Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
silicone_cases_for_iPod_Touch_2nd_Generation.jpg

BY NOW you've all seen this purported case for the 2G touch. Anybody have any ideas as to what the cutouts at the top are for? Could the one on the left be for that "front-facing camera" everyone expected for the iPhone 3G? Might new touch owners be able to do iChat over Wi-Fi, thus giving them a "perk" over iPhone owners?

And what would the oval one on the right be? Any thoughts/info on this? The current touch is "bare" up there!

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
We'll need a working link to the photo, although I've seen it before. Must be something up Apple's sleeve.

It would be pretty amazing if Stevie came through with all the features everyone wants but no one believes will happen.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
More Possibilities ...

After I posted the above link this morning, I left for work (just got home now) and realized something: the larger cutout on the right could be for the speaker/microphone combo unit for the iChat camera --- if that's indeed what all this is.

Think about it: IF it is, then the touch would be a Wi-Fi videophone with no need for AT&T! THAT would be sweet! And it would also fulfil:

1) Steve's comment last year that 2008 would see the release of a device that "everybody would just have to have"; and
2) Oppenheimer's recent remarks about a "product transition" that the competition "wouldn't be able to match".

What think ye?

asskick3r

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
"Somewhere ... In las vegas"
If you have an iPod touch that hole on the top-left of the case is for a light sensor. Hold up your iPod in a light or shine a flashlight in the top-left corner of your iPod. You will see a small dot. That's the auto screen brightness censor.

As for the other one... maybe a accident in the manufacturing? I don't know.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Hmmm ....

Don't have the current one, but will check that out ... Still, maybe there will be a transition .... nice to think about anyway!

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The same site sells a current iPod Touch case with the light sensor hole visible. The notch on the new version simply looks like where the wifi antenna is, but on the front instead of the back. It's possible there is an additional antenna that works better front-facing on the new Touch. I'd have to guess GPS based on prevelant rumors. You'd want an up-facing antenna for GPS.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Whew!

Boy, jump to conclusions, start a rumor! Thanks for that info guys, as I don't currently have a touch. But you can see I'm hankerin' for the new one ... albeit a little TOO much! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.