Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
so, I ask you all, has anyone else started feeling stupid?

let me explain. I got a macbook last november, which has been great. it was my first mac. also, I persuaded myself to get an iphone 3g about 3 weeks ago. it's great, I'm actually using it now :)

but, there's a problem. let's be honest, we come on here because we like apple and macs. so when someone asks a question like 'so, what's mac os x like? I've never used a mac, and thinking of getting one' most of us will happily tell them about all the great features and how easy everything is to use. so, when they ask 'sounds cool, can I take a look at yours?', and you have to say 'well, it's actually being repaired at the moment. for the third time actually.', don't you feel stupid? to be honest, I feel embarressed too.

it happens with the iphone too. I'll be with some friends and then take a call, or show them a picture and they're like 'cool, you got an iphone. can I take a look?'. so, they start playing with it while I tell them about all the cool features and apps n stuff, only to be asked the question 'oh, what's happened?' when safari, maps or any other app decides it's gonna crash and take me back to the home screen. or when they're trying to type but ask 'what's going on?' with the lagging and unresponsive keyboard.

so I ask you all, who feels stupid, embarrassd and kinda stupid when you've spent that extra bit of money for an apple product, only to be let down.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
Expect to be flamed, labelled a troll and a tool.

I'm definitely no troll.

just tried using my iphone this morning and it kept crashing, and thought about it. I love macs, u could maybe go as far as fanboy sometimes when I mock windows and what not, but just kinda tired of having to put up with it all. I need a mac for uni which I start in september, and would be annoyed if my mac breaks again. it would mean me travelling on the train for an hour to get to an apple store, then waiting for days without a computer, only to have to travel back to pick it up. same goes for the phone.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I've kinda noticed that whenever you're in the middle of 'showing' off... these things happen even more frequently!
Or is that human psychology?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know the feeling and can empathise. I'm a recent switcher, and a number of factors influenced the switch, the style and sheer attractiveness of the design (that wonderful fusion of form and function), the reputation for security, and Apple customer care, which did impress me.

My first Apple product/purchase was an iPod I bought in early 2006, as I was to be sent abroad for eight weeks in a rather unpleasant police state monitoring elections and figured I'd need lots of music for company, as the people I met in the course of my work tended to be arrested shortly after our meetings. Obviously, therefore, social life was non-existent, apart from colleagues.

The iPod managed the challenge of keeping me company for two months magnificently, but died about two months after my return. Cue first replacement, and many friends (I had the first Apple anything in all of my circles, work-colleagues, friends, family) asking after the health of my little Apple, wishing to see it, a(and yes, you're right, play with it), only to be told a sad tale of ill-health. It was duly replaced, without difficulty, after nearly three weeks, and the replacement, in turn, lasted barely six (I couldn't believe it), including a brief holiday in the UK, before it, too, committed suicide. Again, Apple customer service were helpful, and the iPod was replaced, without a problem and without seeking refuge in contractual small-print (remember, it was still under warranty). This time, it took around seven weeks. Appleless, and iPod less, I was still asked about my iPod; endless muttered replies of "it's being fixed/replaced/repaired" didn't do much for our joint image, mine or Apple's. Fortunately, the third iPod, the one I still have, is still working sweetly two full years later. (Touches wooden desk).

So, yes, ashjamben, I've been there. And yes, the positive experience of the iPod, when I had it, and when it worked, and the fact that Apple staff were positive and honoured guarantees, convinced me to switch. But I do know where you are coming from, as I was there myself.

Cheers and good luck

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I've kinda noticed that whenever you're in the middle of 'showing' off... these things happen even more frequently!
Or is that human psychology?

No its Karma. ;)

Seriously though, I rarely "show off" my MBP, even at work. I even downplay it because this is a very Windows centric environment, and few if any of even the Systems Admins even know what Linux is. And the rest are all in the same "Macs are for kids" boat. Oh well, the job pays very well. ;)

Given this, I have also never had a problem with any of my Mac stuff, except my iPhone. It seems to like to lock up for a moment when going into contacts.
Other than that, its been a great experience, and anyone who has shown interest in my "stuff" has not been disappointed.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
No its Karma. ;)

Seriously though, I rarely "show off" my MBP, even at work. I even downplay it because this is a very Windows centric environment, and few if any of even the Systems Admins even know what Linux is. And the rest are all in the same "Macs are for kids" boat. Oh well, the job pays very well. ;)

Given this, I have also never had a problem with any of my Mac stuff, except my iPhone. It seems to like to lock up for a moment when going into contacts.
Other than that, its been a great experience, and anyone who has shown interest in my "stuff" has not been disappointed.

Karma? lol (nothing against personal beliefs)

Im just pointing out that this is popularly called as accommodation of the human persona! When your brain wants (actually, its mostly DOESNT want) to see/hear/feel... something, it does! When you're scared... you hear footsteps even if no ones near! When you're hungry, you smell food when its actually scent! Similarly, the frequency of the crashes is the same except that when you dont want any crashes... your brain is far to tern and registers the crashes deeply! This in turn gives yo the feeling that the apps crash ONLY when you're showing off!

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Karma? lol (nothing against personal beliefs)

Im just pointing out that this is popularly called as accommodation of the human persona! When your brain wants (actually, its mostly DOESNT want) to see/hear/feel... something, it does! When you're scared... you hear footsteps even if no ones near! When you're hungry, you smell food when its actually scent! Similarly, the frequency of the crashes is the same except that when you dont want any crashes... your brain is far to tern and registers the crashes deeply! This in turn gives yo the feeling that the apps crash ONLY when you're showing off!

The Karma part was more tongue in cheek than beliefs. I was making a joke. Hence the "Seriously though" comment just after it. And the ;) too.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
so, I ask you all, has anyone else started feeling stupid?

let me explain. I got a macbook last november, which has been great. it was my first mac. also, I persuaded myself to get an iphone 3g about 3 weeks ago. it's great, I'm actually using it now :)

but, there's a problem. let's be honest, we come on here because we like apple and macs. so when someone asks a question like 'so, what's mac os x like? I've never used a mac, and thinking of getting one' most of us will happily tell them about all the great features and how easy everything is to use. so, when they ask 'sounds cool, can I take a look at yours?', and you have to say 'well, it's actually being repaired at the moment. for the third time actually.', don't you feel stupid? to be honest, I feel embarressed too.

it happens with the iphone too. I'll be with some friends and then take a call, or show them a picture and they're like 'cool, you got an iphone. can I take a look?'. so, they start playing with it while I tell them about all the cool features and apps n stuff, only to be asked the question 'oh, what's happened?' when safari, maps or any other app decides it's gonna crash and take me back to the home screen. or when they're trying to type but ask 'what's going on?' with the lagging and unresponsive keyboard.

so I ask you all, who feels stupid, embarrassd and kinda stupid when you've spent that extra bit of money for an apple product, only to be let down.
This has just been, in my opinion, happening with recent products. And hardly ever macs. I have friends who come over who are like cool computer. And then they like pop open garageband and shiz and it works great. And its very old and slow.

Most macs work fine
The original iPhone was amazing.

Something has just happened recently.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well since I have the high-end MBP people don't flame me for paying the price since they assume the price fits the goods; however contrarily, my Mac friends flame me for buying the 17" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.