PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thurrott at CES

Darwin
Jan 14, 2004, 09:07 AM
This is my first thread so go easy on me :D

I've tried to put this in the right forum so if I got it wrong I no for next time

Anyway this is a guy called Paul Thurrott who has his own website deicated to Windows, some of you may no of him for being a bit biased

Well this is what he had to say about MacWorld

Jobs's Disappointing Macworld Keynote Address Makes Even Gates Look Good

Lost amid all the hubbub of CES was the start of Macworld Conference & Expo, which opened Tuesday with an unexciting Steve Jobs keynote. Jobs usually kills at these events, delivering a slew of exciting products to a friendly crowd eager to lap up whatever he has to offer. But even the most crazed Apple fan has to admit that this Macworld conference was the lamest since Jobs returned to the company, with few exciting new products. The new iPod minis are cute but predictable--and vastly overpriced. Garage Band, a music-mixing application, targets the smallest possible market. The new iLife application, although interesting, isn't shipping yet and won't be free. Apple didn't present any faster Power Mac G5s, cheaper PowerBooks or iPods, or Apple-branded office-productivity tools, as many rumor sites had hoped. All in all, Macworld was a rather boring affair.

what do you guys think?

filipp
Jan 14, 2004, 09:59 AM
he's a moron

jrv3034
Jan 14, 2004, 10:33 AM
They guy is very biased against Mac.

However, I have to say that this wasn't a particularly impressive Macworld. I was expecting new Power Macs, and the Mini should be $199, not $249.

That said, Gates just looked stupid announcing the "Portable Media Player" that "fits in your pocket". Yeah, it's very slim. :rolleyes:

I think Steve's got some pretty cool things lined up for the end of this month, and they're just trying to break the "new products at macworld" pattern for buyers.

scem0
Jan 14, 2004, 10:46 AM
This guy is very biased, but if I were to dwell over every biased PC user and every biased Mac user, then let's just say that I would dwell a lot. ;)

There are idiots on both sides of the spectrum, the best thing to do is just ignore them.

scem0

matthew24
Jan 14, 2004, 11:42 AM
IPhoto, Garageband (impressive), the new XServe, Office 2004, Mini Ipod, FinalCut Express 2!!! It was great, only small dissapointment; No new PowerMac (can wait, be real) and IMac. Apple keeps innovating in an impressive pace, to call MWSF boring is totally absurd.

2004 will be a great Apple year!

MattG
Jan 15, 2004, 07:57 AM
The new iLife application, although interesting, isn't shipping yet and won't be free. Pffft. Yeah, and when has Microsoft ever given anything away for free?

iGav
Jan 15, 2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by MattG
Pffft. Yeah, and when has Microsoft ever given anything away for free?

errrrr... IE :p but then, think how pi$$ed you'd be if you had to pay it.... :eek: :p

MattG
Jan 15, 2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
errrrr... IE :p but then, think how pi$$ed you'd be if you had to pay it.... :eek: :p Allow me to rephrase:

Pffft. Yeah, and when has Microsoft ever given away anything good for free?

;)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 15, 2004, 08:40 AM
well the guy is biased but it was one of the worst keynotes in awhile if you were expecting something other then a new mp3 player. I know apple is getting away from keynote releases but it wasnt all that great to me. i had changed my work schedule that day for it. I wish i hadnt.:rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2004, 08:47 AM
While the iPod mini was interesting (and think given the current pricing of the competition, well priced). Could have there been more? Yes IMO. But the 20th anniversary year is still young. The 24th is just around the conner, and who knows what surprises Apple may have in store.