Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cablebob1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I've got a vector drawing program called Inkscape that runs using X11. X11 sometimes quits in the middle of working on it and then won't open for about 24 hours. Anybody have a clue what's going on here?? Any way to fix it?? Is there another freeware software that will work for vector drawing??

ge3kd

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
I downloaded Inkscape a couple days ago and can't get the thing to work. Everytime I try to open it I get a message saying,

"While Inkscape is open, its windows can be displayed or hidden by displaying or hiding the X11 application. The first time this version of Inkscape is run it may take several minutes before the main window is displayed while the font caches are built."

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how do I get past this to actually use the program?

cablebob1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, It said that with me too. I just let it sit for a minute and while it loaded and then it worked. But the program still has glitches. If you can't get to it run try re-downloading it.

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
What is this Inkscape? Never heard of it. Is it a free download?

I am a pro graphic designer, so I use Illustrator CS3, but my daughter wants a vector program to use—one that's easier.

cablebob1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Inkscape is a free vector program that is fairly easy to use. It has to have X11 to run though. It does have some problems like it will shut down in the middle of running it. I've lost hours of work with it doing that. So if you use it make sure you save your work regularly. Other than that it pretty good for freeware. I've never used Illustrator so I don't know how it compares with it, but I like it.
Give it a try and see what you think.

http://www.inkscape.org/

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
Inkscape is a free vector program that is fairly easy to use. It has to have X11 to run though. It does have some problems like it will shut down in the middle of running it. I've lost hours of work with it doing that. So if you use it make sure you save your work regularly. Other than that it pretty good for freeware. I've never used Illustrator so I don't know how it compares with it, but I like it.
Give it a try and see what you think.

http://www.inkscape.org/

Thanks for the link, however it is not for me, but for my daughter. I use Illustrator CS3 and can't imagine going from that to a freeware.

I will let you know if my daughter likes it, and of course, I will play around with it beforehand, just in case. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.