PDA

View Full Version : Musicmatch on evolution of music stores and iTunes relative ...

MacBytes
Jan 14, 2004, 09:16 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Musicmatch on evolution of music stores and iTunes relative success (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040114101639)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

JohnHummel
Jan 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
I think iTunes is successful, since I believe they have about 400,000 users, according to Nielsen. But we have 45 million registered users of our software, and we just had our biggest increase in users from October to November of 2003. That comparison shows that even though iTunes has gotten a lot of press, they don't have that many users yet. I think they have a very nice music store, and downloads are a very hot story. But in terms of developing a very large customer base, when compared to Musicmatch, they're still much smaller.

Wow. So because people have registered to use their software, but not their music service, that gives them a bigger install base than iTunes Music Store.

So how many "millions of users" actually use the MusicMatch music store? How many of the "45 million" have bought a song from MusicMatch? The number can't be better than the iTunes store, or else they would have said that.

And where does that number come from? Are those unique users, are they including OEM where the software is installed on an outgoing computer? Do they actually have a database of 45 million users with emails, or just 45 million downloads, which could be the folks who had to reformat their machine and reinstall software.

I give them credit: they made a product that was, at one time, good enough for Apple to use with the iPod on Windows, and from what I've seen, it's a nice little interface. But this strikes me as being 90% "marketing-speak" which has no valid relation to reality.

Which, so far, is 35% MP3 players = iPod, 60-70% of all online music sales = iTunes Music Store. Until *those* numbers start to change, I think MusicMatch, and the other competitors, had better work harder.

1macker1
Jan 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
WOW 45 million users, that's kinda hard to beat.

pgwalsh
Jan 14, 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
WOW 45 million users, that's kinda hard to beat. Well I'm a registered user, but I never use the piece of crap... It's terrible. The interface design engineer must of pulled a fast one on them... He's at home going oh shiat, right now...

1macker1
Jan 14, 2004, 03:21 PM
But out of 45 million users registered, the number of actual users must be pretty high. (just guessing)