PDA

View Full Version : UT2003 performance

Gout
Jan 14, 2004, 02:04 AM
I have not seen this addressed before so thought I would see if anybody else knows about this. When playing with settings to maximize framerates it seems that different settings rely on different things. I have

UT2003 Build UT2003_Build_? the latest
MacOS 10.3.1
PowerPC G4/Vger/Altivec @ 867 MHz
ATI Radeon 8500
640mb ram

Texture and character details seem to be ram? dependent. Maybe vid card.

Physics settings and details in the check boxes (coronas etc.) seem to pe processor dependent.

I can crank up textures with no loss in framerate.
800x600 works better than 640x480.
higher resolutions take a small hit relative to physics detail and the check boxes.

Interested to see if anybody else has seen this or knows anything about it.

CubeHacker
Jan 14, 2004, 10:31 AM
If you can turn up your texture quality/resolution without a loss in performance, that means you're processor limited. In other words, your processor isn't fast enough to drive your video card to its fullest.

PismoGuy
Jan 14, 2004, 04:32 PM
If you can turn up your texture quality/resolution without a loss in performance, that means you're processor limited. In other words, your processor isn't fast enough to drive your video card to its fullest.

I thought that the CPU only takes care of the AI and Physics and that the Video Card that takes care of shading, coronas, dynamic lights, filtering,...., etc.

If you can turn up your texture quality/resolution without a loss in performance

Isn't this only true if you have a lot of Video memory? (More than 64MB)
I take a huge hit from it with my 32MB Geforce 2MX (depends on size of map).