PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 problems - DC board?

Hidendra
Aug 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
so you know; I replaced the DC board about two months ago.

now it won't charge or turn on without battery. Why I'm asking is I don't want to shell out the money for a new DC board if it's going to be a waste.. i'm also wondering if it's the power adapter, I have one of those crappy generic ones; and had a few issues with it.. Is it possible to check if there is electricity running through the head that goes into the iBook?
Also it will power on with the battery, just doesn't charge.

i checked all the connections on the dc board and nothing's wrong with it at eye, i know the dc board is the most common probably, but who knows maybe it's not the dc board again ..?

Thanks!

FloridaBSD
Aug 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
The way ot rule out your power adapter as the culprit is test the voltage by use a multimeter, put the red lead of the multi meeter on the inside of the plug (end that connects to the computer) and the black lead t on the out side of the power plug.

If worse come to worse take the machine in to the apple store and at least pay them to back up your data (music and excell, word and powerpoint files).

Last ly pay for a new DC controller board.

techound1
Aug 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
A computer's PMU (Power Management Unit) is relevant to:
sleep/wake issues
battery issues (such as not charging at all)
power-on issues
port issues (USB/FireWire ports appear dead).

The Power Manager is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of the PowerBook and iBook. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

Over time, the settings in the Power Manager may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not seeing the AC Adapter, among others.

Performing a PMU reset returns the iBook and PowerBook hardware, including NVRAM, to default settings and forces the computer to shut down.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

Hidendra
Aug 30, 2008, 12:41 AM
techound1: that seemed to work for a few short seconds, on the battery it was charging, then when I turned it on and got to the desktop it stopped (or when I powered it on). Now it will not turn on, even with the battery in?
I tried resetting the PMU while it was off, as well. Also it won't charge again while it's turned off.

cowlag
Sep 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
I am having similar problems I've had the top of my charger break off in the DC Jack Board about 2 times now and so I have had to take it apart to remove the pieces...

Now the laptop will only charge when the computer is off and it takes about 24 hours to charge the battery...

If I turn on the computer the battery will not charge... (I tried buying a new battery and a new power adapter... still does the same thing...)

I am wondering if the DC Board needs to be replaced and can cause this issue... if anyone has an idea please let me know, thank you!

cowlag
Sep 14, 2009, 10:30 AM
does hat mean the DC Board might be bad or is my charger bad...
tested both of my chargers one puts out 11v the other puts out DC volts of 15-16v and AC Volts of 30-32v....

So maybe it's my DC Jack board otherwise my chargers are both bad..?