PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep or sell my Powerbook G4 12"

cheapa55
Aug 29, 2008, 03:40 PM
I am thinking about selling my wife's G4. I seem to be getting a LOT of interest in this little beast. Should I keep it or just sell it. Not really using it right now except for occasional internet browsing.

processor is 867mhz
640mb ram
running Tiger.

How much is it worth if I sell it?

Thanks for any advice.

Eddyisgreat
Aug 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
425-475+ easily, depending on external condition.

deputy_doofy
Aug 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, I cannot see parting with my PB 12", even though I've had my MBP since 10/2006. Just me, though...

cheapa55
Aug 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
yeah, seems like it's fetching about that much. Great resale value. :)

Doofy, why do you feel like keeping it? and not parting with it?

monkey86
Aug 30, 2008, 06:00 AM
im keeping mine :)

12" the 'best' portable apple made aesthetically and its solid.

my 1.33/1.25 is running leopard perfectly :D

even though i upgraded i still use it day to day and at work its awesome.

skyrider007
Aug 30, 2008, 06:52 AM
Unless you're having financial difficulty, keep the PB. I think it's a classic machine. I even want one! :)

monkey86
Aug 30, 2008, 07:39 AM
if you think the resale is good now, imagine 2 years from now.

Keep it in great condition, safe etc and it will help you out in the future ;)

thebeesknees
Aug 30, 2008, 10:54 PM
Unless you need the cash, I'd keep it. If you don't want to use it as a normal PC, there are great uses for it... If you have kids, give it to them. If not, or if you don't want to, try using it as a server.

California
Aug 31, 2008, 03:29 AM
I solved my being in love with my slower Powerbook 12" 1.5ghz
(yours is even slower, sorry) by buying a Powermac G5 and an Apple Display.

I've been target mode booting the 250gb hard drive in my Powerbook (you should get one for you 867mhz) into the G5 and using it with the Apple Cinema Display and Leopard for backups.

So basically, I am running a G5 Powerbook (YES THIS IS THE breakthrough) and when I need the best smallest laptop Apple ever made to go on the go, I'm ready.

I'm a PPC geek, tho. And you know what i would do if i were you, actually? Sell it and get a used 1.5ghz 12" powerbook like mine. When you are on the go, it's got more maxed memory and more CPU.

grnsky
Feb 14, 2009, 01:13 AM
I have a powerbook that is just about the reach the end of Applecare (March 1st) and I've always thought I would sell it just before then because I don't want to deal with anything going wrong, but I'm starting to have doubts now. It's such a great machine and I even put in a 250gig hard drive myself. I also just got a replacement screen and logic board courtesy of apple which is really nice. I got an offer of $525 - should I do it??? or is this nuts!

I rarely use it but I do from time to time and when I dj it's really nice to have a laptop like this that is just powerful enough but not so nice that I be paranoid about taking it to a gig. Any suggestions??

Is it likely that some new thing is going to break within the next two years and cost hundreds of dollars to repair?

tibi08
Feb 14, 2009, 03:41 AM
Is it likely that some new thing is going to break within the next two years and cost hundreds of dollars to repair?

Most things go wrong early on (except hard disk faliure which seems to catch up with every hard disk eventually). If you've not had any problems I'd suggest running with it - just make sure you use backups!

grnsky
Feb 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
I actually got my hard drive from OWC just about a year ago so it has two more years of warranty :). Same with the RAM and it has a lifetime guarantee by them.

I guess I know I what I should do then. I just hope I don't regret turning this offer down come next fall if say laptops like this suddenly become worth practically nothing. But it seems like with the economy, people are slow to embrace the newest line of macs and ever better componenents.

Might as well ride it out and just do my best to take care of it on my own from here on in. If nothing else, a good second computer if the new thing I get ever has to go to the shop or I need to do a gig in a super filthy place.

Anyone else have a thought or two?

clyde2801
Feb 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
Seems to me you've got a fair little mac netbook...small, light, portable, solid, with enough oomph to do browsing, email, etc., etc.

Best of all, it's already paid for!

My depression baby (1st gen) father finally ponied up the money for a g4 ibook, and I have to admit how useful it was surfing on a decent wifi connection with a 1.07 g4 processor and 3/4 gigs of ram on 10.4.

If I hadn't have done a hackintosh on my mini lenovo netbook, I probably would have gotten one myself for the price he paid for it.

macJC50640
Feb 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
I have a snow dual-usb iBook G3 and it still serves as a very useful machine for me. Just right for basic schoolwork (Word for Mac came with it). If I want I can take it to a hotel on a trip and use the free internet. Best of all, I have the 12 inch model and not the 14 inch, so its very compact. See sig. :D

Pika
Feb 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
I use my old white plastic iBook for download/upload stuffs via torrent 24h/7. So yes... keeping old laptops is useful.

DavidG328
Mar 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'm debating this same thing. I LOVE my 12" PB, but I also wouldn't mind a new Mini. I'm thinking if I can sell my PB for around $400 (almost everything except the case and battery are brand new), then I can pony up the rest for the Mini. Tough decision.