PDA

View Full Version : First concert you've ever been to

SilvorX
Jan 14, 2004, 01:02 AM
What was the first concert (of a famous/semi-famous artist/band) you've ever been to and did you enjoy it?

My first concert was The Guess Who, which was their first concert in this town in over 30 years, I was dying to see them for quite a while by then, but just my luck they ended up reuniting :), it was an excellent concert, all their famous hits such as American Woman, Share the Land, and These Eyes were performed, as well as a few Bachman Turner Overdrive tunes such as Takin' Care of Business and Let it Ride.. that was an awesome concert, didn't have the best seats but they were good enough.

noxes
Jan 14, 2004, 01:55 AM
My first concert was Joe Diffie, but i was only 15. Theory of a Deadman, Three Days Grace and 40 Foot Echo were my first adult concert outing. There not the Guess Who, but it was fun having my ear drums blown out.

bousozoku
Jan 14, 2004, 04:53 AM
It was Run-DMC and just a few years back.

It was amazing, especially since I was probably the nearest in age to them, that everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Rap today doesn't sound anywhere near as good to me. I even wore an Adidas shirt but it seemed like no one else but the group planned that.

edesignuk
Jan 14, 2004, 05:01 AM
It would have been either The Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd. Can't remember what way round, both when I was pretty young (12 ish), went with my dad, both put on great shows, espicialy the floyds light show :eek:

iGav
Jan 14, 2004, 05:46 AM
I can't remember who exactly it was, it's a toss up of 3 artists.... I'll need to think about that... and it was either '89 or '90...

I do however remember my first festival, Reading '92, I saw Nirvana, and they sucked! :eek: :eek: :(

Best festival ever?? well that's a tie between Phoenix '94, with the incredible PWEI, Senseless Things and Ned's or Glastonbury '99 with R.E.M., Underworld, Patti Smith ;) :D

vollspacken
Jan 14, 2004, 07:36 AM
hehe, my first concert was a James Galway "Flute" concert in '88 or '89 (my parents dragged my brother and me there)... HORRIBLE!!! my bro' fell asleep. it was second row, Galway saw it and had to laugh, no kidding!!!

my first "real" concert was a cheesy two-day rock festival with the Simple Minds and Tina Turner headling... I guess it was 1990 and I went there with my mum and my brother (only the first day though). the weather was terrible (=raining cats and dogs), and so was the music (I believe Chris DeBurgh was also on the line-up, but I'm not sure...)

:eek: ;) :D

jeez, I'm glad I didn't get earcancer from that one...

vSpacken

WinterMute
Jan 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Zeppelin, Knebworth, '76 was it? can't remember, bloody awful and totally mind-blowing at the same time.

I sam Rush at the Hammy Odeon in '78, A Farewell to Kings tour, saw Black Sabbath just after that.

Kingsnapped
Jan 14, 2004, 02:07 PM
Five Iron Frenzy.
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/cujandy/brian_and_reese.jpg
I got to meet the lead singer. OMGOMG...He is sooooo hot.:rolleyes:

iGav
Jan 14, 2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
Zeppelin, Knebworth, '76 was it? can't remember, bloody awful and totally mind-blowing at the same time.

I sam Rush at the Hammy Odeon in '78, A Farewell to Kings tour, saw Black Sabbath just after that.

'76..... that's like 2 years before I even existed.... :eek:

that's when the world was a happy, happy place! heheh :p

WinterMute
Jan 14, 2004, 03:04 PM
I was like, 12...

Might have been 77 at a push.:D

Benefits of being old, my young friend.

arson
Jan 14, 2004, 03:33 PM
I saw the Beach Boys at the Minnesota State Fair when I was really young, probably 5 or 6. I don't remember anything except getting stung by a bee. My next show was the Rolling Stones (with Living Colour opening) Steel Wheels tour in 1989, I was 12 and that was the first time I saw people smoking pot. ;)

Horrortaxi
Jan 14, 2004, 08:23 PM
I saw Johnny Cash in 1982 at some state fair or amusement park--my memory is fuzzy cos I was 10 and away from home. The first show I actually chose to go to was Depeche Mode/OMD in 1988.

dave1234
Jan 19, 2004, 10:26 PM
My first concert was....
Stuart Davis, that was in a cofee shop tho. If you are talking like a club/stadium setting, probably Metallica.(Summer Sanitarium)

Mac-Xpert
Jan 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
My first concert was Joe Jackson in 1989 ( I was 14 years old at the time) It was his "Blaze of Glory" tour and he had ( for his doing) a huge band (something like 8 people). It was one of the best shows I ever saw of him. Last year I visited his "Volume 4" tour in which he played with his old band. That one was very good too.

Mac-Xpert
Jan 22, 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
I was like, 12...

Might have been 77 at a push.:D

Benefits of being old, my young friend.

But who did you go to see?

LethalWolfe
Jan 22, 2004, 12:47 PM
Guns 'n Roses and Metallica. Longest non-festival show I'd every been. They both played around 2.5hr sets. The show didn't end until like 2 or 3 in the morning.

Lethal

Dangerboy
Jan 24, 2004, 12:30 AM
KMFDM. Saw them in Hawaii at the long-gone, but not forgotten nightclub, The Garage. Gave Sasha a light for his cig.

Last concert -- Nine Inch Nails. Wore earplugs, saw the kids trying to do the pit thing and saw they were mostly drunk fratboys who just wanted to beat the snot out of each other and anyone who happened to wander in.

Music started sucking, for the most part, soon after that.

WinterMute
Jan 24, 2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Mac-Xpert
But who did you go to see?

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Some people have conversations here, you know, like talking and stuff...:rolleyes:

Pseudonym
Jan 24, 2004, 05:40 AM
That would have been Iron Maiden at the Hammersmith Odeon. Couldn't tell you when - about '86 I guess.

I once did a gig at the pub they started out in. For the moment I've forgotten the name but it used to appear on their album artwork. Whilst we were soundchecking a dog went and 'did it's dirty, sinful business' under the stage. I tell you, I was glad to get off stage once the lights had heated things up!

Photorun
Jan 25, 2004, 06:14 PM
The original Woodstock with my Mom and Dad... but I was only one. (it's true) Can't hardly remember it, ironically, neither could the parents but that was probably chemical reasons.

skymac
Jan 28, 2004, 05:34 PM
I just realized that i've never been to a concert, my plans keep on falling through. I was going to go to a gov't mule concert a few months back and in a few weeks but it did not work out. i stupidly did not ggo to the RS concert last june here in torronto. I may be going to a flecktones concert in april though.
--------------------------------------------

Nermal
Jan 31, 2004, 05:52 PM
There's a very popular band here in NZ called Nesian Mystik, and they held a free concert in my town ~6 weeks ago. It was horrible.

SilvorX
Feb 4, 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by skymac
I just realized that i've never been to a concert, my plans keep on falling through. I was going to go to a gov't mule concert a few months back and in a few weeks but it did not work out. i stupidly did not ggo to the RS concert last june here in torronto. I may be going to a flecktones concert in april though.
--------------------------------------------
darn :(, my 2nd fave band "Big Sugar" has opened up for them many times in the past

The Dreaming
Feb 9, 2004, 01:15 PM
The first concert I went to was the Rolling Stones, at St. Louis MO in '97. I was lucky enough to have the $1400 I spent on two front row tickets. I kept making Keith Richards laugh and eventually he came down off stage during Jumping Jack Flash to give me a nod and a sort of wave by putting his fist to his heart. -No ****. You can see this on the DVD (the show was filmed). The show was also broadcast live on paperview... again, I was included in the pre-show interview with some woman from VHI. Needless to say, it was incredible. Highlight of my life.

trebblekicked
Feb 9, 2004, 02:27 PM
the first concert i ever saw was Chicago at the star lake ampitheatre near pittsburgh. it was more or less ass.

the first good concert i saw was Guided by Voices on the Alien Lanes tour, circa '94.

wordmunger
Feb 9, 2004, 03:06 PM
Billy Joel, with my dad, around 1975. My first parentless concert was Heart, I'm guessing around 1979.

Weirdest music moment: in 1984, Sir Mix-A-Lot deejayed my high school's homecoming dance. This was many years before he became a one hit wonder with "Baby Got Back."

Sasha3
Feb 14, 2004, 09:17 AM
The Beatles at Shea Stadium. Did I enjoy it? Well for two hours we sat there enduring every-dells band on the planet. You know, The Hondells, The Rondells, The Stinkdells, The Delldells ad infinitum till finally THEY hit the stage for a glorious twenty minutes that were rendered all but inaudible due to the deafening cacaphony of screaming all around-not to mention the fainting girls falling about like flies. I do remember the opening chords to Day Tripper though.
I have to say that the second concert I attended was the best. The Who premiering Tommy at the Merryweather Post Pavillion in D.C. in 69 I believe. The capper was after a fantastic show Pete Townsend invited the audience to come up on stage and help destroy it and the instruments and he got a lot of takers. The opening act was also very good. Introduced as the first time on these shores a band no one had heard of. Led Zeppelin.
Oh yeah, that was the first time ganga entered my life. All in all it was quite a day.

Chaotikmind
Feb 26, 2004, 09:47 PM
Mine was New Kids on the Block...mind you that I was seven years old. Quality concert let me tell you ;)

Foxer
Mar 16, 2004, 08:54 AM
The Beatles at Shea Stadium. Did I enjoy it? Well for two hours we sat there enduring every-dells band on the planet. You know, The Hondells, The Rondells, The Stinkdells, The Delldells ad infinitum till finally THEY hit the stage for a glorious twenty minutes that were rendered all but inaudible due to the deafening cacaphony of screaming all around-not to mention the fainting girls falling about like flies. I do remember the opening chords to Day Tripper though.

Well, even if you didn't hear it, you got to be at one of the two or three most famous concerts ever, which has to be cool.

Foxer
Mar 16, 2004, 08:59 AM
OK. My parents went to see Simon and Garfunkle at the Pontiac Silverdome in '82. They took me along, so that was my first. I was some punk 12 year old who didn't want to be there, so I don't remember much (except Bridge over Troubled Water, beacuse my mother made a big deal about it.) The first concert of my choosing was Billy Joel in '83 at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor. Most recent: Elvis Costello tonight. Yahoo!!

TheMacOS.com
Mar 16, 2004, 09:14 PM
Kiss, in 1976. :)

You wanted the best and you got the best.

ecche
Mar 19, 2004, 06:21 AM
apart from classical stuff (with my parents, I hated it then) that was "dire straits", around 1979 i guess. they were introducing their second album "communique" then, which hadn't been published by then. it was fantastic!

jonnydrama
Oct 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
My book, Rock On!, an anthology of concert experiences within a historical context, will be published by Triad. It needs to be completed by the end of this month and I'm looking for stories from those in the industry and even some performers' stories.

What I'd need: Tell me your concert experiences (in 250 words or more), and send concert photos if you have them. If you want your name in the book, let me know; if not, let me know. Please feel free to forward this request to everyone you know with my contact info.

Thanks,
Jon
email me at jonrockon@aol.com

psychofreak
Oct 7, 2007, 04:43 PM
Good Charlotte, 2002, I was 12...

calculus
Oct 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
T.Rex - Boston Gliderdrome 1972.

Absolute mayhem!

skunk
Oct 7, 2007, 04:59 PM
Rolling Stones, Hyde Park, 1969. :)

rdowns
Oct 7, 2007, 05:05 PM
Emerson, Lake & Palmer at Madison Square Garden, 1977

Loge
Oct 7, 2007, 05:48 PM
Genesis, Duke tour in 1980. Unfortunately no Peter Gabriel at this point, although they still performed quite a few of the songs from that era.

Then a few months later, Pink Floyd performing The Wall at Earls Court.

ibook30
Oct 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
Rolling Stones, Hyde Park, 1969. :)

Amazing first show !

Mine was Michelle Shocked with Poi Dog Pondering as opening act, in Atlanta, Ga. Circa 1990...
I don't know if she is "famous" anymore but she's had a few indie hits and was big on college radio, when that meant something.

skunk
Oct 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
Amazing first show !Indeed it was, and, unknown to me at the time (I was sixteen) my present wife was there too. We first met eight years later.

ibook30
Oct 7, 2007, 09:12 PM
Indeed it was, and, unknown to me at the time (I was sixteen) my present wife was there too. We first met eight years later.

Attention jonnydrama - there is definitely a story here for your book....

Now to add to the content of the thread:
At my first concert I took my girlfriend, and chain smoked because I didn't have a lighter, and after I asked one guy for a light, I was scared to ask anyone else... I definitely don't advocate smoking, and chain smoking will give you a nice greenish tint - and a sick feeling in the pit of your stomache.

In spite of that - live music is still a great way to spend a night. Get's you a lot closer to the music and offers something other than the (often over) produced recorded versions.

iSaint
Oct 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
Peter Frampton during his famed "Frampton Comes Alive" tour.

28 years ago, or thereabouts?

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 7, 2007, 10:29 PM
First concert was my own actually. The band I was in took the stage banged through some songs. Believe it or not I'd never been to a concert before that. Sometime after that I went to see Iced Earth along with Jag Panzer and someone else. The venue sucked. I remember spending my time behind a trio of people with big hair while the opening bands played and halfway into Iced Earth. When they moved, I saw what I didn't when the hair mob was in front of me, namely a pillar with a video screen. I don't go to concerts to watch the band on a video screen. Thankfully I was on the balcony so I could lean over, risking my neck at the time though I didn't know it or didn't care, and see enough of Iced Earth to have a good time.

adrianblaine
Oct 7, 2007, 10:38 PM
My dad always took me to hear the Oregon Symphony, and I'm sure I heard famous pianists/violinists, but I don't remember any specifics. I do remember however, my dad took me to see Bobby Mcferrin when he came to Portland when I was about 12. That was pretty fun!

iBookG4user
Oct 7, 2007, 10:40 PM
The first concert I ever went to was a Switchfoot concert a couple months back.

highres
Oct 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
AC/DC - If You Want Blood Tour - 1978

Angus blew my young cerebral cortex away...an unforgettable experience to be sure...

Oh and yes I am old enough to be from the late triassic period of rock history...

eRondeau
Oct 7, 2007, 11:01 PM
The Fixx "Reach the Beach" tour, October 1987 at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener, Ontario. Recorded live for MuchMusic.

contoursvt
Oct 7, 2007, 11:08 PM
First concert I ever went to was for The Cult for their "Love" album/CD

mid 80's I think.

toolbox
Oct 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
MY first concert was in 1999 at the Sydney Olympic Stadium ( yes 2000 Olympic were held on Sydney Australia) I won tickets to see the Bee Gees One night only tour

Got free hotel accommodation, Met the bee gees back stage got photos and then watched the concert Awesome.

MLeepson
Oct 8, 2007, 06:55 AM
Wilco with the Flaming Lips and Sleater Kinney opening. It was new years and in Madison Square Garden.

MattG
Oct 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
G3 Tour with Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

RugoseCone
Oct 8, 2007, 07:54 AM
My first concert was in the fall of 1991. Alice in Chains and Van Halen. I was a huge VH fan at the time and my musical tastes weren't very varied, so I didn't much care for AiC. I thought the VH set was just the greatest thing I'd ever experienced at that time. Also, being a bit of an outcast in high school and being one of the only people of my 500+ person class going to the show, it made me feel a bit superior.

I didn't see another concert until the following fall and by that time my musical interests had radically changed. Saw Gwar in Oct '92 and Ministry in Nov '92. After that it was all small bands in crowded smoky clubs as opposed to big arena shows (except for Kansas and ZZ Top). My last concert was Pigface on Easter Sunday in Chicago back in '02 or '03.

noodle654
Oct 8, 2007, 08:32 AM
For me: Bad Religion with Rise Against in Oct. 2004 at the Starland Ballroom in Sayerville, NJ. It was sick.

bartelby
Oct 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
My first concert was back in 1984 can't remember if it was The Damned or The Alarm.

Last concert was Sept 07 Om.

Next one:
November - Acid Mother's Temple

siurpeeman
Oct 8, 2007, 08:47 AM
U2's Popmart Tour in 1997 at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. It was...ok. The venue was too big and the band too small. :(

onebloodonelife
Oct 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
First concert was U2 on the Vertigo Tour in Minneapolis. Top notch show, ended up about 5 feet from the stage, and they're my favorite band, so definitely an awesome first concert experience. But, best show I've ever been to was The Flaming Lips in early September. Absolutely blew me away!

merrymoon
Oct 8, 2007, 03:18 PM
lcd soundsystem / arcade fire at red rocks , september 17.

it was glorious.

mahashel
Oct 8, 2007, 03:48 PM
My first concert ever: parents took me to John Denver in Rapid City, SD in 1981. I was 5.
First concert I actually bought tickets for: Pearl Jam in Casper, WY in 1996.

Spikeanator6982
Oct 8, 2007, 04:35 PM
Mine was one in Rapid City, SD. A Toby Keith and Chris LeDoux Concert..it was pretty cool.

Schnebar
Oct 8, 2007, 04:36 PM
Weezer about 3 years ago

I was 14

Lycanthrope
Oct 9, 2007, 03:04 PM
First was Rush in 1983 on the New World Tour - Birmingham NEW. Second was Yes at the same venue on the 90125 tour about six months later.

Or was it the other way around...?

Last one was Van Der Graaf Generator in May this year, next one is Porcupine Tree on 22nd November :-)

imac/cheese
Oct 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
Mine probably was the H.O.R.D.E. Tour in 1992. Great show.

marked1234
Oct 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
The first concert that I ever went to was The Presidents Of The United States Of America (http://www.nutsie.com/member/view_member/55006?playlist_id=744636&autoplay=true&user_id=55006) they killed it..Great show..definitely a good first concert to see true performers!

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
1975-ish. Split Enz - Tim Finn, Neil Finn et al - which later morphed into Crowded House.

skunk
Oct 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
The first concert that I ever went to was The Presidents Of The United States Of America (http://www.nutsie.com/member/view_member/55006?playlist_id=744636&autoplay=true&user_id=55006) they killed it..Great show..definitely a good first concert to see true performers!Doesn't this belong in the Political Forum?
:confused:

marked1234
Oct 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
Doesn't this belong in the Political Forum?
:confused:

HAHA.. Ever heard of the band.. obviously not but thanks for the advice.

user13
Oct 12, 2007, 07:08 AM
Blind Guardian in 2002

AdeFowler
Oct 12, 2007, 07:27 AM
AC/DC Hammersmith Odeon 1978. My ears rang for a week :)

I once did a gig at the pub they started out in. For the moment I've forgotten the name but it used to appear on their album artwork. Whilst we were soundchecking a dog went and 'did it's dirty, sinful business' under the stage. I tell you, I was glad to get off stage once the lights had heated things up!
That'll be the Ruskin Arms in east London. I also played there in the eighties in a band called Deuce. Happy days ;)

user13
Oct 12, 2007, 07:29 AM

Oh my god! You saw Bonnie! I'd give my finger for that:)

AdeFowler
Oct 12, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oh my god! You saw Bonnie! I'd give my finger for that:)
I still only really listen to the stuff with Bon on it. BJ never done it for me.

twoodcc
Oct 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
my first real concert was Matchbox Twenty

i've only been to a few concerts, but plan on going to see Fall Out Boy in a few weeks

Henri Gaudier
Oct 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
Joy Division around late '79. Afterwards, it was a disappointment to discover that not all gigs were going to be that good!

My gf - Durran Durran! Ha ha haaaa! Hilarious.

OllyW
Oct 12, 2007, 08:26 AM
Mine was The Ruts at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in 1979.

They were really late getting on stage because the guitarist's wife had just had a baby. I was in big trouble when I got home well after midnight, because it was school the next day :)

Wow, 28 years ago :eek:

NotAnotherSN
Oct 13, 2007, 02:39 PM
I think it was a Forth of July concert with America playing. I guess I was like, 9 or 10.

JudgeDanny
Oct 13, 2007, 02:49 PM
First concert that I'd ever been to.... was a HIM concert at the glass house. It was the band's first concert tour to the US :)

I got to meet Ville and the band afterwards which was pretty kickass :D

highres
Oct 13, 2007, 03:00 PM

That'll be the Ruskin Arms in east London. I also played there in the eighties in a band called Deuce. Happy days ;)

AC/DC - If You Want Blood Tour - 1978

Angus blew my young cerebral cortex away...an unforgettable experience to be sure...

Oh and yes I am old enough to be from the late triassic period of rock history...

Can't think of a better first concert and being exposed to rock and roll madness than with Bon and Angus! Total insanity...and yes my ears did ring for a week as well...

spoon man
Oct 21, 2007, 06:58 AM
the first concert for me was foo fighters one by one tour it was one of the best gigs ive every see they really are kick ass :)

Doylem
Oct 21, 2007, 07:10 AM
First concert? Jimi Hendrix at the Grand Theatre, Leeds, Yorkshire, UK. He was the opening act. Second on the bill were the Flowerpot Men... Headliners were the Walker Brothers. Strange, but true. God, I feel old all of a sudden... :)

PS: Jimi was great. He left the stage with his guitar on fire (literally)...

g4cubed
Oct 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
First concert was Black Sabbath in 1970 @ the Cleveland Public hall. Fantastic concert.

pdxflint
Oct 22, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm really having to dig deep into the memory banks here... and I'm not sure which was actually first since they were all about the same time frame...1969-70 (ish)
Three Dog Night - Houston, TX -
Rolling Stones - Houston, TX
Grateful Dead - Houston, TX

I'm leaning toward Three Dog Night... which was to my recollection, a great show at the University of Houston Hoffeinz Pavilion...

Yup... I'm old...! :) Just don't ask me about all the concerts/live performances I went to in the 70s and 80s (including small club venues,) it'd be a loooong list of legends of rock, blues, soul, RnB, reggae, fusion jazz and "outlaw" country. Damn, I had fun..., but I'm still out there shakin' it. Next week is Brand New at the armory in Salem, OR.

user13
Oct 23, 2007, 04:46 AM
I still only really listen to the stuff with Bon on it. BJ never done it for me.
BJ is a very good screamer, I like his work. But Bon was really amazing. A man with a volcano in his throat!
RIP

Queso
Oct 23, 2007, 04:50 AM
I saw Jean-Michel Jarre's London thing back in 1987 if that counts. First proper concert was Prince at Wembley Arena a year later (Lovesexy tour I think).

neonblue2
Oct 23, 2007, 06:53 AM
My first and only concert has been the 2006 One Night Stand here in Port Pirie. We had The Herd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Herd_%28band%29), Kid Kenobi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Kenobi9), Xavier Rudd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Rudd), and The Living End (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_End). I also think the local band Chordial (or was it World's Greatest Persuader?) were there also.

And I just looked them up only to find that World's Greatest Persuader and Crash Flavoured Disco (they were any local band) have both quit. Sad.

foidulus
Oct 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
was a "Weird Al" concert in Pittsburgh, it was free because it was some sort of wing fest(despite Al being vegetarian). Highlights included the "Weird Al" moshpit, Al dumping the rest of his water glass from the gurgling part in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on some drunk dude that got on stage, and despite only being 16 getting threatened by another drunk dude.

Good times!

hexonxonx
Oct 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
My first concert was the BeeGees for the Saturday Night Fever tour. I think I was 13-14 back then. Yes when gas was $.79 a gallon. :(

Cromulent
Oct 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
I think the first concert I went too was when I saw Cannibal Corpse and Vomitory. I was 14 or 15 and loved it :).

Not sure if they count as famous though, they are well known in the extreme metal world.

A-Dog
Oct 27, 2007, 11:22 PM
My first concert was a Lollapalooza in 1996, back when they still toured from state to state. Ramones, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden and Metallica headlined that year. It was awesome. I have to say that after seeing Soundgarden I didn't care at all about seeing Metallica come on next.

Tilpots
Oct 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
Primus and U2 during the Zoo TV tour at RFK in DC!

ctsport
Oct 29, 2007, 02:43 AM
Does Broadway count? The first concert I've been to was Chaicago in NYC, about 7 years ago.

bartelby
Oct 29, 2007, 02:52 AM
I have to say that after seeing Soundgarden I didn't care at all about seeing Metallica come on next.

I saw Soundgarden a couple of times. They were awesome live. Not many bands play for 2 hours then come back to do encores for 45 minutes!:)

user13
Nov 2, 2007, 09:07 AM
I think the first concert I went too was when I saw Cannibal Corpse and Vomitory. I was 14 or 15 and loved it :).

Not sure if they count as famous though, they are well known in the extreme metal world.
Very good for beginning...
They are VERY famous, indeed!

nnick
Nov 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
I saw fIREHOSE in '91 at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI.

AMAZING!!!!

Mike Watt is the king!!

A-Dog
Nov 2, 2007, 05:42 PM
I saw Soundgarden a couple of times. They were awesome live. Not many bands play for 2 hours then come back to do encores for 45 minutes!:)

They were among my favorites of the "grunge era" superstars. Luckily I got to see them live before they called it quits right after that Lollapalooza.

Now if I had just gotten to see Alice In Chains and Nirvana when they were alive/functioning. :o

BillyBobBongo
Nov 2, 2007, 05:44 PM
Went to see Love/Hate at the London Astoria....er.....*wracks brain*.....1991 I think!

Chrismcfall
Nov 2, 2007, 06:45 PM
Went to go and see a little band called The Cribs at something called the Godiva Festival in 2007. They were good! The Enemy were the next band up, but they're utter tosh so i left then.

rglatter
Nov 2, 2007, 07:35 PM
First Concert: Rolling Stones, War Memorial Stadium, Little Rock AR on the voodoo lounge tour

Last concert: The Who Altell Arena Little Rock AR on The Who tour 2006-2007

sdschwendener
Nov 3, 2007, 11:55 PM
First concert: The Red Hot Chili Peppers at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre (Formerly Tweeter Center Chicago) in Tinley Park Illinois in 2003

CMD is me
Nov 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
Fishbone -- really really small show. Met them after them show in fact.

illicium
Nov 13, 2007, 09:09 AM
Metallica, Linkin Park, Deftones, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit

Summer Sanitarium 2003

Same performance that was recorded for Linkin Park's Live in Texas DVD. I was at the Dallas show.

Silencio
Nov 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
US Festival 1983. Thanks to the largesse of Woz, I got a serious rock and roll indoctrination at a tender young age. The Clash, Van Halen, Scorpions, Ozzy Osborne, U2, INXS, Judas Priest, English Beat... Good times!

DAC47
Nov 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
The Police In Wembley arena December 1983 I was 15

weirdly also the last band i saw, last month in the Millennium stadium
never thought id see them again:D

esspee1200
Nov 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
kenny loggins. circa 1990 at paramounts great america in santa clara, ca. i even purchased a concert tshirt with pic of him playing his guitar barefoot sitting on a stool. money....:)

xodonniedarko
Nov 19, 2007, 07:50 PM
I saw John Mayer, on Feb 8, 2007, in Columbia, SC.

Since then I have seen: anberlin, jonezetta, underoath, norma jean, coheed & cambria, cute is what we aim for, the matches, paramore, underoath again, my chemical romance, muse, John Mayer again, ben folds, and... i might be forgetting a few bands.

oh well

RoadieJodie
Nov 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
I saw John Mayer, on Feb 8, 2007, in Columbia, SC.

Since then I have seen: anberlin, jonezetta, underoath, norma jean, coheed & cambria, cute is what we aim for, the matches, paramore, underoath again, my chemical romance, muse, John Mayer again, ben folds, and... i might be forgetting a few bands.

oh well

I have yet to see Underoath play, though they come to Houston at least five times a year . . . mainly because unless you buy tickets months berfore time you have to show up three to four hours early to get a good spot in line. Norma Jean, now they put a good show on . . . saw them about a year and a half ago at Fat Cat Mary Janes(it has since closed down).

I went and saw Type Nine play again, almost two months ago. Drove three hours to the Texas/Lousiana Border, good fun!

(Photos in my Flickr)

Hello.there
Nov 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
The Police at Leixlip Castle (near Dublin), 1980. The first support band that day were some local no-hopers......U2. :) See here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ae9N6PeOwU).

Lau
Nov 21, 2007, 04:15 PM
U2, Wembley Arena (I think), 1992, nope, 1993, supported by Sleeper and someone else. Was a day or two after my first flight on a plane, so was a bit of an exciting week. ;)

A.T.M
Nov 22, 2007, 07:17 AM
Helter Skelter :D

Flowbee
Nov 23, 2007, 02:41 PM
U2, Wembley Arena (I think), 1992, nope, 1993, supported by Sleeper and someone else. Was a day or two after my first flight on a plane, so was a bit of an exciting week. ;)

My first concert without a parent chaperone was U2 in 1982 (http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show94.html) at the Uptown Theatre in Kansas City, MO. Ticket price was $4.

My first first concert was Queen in 1977 at Kemper Arena in KC. I was 10 or 11 years old and my dad accompanied a friend and I.

pjarvi
Nov 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
New Kids On The Block (1989 or '90) - My best friend had tickets and invited me. It was the summer between 5th and 6th grade. Yes, I owned every cassette.

Spirit of the Dance (1998) - Not really a musical concert as much as it was a dance performance, but I don't get out much. Too much embarrassment from #1. :o

mvaj92
Jun 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers. Awesome show.

Zwhaler
Jun 8, 2008, 08:51 AM
I went to System of a Down/Mars Volta when I was in 8th grade, and really enjoyed it. It was too bad that I hadn't really gotten into their music yet (I did a few months after).

volsfan
Jun 8, 2008, 07:23 PM
:apple::apple::apple:the first concert i attended(that i wanted to) was bowling for soup and simple plan. it was awsome.:apple:

drummerbooker14
Jun 10, 2008, 03:29 PM
I went to System of a Down/Mars Volta when I was in 8th grade, and really enjoyed it. It was too bad that I hadn't really gotten into their music yet (I did a few months after).

first concert was jethro tull in 05, and i am actually seeing the mars volta in september.

Galley
Jun 10, 2008, 07:18 PM
Roy Orbison in 1977. He had five encores! :D

chungmaster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:54 PM
My first concert was the Unholy Alliance Tour at the HP in San Jose. Quite possibly the most scary concert I've been in because the mosh pits were pretty brutal, especially when Lamb of God took the stage. It was very fun though, even though my friend got a bloody nose and we came home smelling like 30 different kinds of B.O. and smelled ridiculously strong of weed. We were also completely drenched in beer by the stupid people who decided to mosh with their 8 dollar beers. Fun night.

jodelli
Jun 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
MC 5, 1971 I think. They still had the original line up then.

apsterling
Jun 10, 2008, 11:04 PM
With Chaperone: Blue Man Group (May 2007) if you can call it such.
Without Chaperone: Honda Civic Tour, with Phantom Planet, The Hush Sound, Motion City Soundtrack, and Panic At The Disco (April 2008). Lots of stuff happened in my favor. I spent about $100 but gained more than tickets and t-shirts and food.

G-Com
Jun 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
KISS on the 1979 Dynasty tour.

BCains
Jun 11, 2008, 08:14 AM
6th August, 2003 (13y.o) Sum 41 & New Found Glory @ Festival Hall, Brisbane.
It was the second last concert to be held there before it closed it's doors, August 29th.

Rollershapple
Jun 11, 2008, 03:10 PM
Last year I saw america. Hopefully im going to summerfest this year.

Stanley205
Jun 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
Rogers Picnic last year. Its a concert for the Indie scene. I already bought my ticket for this year, anyone else going??

remmy
Jun 26, 2008, 07:52 AM
Bush at the Brixton Academy, it was ok

Kittie at the Electric Ballroom a few weeks later, that did rock :D
And they were supported by Shadows Fall

klb028
Jun 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
I believe it was LeAnn Rimes at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. So, so, so long ago... it was around the time she first appeared in the music scene.

StrictlyRuddie
Jun 26, 2008, 10:20 PM
Eric Clapton, with my Dad, when I was like 12. Great guitarist and singer.

QuarterSwede
Jun 26, 2008, 10:28 PM
Phish at Hampton Colosseum 11/20 - 21/98. Just happened to be made into Phish: Hampton Comes Alive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton_Comes_Alive). The album is a 10 but the concert (2 day event) was phenomenally better and an amazing experience. "Veggie Burritos."

mashny
Jun 27, 2008, 01:20 AM
First concert I ever saw was Harry Chapin playing in a high school auditorium in Rutland, Vermont around 1976 when I was ten. I don't remember much about it except that I enjoyed it, and that he played "Cat's in the Cradle."

cycocelica
Jun 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
The first concert I went to was a country singer. I was young and my dad took me. Can't remember he name though.

The first one I remember was Bone Thugs N' Harmony at the Showbox in Seattle.

rhett7660
Jun 29, 2008, 09:41 AM
First concert ever,,, Pantera and White Zombie at the Shrine Auditorium in 1992/1993. Man it was freaking killer!

MacMahon
Jun 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
I think it was Fleetwood Mac in Chicago in 1969.. but I used to see Three Dog Night and REO Speedwagon at the local nightclub. We weren't even 21 then and i am 59 now. Hell, we used to PARTY with REO Speedwagon. Topless girls passing lines of cocaine.. Now, THAT I can remember!
More interesting are the last couple of concerts i went to. I saw Paul McCartney at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. He still rocks and he's older than i am. I remember them On the Ed Sullivan Show in black and white. I missed seeing the Beatles live, one of my regrets., like not seeing Elvis.
Last week i saw Crosby, Stills and Nash at Avila Beach. they still, and have always made beautiful music. I did have a sad moment when i realized that after almost forty years the lyrics of some of their songs are still relevant. You only have to change the President's name. And I think I only smelled three people spark up at that concert but they were selling beer in 32 oz cups and wine by the bottle there. ( I accounted for 64 ounces of Blue Moon at $11.00 a cup).

TwinCities Dan
Jun 29, 2008, 06:41 PM
First venue show was Massacre and Grave

First stadium show was Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies

I was quite the lil' metalhead... ;) :)

sanPietro98
Jun 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
Def Leppard's "7-Day Weekend" tour for their Adrenalize album. It was during my college days in Florida.

Let's get rocked!

ddollar
Jun 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
Just recently went to my first concert saw the Kooks it was awesome. If you havent heard of them there song is the song that plays in what i think it the newest budlight commercial, if not that its some kind of beer commercial.

firestarter
Jun 30, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think it was Queen and Status Quo at Mainroad in Manchester back in '86.

I can't describe how freaking awesome it was. Freddie was on top form!

leishan
Jul 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
I saw Aerosmith in the late 70's (I was pretty young at the time). I really didn't appreciate it back then, but when Joe Perry used the Talk Box in "Sweet Emotion" it was the widest thing that I had ever seen.

MotleyPete
Jul 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
AC/DC in 89 (or thereabouts) at Wembley Arena.

Awesome. Of course.

keltorsori
Jul 1, 2008, 07:22 PM
AC/DC Blow Up Your Video World Tour 1988. Loudest damn thing ever.

magid
Jul 2, 2008, 08:22 AM
I saw Reel Big Fish at some local venue about 8 years ago or so, I was 12.

a104375
Jul 2, 2008, 10:21 AM
Third day in albany ny

enjoiles
Jul 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
The Eagles in 2004 during their California Tour.

WellRedd
Jul 5, 2008, 03:04 AM
If I'm being honest, my first concert was Yazz & The Plastic Population ("The Only Way Is Up"). Embarrassing!

If I'm trying to be cool, it was AC/DC; seriously, I've never seen a performance like that even since (and I've been to a fair few concerts), Angus Young ran around the stage dressed as a schoolboy for around 3 hours, he must have lost a stone in weight that night! Excellent concert.