Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
I'm looking for an armband holder for my iphone while running.
One of my main concerns is having my iphone, in a case on my sweaty arm.
Recommendations...?

danterner

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I've tried two so far.

The first one I picked up is the Marware Sportsuit Convertible. It bills itself as an all-in-one (it's a sleeve! it's a belt-clip! it's an armband! it's a breath mint! it's a candy! tastes great! less filling!) but while I found the armband function to work very well, I wouldn't consider using it bandless as my primary case - something I had hoped to do before I got it. The belt-clip is just too flimsy, and the case itself isn't very stylish. Plus, the clear plastic that protects the screen (it's an integral part of the case) causes some bubbling/rainbow effect on the screen of the iphone because there are some areas where the clear vinyl touches the screen and others where it doesn't. I do feel like the phone is very protected within the case while I'm running, and the armband is very comfortable.

The second one I picked up is the Belkin Sports Armband with FastFit. Unlike the Marware, it has reflective piping around the edges, which is nice. It's also made of a more stretchy material than the Marware. That, for me, is key and is the reason I picked it up: I keep my phone in a case (the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel) and I don't want to have to take my phone out of its case each time I want to go running, to be able to insert it into the armband. With the Marware, there's no way I'd get a cased phone into the Marware. With the Belkin, it's a tight fit but just-possible. (The phone would be snug caseless; it's not like it would be loose within the Belkin, otherwise. It's just that the Belkin is stretchy enough to accommodate the case (barely)). The armband for the Belkin isn't as nice as the armband of the Marware. The Belkin didn't come with a beltclip, but did come with an attachable earphone cord-wrapper. The Marware came with a screen protector; the Belkin didn't. On both of these, the armband comes between your arm and the phone, so I'm not particularly concerned with sweat affecting the phone.

I think that, overall, the Marware is the nicer case. But because it can't fit my phone without removing it from its case, I'm going to be sticking with the Belkin.

Okay: breaking it down -

Sportsuit
Can't fit a cased phone
Flimsy beltclip
Better-feeling armband
Has a detachable key/change pouch
Can be used independently of the armband as a regular case
Clear vinyl screen causes bubbling/rainbow
Comfortable armband
Material is less stretchy
Comes with a screen protector
Overall the nicer case

Belkin
Can (barely) fit a cased phone
Has an integrated slot for a key
Has a detachable headphone cord-keeper
Reflective piping
Clear vinyl screen causes bubbling/rainbow
Serviceable armband
Material is more stretchy (kind of like the nike+ armband)
No included screen protector

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
Thanks for the detailed report.

First, that SwitchEasy Capsule looks like a really nice case!

I'm presently using a silicone slip-on case with a bodyarmour ($7.00 Ebay item- works great!) type film protector for front screen.

At this point I'm probably leaning toward the Marware simply because it looks like a nicer case and it can also double for me as a 2nd case when the armband is removed. I'm just wondering how accessible/functional the touch screen is through the plastic?

danterner

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the detailed report.

First, that SwitchEasy Capsule looks like a really nice case!

I'm presently using a silicone slip-on case with a bodyarmour ($7.00 Ebay item- works great!) type film protector for front screen.

At this point I'm probably leaning toward the Marware simply because it looks like a nicer case and it can also double for me as a 2nd case when the armband is removed. I'm just wondering how accessible/functional the touch screen is through the plastic?

I'm very happy with the SwitchEasy.

The touch screen is accessible/functional through the clear vinyl of the Marware, but it's not pleasant. It's nothing like a thin screen protector, where properly applied you don't even know it is there - rather, it's more akin to the type of plastic sheeting old people cover their couches with. Imagine trying to use your iphone through that type of material. It works, but it's not fun. It doesn't apply to the screen of the iPhone; it is an integrated part of the case. That means that there are parts of it that rest against the screen, while other parts lift up a bit. Doing iPhone finger acrobatics definitely takes more effort. I'd say you shouldn't bank on either the Marware or the Belkin as a day-to-day case. As an armband, the Marware is definitely superior to the Belkin.

Steve iPhone 3G

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
That, for me, is key and is the reason I picked it up: I keep my phone in a case (the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel) and I don't want to have to take my phone out of its case each time I want to go running, to be able to insert it into the armband.

I think that, overall, the Marware is the nicer case. But because it can't fit my phone without removing it from its case, I'm going to be sticking with the Belkin.

Thank you SOO Much! for posting this. I've been looking for the "best" armband case for my 3G for so long. I too have it in a Capsule Rebel and the thought of removing the case every time makes me want to cry. I might be buying a Capsule Neo soon but there shouldn't be a difference. For that, I am going to purchase the Belkin. You have saved me a tremendous amount of time and money, Thank you!

Steve iPhone 3G

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
I got a question... is it even out?! cuz the website says "Coming Soon" so I don't really understand. The original armband for the iPhone looks pretty nice, but I doubt it will fit with the case. It sounds like you have the new one for the 3G, Belkin Sports Armband with FastFit. Where did you purchase it? And are there also other good armband cases out there? How does the armband hold up when you're going pretty fast? I'm more of a fast pace track athlete. I'm a sprinter.

it would be nice if I can find the review on iLounge, but I'm having no luck.

danterner

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I got a question... is it even out?! cuz the website says "Coming Soon" so I don't really understand. The original armband for the iPhone looks pretty nice, but I doubt it will fit with the case. It sounds like you have the new one for the 3G, Belkin Sports Armband with FastFit. Where did you purchase it? And are there also other good armband cases out there? How does the armband hold up when you're going pretty fast? I'm more of a fast pace track athlete. I'm a sprinter.

it would be nice if I can find the review on iLounge, but I'm having no luck.

The Belkin I picked up is called the "Belkin Sport Armband Plus with FastFit." Looking at the packaging, I don't actually see a reference to it being a 3g version. Maybe I got an original iPhone version accidentally? In any event, it hasn't seemed to have mattered. I found it on the wall of my local Apple Store about a week ago. Just be forewarned; the fit really is tight when trying to shove the phone in while the Capsule is on, and it goes in easier than it comes out. I half-suspect one of these times I'm going to wind up tearing the Belkin as I try to insert or remove the phone...

tjhenn

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Found this forum while looking for a simple iPhone armband and thought I'd throw out what I found. I was in REI the other day and saw the Nike Running Arm Wallet/Phone Case. (Link to REI page)
It fits the phone, even using the Incase Slider case though does stick out of the top about a half inch. The biggest caveat: there is no cut-out for the display. If you're using the display a lot while using the armband, this may not be what your looking for. But I usually just hit play and am good for the rest of the run, so I didn't need easy access to the screen.

It's basic but does the job I needed it to at a very reasonable price.

Hopefully this will help somebody.

runnerdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
PDO Sporteer Armband - Best for Durability

I have tried several different armbands from the big name brands and most of them fell apart within 3 months. If you are a serious runner or biker, I would recommend the Sporteer from PDO. It's super comfortable and durable and the screen still works great inside the case.

I picked mine up on their website (http://www.pdostore.com). I've seen them in a few stores as well, but I don't think they are a very large company, so you might have to go online.

Hope this helps!

BrokeniPhone85

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
I just recently bought the Belkin Sport Armband Plus with FastFi and I absolutely love it! I have begun the Couch to 5K running program so I needed something to hold my iPhone well. It doesn't slide or move at all. I highly recommend.

runningagain

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Seems that other runners have posted reviews on the Belkin and not too favorable. Anyway, I'm using the Armpocket Sport 20 - it's great for the iPhone, fits with a case. It keeps my phone and keys dry - (no sweat going through), and it's very comfortable, plus it stays on my arm during the entire run (which is sometimes 3+ hours). http://www.armpocket.com if you want to check it out.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
Seems that other runners have posted reviews on the Belkin and not too favorable. Anyway, I'm using the Armpocket Sport 20 - it's great for the iPhone, fits with a case. It keeps my phone and keys dry - (no sweat going through), and it's very comfortable, plus it stays on my arm during the entire run (which is sometimes 3+ hours). http://www.armpocket.com if you want to check it out.

I have to agree, the i-20 is amazing. Thank's for the leading me to this product!

brishe

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I have to agree, the i-20 is amazing. Thank's for the leading me to this product!

I too appreciate the review for the armpocket i-20. Just ordered a pink one - can't wait to try it out! Thanks again - if not for the review, i would have never known about armpocket - looks like a great product!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
A question for those using the Armpocket Sport i-20.

It looks nice, but it seems a little big and bulky, and possible heavy. Do you find that to be the case, or does is it fairly unnoticeable one you're using it? Also, is the phone touch screen usable while in it, or do you have to pull it out to be able to use the phone at all?

hastyle

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
I got a Belkin, didnt even last 3 months, first the clear film glue started peeling off, then the armbang ring snapped. I need something durable, does anyone here have the armpocket for more then a year?

thanks.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Its not a case that goes on your arm but after trying out various arm ones and either I found them not to last or water building up in them or having a small backpack on my arm. I just went with a spibelt. Carries my iphone, enough gu for a marathon, my inhaler, and drivers license. For any runner that does distance running it might be something worth looking at. Sorry for the topic sidetrack but wanted others to know its out there if they are having no luck with a workable armband as I did.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Its not a case that goes on your arm but after trying out various arm ones and either I found them not to last or water building up in them or having a small backpack on my arm. I just went with a spibelt. Carries my iphone, enough gu for a marathon, my inhaler, and drivers license. For any runner that does distance running it might be something worth looking at. Sorry for the topic sidetrack but wanted others to know its out there if they are having no luck with a workable armband as I did.

I've thought about those and still may try one, but I'm passionate about the ArmPocket Sport20. It keeps my iPhone dry and has held up well over a year that included a marathon and all of the training that went with it.

cellbanddotcom

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
The CellBand is dirt cheap and can hold your iphone while running!

At http://cellband.com we sell wrist sweatbands that have been converted to hold cell phones and small devices (personal alarms for women). Not like those TOXIC CARRYING NEOPRENE Cell Phone Holders! Our holders are made of cotton and used by walkers, joggers, bicyclist, and people on the move or around the house. Best worn on the forearm! Never misplace your phone again. "The CellBand" can hold two devices and small items at one time with or without adhesive strips that is adhered to the back of a device. Also good for speakerphone use without holding the phone. Can hold iPhone/Droid/Galaxy 3 and note/! Put ID card money inside your protective case, then put phone in and put in holder. Machine Washable. Use for a gift. Only $6.39 for one or buy wholesale 10 for $2.00 each. Free shipping. Thanks
http://www.cellband.com/IMGP0135_-_Copy.JPG[/IMG]

Last edited:

Judo Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
WOW !!!

I about busted out laughing when I saw the video for the "CELL BAND". It looks like something off a saturday night live skit. Its just a 1980's work out wrist band with a piece of Velcro attached to it. For sure WONT be getting that, lol.

I believe the Arm pocket is the way to go, thanks for the info. :apple:

I still just don't understand why companies continue to make accessories for iphones that don't fit phones WITH cases. 80% of people have cases and the other 20% are idiots.

:D

hairpin

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
I'm switching from running with ipod with belt clip to iphone and can't find anything decent to hold it in. For the people using armbands, can you let me know why you like them? It seems like there are so many on the market. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems like they will slip and I won't be able to make adjustments to the device while it's on my arm. As well what do you do when it's raining out?

I'm considering just using running gear with form fitting pockets at waist to fit my phone in because the products just seem so horrible.

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
Anyone with the Armpocket i-10, how thick could a case be and still fit inside the pouch? Thanks for any feedback.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I was exactly looking for an armband like this, and I'll have to check out the arm pocket but; I hope its big enough to fit the iPhone 5 which is supposed to be slightly bigger about the larger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.