SasyBabe

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2003
New Jersey
I downloaded a screen saver off of the download page on the apple.com web site and it says to drag my new screen saver into my screen saver folder in my system folder... I tried that and it give me a message that I can not move my file into "screen savers" because it can not be modified. What is going on?? I have admin rights too...please help! :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Try putting it in /users/yourname/library/screensavers. The system folder itself is protected, but you can get the same results (for your user) by putting it in the equivilant folder in your username's Library folder...

does that make sense?

don't know why Apple gave such poor instructions...

paul

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
repair permissions. it should certainly let you add it to /users/yourname/library/screensavers or /library/screensavers as suggested above...

paul

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
With most screen savers, all you have to do is double click on the file and it automatically puts it into your library/screen savers folder. I am not sure if this is just a Panther option, but I read it in a read me for a screen saver I downloaded off of Version Tracker and it's worked with maybe 90% of the ones I've downloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.