PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal endorses limited use of condoms

Sayhey
Jan 13, 2004, 10:35 PM
In a break with the past, but still in a limited way Belgian Cardinal Danneels has endorsed the use of condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Aids campaigners have welcomed a leading Catholic cardinal's acceptance of the use of condoms if one partner in a relationship is HIV positive.

Belgian Godfried Danneels said there was a moral difference between using condoms to prevent conception and using them to prevent death, quoting from the Ten Commandments to justify his position.

"When someone is HIV-positive and his partner says 'I want to have sex with you,' then he does not have to do it," the cardinal said on Dutch television on Saturday.

"But if he does, he has to use a condom. Otherwise he will commit a sin."

link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3394097.stm)

One small step, but an important one.

coopdog
Jan 13, 2004, 10:38 PM
Well that's good

Stelliform
Jan 13, 2004, 11:02 PM

gwuMACaddict
Jan 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
seems odd for the catholic church... no chance of him being voted pope now...

pseudobrit
Jan 14, 2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Heh us Catholics all about the letter of the law. ;)

We will have to see if the Pope acknowledges this interpretation. I personally would like to see celibate women priests. The Contraceptive thing doesn't bother me to much. As long as you follow the rule of sex only with your spouse you are ok. (But I kind of cheat, my wife is a protestant (anybody from Ireland need us to speak to a local school? ;)) so she takes the pill. ;) See the letter of the law, I am Catholic and I do not use contraceptives. ;) :D)

And if you are going to break the rule on sex outside of marriage then why not break the contraceptive rule? I guess the problem is when your spouse is cheating and gets HIV, but you usually do not know if they are cheating or if they have HIV so why would you insist on a condom?

I my experience, fellow Catholics tend to not care so much about the contraceptive rule. It's not focused on so much, and certainly not seen as an horrible sin.

OT: As for women priests, I'd think an easier, more palatable way to bulk up the number of clergy would be to elevate the status of deacon to where one can say Mass. If a deacon's wife dies, he may not remarry, so he'd automatically become a full priest in many cases.

iGav
Jan 14, 2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict

:p :p :p

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 14, 2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict

And even if he IS in line for the Papal vote, he'd probably pull out at the last minute...

:p

coopdog
Jan 14, 2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
And even if he IS in line for the Papal vote, he'd probably pull out at the last minute...

:p

HAHAHAHA :p :p :p :D