Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The Macbook has Firewire. You never said what you would use your computer for and if it's between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro then there is no way that you need a Macbook Pro.

gypsypunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
everywhere
The Macbook has Firewire. You never said what you would use your computer for and if it's between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro then there is no way that you need a Macbook Pro.

our IT adviced me to have a macbook pro...

i need to connect with my cannon camera for video recording (as it is limited to 4GB mem card) and I need to know if it would lengthen recording at all using a firewire... the IT dept say so

i am after a mac air bec it is lighter and easier to use on field

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If your video camera has a 4gb memory card, then no matter what computer you buy you'll always only have 4gb's of memory in the camera. If you're talking about transferring the footage onto a mac with firewire, then yes you'll need a computer with firewire and either a macbook pro or regular macbook will work.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
our IT adviced me to have a macbook pro...

i need to connect with my cannon camera for video recording (as it is limited to 4GB mem card) and I need to know if it would lengthen recording at all using a firewire... the IT dept say so

i am after a mac air bec it is lighter and easier to use on field

That doesn't make sense. firewire will just import your footage faster, it won't let you record more. In this respect the Macbook and the Macbook Pro are exactly the same, albeit the Macbook is much cheaper.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I think he wants to have the camera write to disk (Stream) instead of write to a memory card, via Firewire.

It should be possible.

Not what the OP wants, but is an example:
For some still Cameras Aperture 2 does tethering. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1085

I doubt this is what the OP needs (its for Windows, not Mac), but its what he seems to be talking about, though in a much more "non-commercial" way:
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/dec04/articles/trackercam/dvdriver.htm

Here is a thread on avforums where someone is trying to do what the OP seems to want to do: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810040

I realize that they are windows based, I am just trying to "flesh out" what the OP seems to be getting at. Maybe it will trigger someone to post what the OP wants. ;)

gypsypunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
everywhere
I think he wants to have the camera write to disk (Stream) instead of write to a memory card, via Firewire.

It should be possible.

Exactly... I am contemplating on investing either on a video cam or a macbook as I already have a cannon cam capable of video recording... although probably not much of a pro...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you are taking something into the field, and don't mind the MBA screen size.

Get the MacBook...

The plastic case on MacBook will save you from the MBPro's $700+ repair bill the first time you bump it hard enough to leave a scuff on the plastic case.

Also a bit easier to swap the HD in the MB, so you can rotate internal drives a bit quicker if you need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.