PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium 15" Powerbook won't turn on

trickytree1974
Aug 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hi all

I'm trying to help a friend out with their Aluminium 15" Powerbook, which he describes as 'dead'.

I have it here, and it seems ... dead.

Here's maybe why- he dropped it on the corner where the power cable goes, with the cable in, which bent the pin on the cable.

He has bought a new cable, and a new battery, but nothing doing on any combination, even without a battery in. He says it worked a few times when he got the new battery, but once it used up all the charge it came with, it wouldn't recharge ...

I have tried the PMU reset and still no joy.

The amber light comes on when the new cable is plugged in, with either of the batteries or none at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

TEG
Aug 28, 2008, 02:25 PM
It sounds like he broke the DC-DC board (that converts the DC Power in to the different voltages needed for the computer).

An Apple Store may be able to replace it, but they may replace the whole motherboard.

If you can charge up the batteries on another PowerBook, then it should work fine, at least if you need to get the data off before it is repaired.

TEG

soberbrain
Aug 28, 2008, 02:26 PM
Ouch. I dropped my PowerBook like that too. But luckily my it still functions as a desktop machine.

If the new power cord isn't working. It sounds like a bad hardware problem.

The only resolution maybe to have it fixed, fix it yourself (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-BT-1-1/DC-Sound-Card/54/20/), or get a new computer.

Repairs maybe costly, though.

trickytree1974
Aug 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds pretty expensive/grim for him though!!