Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

Running G4 DP 1.25 w/1 Gig ram (Powermac).
Running 10.2.8
Running all latest ipod software 2.1, Itunes 4.2

When I go to plug my ipod into the firewire port, it starts updating the ipod with the new tracks that I've put into itunes.

However, more often then not on one song or another, it freezes and hangs the entire system, and I have to reboot (hard reboot), Ctrl-Apple Esc doesnt do much in these cases.

I've run Norton Disk Doctor and things are fine.....

I love the mac and I love the ipod, but it's annoying that when they sync it oftenb brings my computer down.

Please help!

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Try running a disk utility check on both your hard drive and the ipod hard drive.

also, GET PANTHER :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Are you using the dock or the just the cable for connecting to the computer?

You may have a dirty connector or a bad cable.

Repair disk permissions.

Also you may have a corrupt music file. See if you can determine which songs it's hanging on.

Run the disk check on the iPod. Also you could try restoring the iPod to the original state using iPod software updater.

Throw out Norton. It's screwed up every system I have seen it installed on under OSX. It's caused a lot of file corruption problems and the funny thing the first thing I noticed personally was problems with MP3s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.