Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Hey all just wanted to see if anyone knew if other than the extra 5Gigs if Apple may have changed anything about the ipods. Like would the new ones maybe be better battery wise or should they run identically to the discontinued 10gig model and if so for 249 same as mini-pod pretty good deal.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
If that's the product you need then it's a good deal.
The new 15GB iPods are probably the same as the ones they "discontinued" a couple months ago, which means they're the same as the 10GB apart from disk size.
The 10GB didn't come with some of the accessories though--dock and remote (I think), so consider that before buying.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Same argument as the 15GB

I think that, in many ways, the argument is the same as the one between the mini and the 15GB. If physical size (and arguably style... I personally like the look of the 'Classic' iPods) is important to you (it is smaller), and you think 4GB is enough, then go for the mini. Else, if HD size is more important, go for the 10 GB. I don't think the battery life is any different between the two iPods. Another thing to think about is accessories. Some of the mini accessories won't work with the Classic, and some of the Classic (i.e. the battery pack and others) won't work with the mini.

All-in-all, I'd probably say get the 10 GB.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the 15 GB is exactly the same as before, when the lineup was 10/15/30.

(since then, it has gone to 10/20/40 and now, 15/20/40.)

the difference is that the 15 back then came with all the accessories. now, they don't.

comparing to mini... hmm, that's mostly your style. if i had just a few gigs of music, then i'd consider the mini, but i have more than 15 GB...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
at least since the 3rd gen ('dockable') iPods, prices have always been $300/400/500. so before, 15 GB with accessories was $400.

considering that they took away accessories, it's not really an "upgrade" because if you buy the 15 GB and the accessories, it will end up costing more than before.

this 15 GB iPod re-introduction should strictly be regarded as the 10 GB upgrade... for the same $300, you get 15 GB instead of 10 now.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
coming from the owner for a 15 gig, i would say go for the mini. the 10 is not going to come with any accessories, and for 6 gigs, i'd go for the size and style, the newest thing out. i thought i was cool first quarter of school because i was one of the only kids on campus at ohio state toting around an ipod... after winter break, half the kids walking around have them (well, not half, that would be like 30,000 people, but you get the picture). true, i like having all of the storage space and having ALL my tunes at my disposal (about 8 gigs) but if i were to make my decision right now... i'd go with the mini. it's just a personal preference choice... size and storage, or small and stylish. no one on these forums is going to be able to make that call for you, only yourself.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
The prices have always been 3 4 and 5 hundred. since introducted the 3 capacity models. back that the 15 was the midrange. Other then capacity the 15 was identical to the 20 in price and accessories.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Re: $249 10Gig Ipods at Best Buy worth it?

Originally posted by willmg
Hey all just wanted to see if anyone knew if other than the extra 5Gigs if Apple may have changed anything about the ipods. Like would the new ones maybe be better battery wise or should they run identically to the discontinued 10gig model and if so for 249 same as mini-pod pretty good deal.

I guess it's all relative. I paid $260 for my 15GB after it was discontinued. Back then, it came with the carry case and dock. $249 is a good deal for the 10GB. The dock is cool but not a necessary accessory.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
not necessarly difference in connections. Just in the software on the device. The iPod mini probably is running a streamlined version of the ipod software, support for those devices was probably cut out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.