PDA

View Full Version : macs and collecting stuff


jefhatfield
May 25, 2002, 07:46 PM
i used to collect guitars, stamps, and coins...and girlfriends, but the latter was a dangerous hobby!

i liked old us stamps, the monotone variety, and i liked old silver coinage, especially half dollars for some strange reason

as for guitars, i only collected affordable stuff...same with girlfriends...

cleo
May 25, 2002, 07:50 PM
postcards (have about 700, all either from friends or places I've been)

stickers (yes, I am a girl :D)

Kahlua bottles (I'll have to unpack some of them and take pictures... I have a couple from the 30's that are shaped like Inca gods... pretty cool)

Holiday Barbie dolls (all about my grandmother... gah)

books and books and more books

King Cobra
May 25, 2002, 07:54 PM
I'm a numismatic (coin collector). I probably could sell all my old coin collectables for maybe $4000. The oldest one I have dates back to 1845, and I have a gold coin. My grandfather is a HUGE numismatics person. He must have $10000 of gold packed away somewhere.

Other than that, I have a few bins of Matchbox cars, old pocket-sized corvettes, and some Hot Wheels.
__________________

Fear the King.

3rdpath
May 25, 2002, 11:33 PM
i started collecting coins when i was a young. the cashier at the elementary school lunchroom used to save the silver coins for me...i don't recall how that started but i got a bunch that way. my best find was a 1909svdb penny.

then i started collecting matchbooks-my dad travelled so i got bazillions of them from around the world. unfortunately i lost them in a fire that almost burned the house down....it was like a scene out of apocalypse now.

thru the years i've collected mid-century furniture( charles eames rules!), tv lamps, guitars( danelectros were my favorite), watches and just about anything from the 40's and 50's.

its about all sold off now--i keep getting smaller houses so its gotta go...

of course, i'll never sell the beatle bobber-heads! woohoo

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2002, 11:45 PM
i used to collect hats... nothing too exciting.

i made an attempt to collect sports cards/autographs.

that pretty much failed though.

not much these days though...not much worth collecting to me.

mac15
May 26, 2002, 12:33 AM
I used to collect hats and that was it
If thi is counted I sorta collect bikes.....I have like 6 of em
most are falling a part

MacAztec
May 26, 2002, 12:56 AM
I collect old mac computers, and new ones.

I used to be into baseball cards, I probly have over 2500. I collect coins too.

SilvorX
May 26, 2002, 01:45 AM
woo hoo!!!!! :D lots of ya are fellow coin collectorz :D
i'm one of the top 10 coin teen numismatists in all of canada since i know ALOTTTTTTTTTTTTT about canadian coinz n such n i won awards for my articles on coins, even one from the bank of canada (central bank in canada that produces canada's paper money) n the regional director was telling me that he loved my article, n one of the main ppl for the royal canadian mint (they produce canada's coins and also dozens of other countries including australia (at times), nz (at times), and helped out on the US coin production) asked me for one of my newsletters. lol i havent had enough time for my coinz lately but i got meself 3 bux worth of branddddd new 50 cent coins (commemorative) for the 50th anniversary of the queens reign in the commonwealth at the local post office (n this is the first time a 50-cent coin has been widely available for circulation for YEARS!)

macfreek57
May 26, 2002, 02:54 AM
i am an official collector of crap

and i collect macs but i won't post a list as i believe the "mac collector" 's psychoness phase that was going around a while ago kind of burned people out on reading lists of macs.



oh guitars too (somewhat)

Beej
May 26, 2002, 06:39 AM
I collect two things:
1. Junk in my room
2. Piles of homework


I try to 'collect' money, but it always disappears...

britboy
May 26, 2002, 09:44 AM
I collect shot glasses. I'm not a heavey drinker (once or twice a month), but i like to collect one shot glass from every country i go to, with the name of that country and a famous national landmark etched on it. Getting quite large... :)

teabgs
May 26, 2002, 11:41 AM
I collect clocks (I have almost 100) none of them works though. Too much hassle with time changes and keeping them all juiced up. PLus the sound of 80 something clocks ticking doesnt make for good sleep. :rolleyes:

I also(kinda) collect production cels from cartoons/movies. I have 4. One signed by Chuck Jones from The Rescuers, one Signed by Jim Davis with Garfield and Ode, One from Top Cat signed by Hanna-Barbera with TC and the Cop, and one with Fred Flintstone and George Jetson from the Jetson's meet the Flintstones signed by Hanna-Barbera.

They're nice! :D

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 02:06 PM
just last year I decided to get back my collection of Garbage Pail Kids...remember those hideous looking things?!

damn...brought me back years of childhood though...he he he...:D

other than that...I still have my collection of baseball cards from when I was a kid....I have lots of older cards as well....my most cherished being a Mint Condition Mickey Mantle from 1961...;)

and I guess if I want to sound geeky....I collect mp3s....not a lot by today's standards....but I have somewhere around 1350...:D

Mr. Anderson
May 26, 2002, 02:25 PM
I collect souvenirs of a sort. I save foreign money, when I'm on a trip and also when I travel, even in the US, I take my GPS and mark the locations down. I've not done it yet, but I have plans of keeping an electronic log with all the locations on my computer and index that to the pictures. Big project, but it will be fun. I've got about 100 waypoints from travel and look forward to getting more every chance I get.

iGav
May 27, 2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
heh heh... Garbage Pail Kids...... God I remember those........ Blasted Billy and Blake Flake the hippy...... heh heh..... cheers for reminding me eye... had completely forgotten about those things....... all I remember was that the US was about 3-4 series ahead of the UK, so when friends used to go to the states, we'd give their parents money to bring back the latest series....... :D


ha ha ha!!! Glad I was able to put a smile on your mug iGAV...

I started off with going for it all...but then decided all I really cared for was the 1st & 2nd Series sets...

I'm about halfway complete on 1st...

the 2nd will take a bit of time still...

I am buying these a few at a time...and they are much more expensive now then when I was a kid...
:D

Macmaniac
May 28, 2002, 06:46 AM
I used to collect coins, now I collect American Flyer trains. They are over 50 years old and the company went out a business awhile ago. I love model railroading.

Macmaniac
May 28, 2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Beej
I collect two things:
1. Junk in my room
2. Piles of homework


I try to 'collect' money, but it always disappears...

Hey you sound just like me. I have so much junk under my bed!!!!

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 08:42 AM
iGAV....my sincere apologies...

somehow I hit the wrong button and edited your post when I was attempting to reply to it....

oh wow...I thought I was feeling quite awake and in check today...

damn... :rolleyes:

britboy
May 28, 2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
iGAV....my sincere apologies...

somehow I hit the wrong button and edited your post when I was attempting to reply to it....

oh wow...I thought I was feeling quite awake and in check today...

damn... :rolleyes:

Abuser of position! Strip him of his privileges!!!


Just kidding. :D

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 08:48 AM
Oh that's a good one. So you lost the content of the message? iGav post is gone with something you replaced? Ha, that's actually damn funny. You could go in and just change a few words and start all sorts of flame wars, and the original poster wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

"I never wrote that, I don't understand"

Don't ever go over to the dark side eye.....

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Oh that's a good one. So you lost the content of the message? iGav post is gone with something you replaced? Ha, that's actually damn funny. You could go in and just change a few words and start all sorts of flame wars, and the original poster wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

"I never wrote that, I don't understand"

Don't ever go over to the dark side eye.....

ha ha ha!!! :D

well I suppose there really is a first time for everything...yeah...I hit "edit" instead of "quote"....they are both next to each other...and I was only through half of my coffee... ;)

but imagine the flamewars....but remember...it'll always say "edited by "eyelikeart" or whoever it was....so there will be prints on the evidence...

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


ha ha ha!!! :D

well I suppose there really is a first time for everything...yeah...I hit "edit" instead of "quote"....they are both next to each other...and I was only through half of my coffee... ;)

but imagine the flamewars....but remember...it'll always say "edited by "eyelikeart" or whoever it was....so there will be prints on the evidence...

But could you log in as that person and change it in their name? Now that would truly be evil and you'd most likely get arn upset, dont' ever want to do that.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


But could you log in as that person and change it in their name? Now that would truly be evil and you'd most likely get arn upset, dont' ever want to do that.

ah...I am unable to get their info to log in as them...I'm not all that certain at least...but from my lurking around I haven't come across that feature... ;)

I think u are right...arn wouldn't be too pleased with that type of behavior...I'd likely lose my moderator abilities...

iGav
May 28, 2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
iGAV....my sincere apologies...

somehow I hit the wrong button and edited your post when I was attempting to reply to it....

oh wow...I thought I was feeling quite awake and in check today...

damn... :rolleyes:

I love it when eye violates me....... I feel so dirty and used now....... :D ;)

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


I love it when eye violates me....... I feel so dirty and used now....... :D ;)

ha ha ha....just be glad I hit the correct button this time! ;)

I was talking about a European tour next summer with a friend of mine just yesterday...

I may have to make it up to u with a bottle of green fairies if I can get there...

britboy
May 28, 2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


ha ha ha....just be glad I hit the correct button this time! ;)



Oh dear.... pressing all the right buttons? :p

iGav
May 28, 2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


ha ha ha....just be glad I hit the correct button this time! ;)

I was talking about a European tour next summer with a friend of mine just yesterday...

I may have to make it up to u with a bottle of green fairies if I can get there...

Absolutely mate........ that's a definite if you're ever in our neck of the woods...... I'll let the fairies know as well!! ;) :p

You ever been to Europe before??

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


Absolutely mate........ that's a definite if you're ever in our neck of the woods...... I'll let the fairies know as well!! ;) :p

You ever been to Europe before??

not yet....almost made it out last summer...but somethings came up...

it'll be my first time out there....I am really excited about the opportunity though....I want to spend at least 5-6 weeks abroad...

just as soon as I get over the idea of being over water in an airplane for 12 hours....I think I'll be ok...he he he ;)

actually...there's much more involved than that...but I'm sure u can figure it out...work...school....money...all that...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:11 AM
You like the thought of that now, but by then you'll probably have another girl friend, so that's something to take into account. You should go, there's so much to see and its great being someplace that's not America and has a history the goes back farther than the 1700s.

britboy
May 28, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


Absolutely mate........ that's a definite if you're ever in our neck of the woods...... I'll let the fairies know as well!! ;) :p


Hey, if it happens, let me know. It'd be cool to meet up. Perhaps and UK convention of the macrumors geek fest, with our head: Eye, presiding over events :p

iGav
May 28, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


not yet....almost made it out last summer...but somethings came up...

it'll be my first time out there....I am really excited about the opportunity though....I want to spend at least 5-6 weeks abroad...

just as soon as I get over the idea of being over water in an airplane for 12 hours....I think I'll be ok...he he he ;)

actually...there's much more involved than that...but I'm sure u can figure it out...work...school....money...all that...:rolleyes:

When I flew from LDN Heathrow to San-Francisco in 2000, it was my first ever plane trip....... and I did it on my own as well....... :p I actually love flying, I'm not a nervous flyer at all...... the amazing thing about flying from London to SF is that you fly over Iceland and Greenland, so you get to see all the glaciers and stuff....... plus if you take a midday flight from the uk, the whole flight is in the day, so you can see out the windows...... (I dislike night flights for the opposite... you can't see jack!!) As for flying from where you are, I guess it'd be straight accross the Atlantic....... makesure that planes got 4 engines now!!! :p

I know what you mean about money though, I only went out to the West coast for a little over 2 weeks and it cost me 3k ($4.5K) in total including flights..... but I had a blinding time all the same...... there's so many places I'd like to see in the world, it's just that I don't think I'll ever get to see them all...... oh well......

Me and the fairies will be waiting though when you eventually make it over!! let me know if you need a place to stay..... I'm sure I can help you out!!! :)

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 10:24 AM
it's not so much that I hate flying...I admit I've never really cared for it...but I also am smart enough to realize I'll never see anything interesting if I don't do it...so it's easy to weigh the differences in favor of doing it...

I also agree on the traveling out of the country part...and I may have someone in my life by that point...so u are right that I should take hold of the opportunity when I have it...I've decided to do that with a lot of aspects of my life these days...;)

iGav
May 28, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by britboy



Hey, if it happens, let me know. It'd be cool to meet up. Perhaps and UK convention of the macrumors geek fest, with our head: Eye, presiding over events :p

Absolutely........ there's quite a few brits on here........ we'll have to get ensign to come so we can corrupt his mind........... :p

Actually I remember being 15........ that could be the otherway around actually........ :p :p :p :D

iGav
May 28, 2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
it's not so much that I hate flying...I admit I've never really cared for it...but I also am smart enough to realize I'll never see anything interesting if I don't do it...so it's easy to weigh the differences in favor of doing it...


I thought I might have been a nervous flyer, but as soon as the plane took off, it was like an adventure, so I was too excited to worry...... then after 10 hours the novelty rubbed off alittle...... my best friend is flying out to Australia in October for 6 weeks, so I'm hoping to go and join her for a couple of those..... now that's a flight and a half.......

The one thing that is great with flying into London Heathrow, is that the planes circle right over the top of London, so you get to see everything..... all the sites.... plus to get a chance to see the true scale of Greater London..... it's like huge....... although You do get a similar effect from the London Eye as well!!!

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
The one thing that is great with flying into London Heathrow, is that the planes circle right over the top of London, so you get to see everything..... all the sites.... plus to get a chance to see the true scale of Greater London..... it's like huge....... although You do get a similar effect from the London Eye as well!!!

that's always cool when the plan circles around for a few...except if u are on the outside of it...then u get a nice view of some clouds...he he he ;)

SilvorX
May 28, 2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I'm a numismatic (coin collector). I probably could sell all my old coin collectables for maybe $4000. The oldest one I have dates back to 1845, and I have a gold coin. My grandfather is a HUGE numismatics person. He must have $10000 of gold packed away somewhere.

*drools* wow, i've seen $1000 gold coins b4 but never $10,000, must be really rare

did have luck n bought a brand new mint roll of canadian 25 cent pieces 2 years ago and turned out there were 20 (out of 40) coins with mint errors (each worth atleast $2 each), so basically made myself $40-$100 right there :D
n once did find a 1991 Canadian 25-cent coin, n theyre basically the hardest to find 25c coin since ww2 (worth $11 on its own i believe) n i lost it :(
the good thing bout limited edition coins are that if the product sells well, the price will go up n if u already bought one, your investment (in that coin product) will be increasing
i also received a free set of 2 canadian ten dollar notes (worth $50 for the set) from the bank of canada for winning some contest a year ago, i thought theydd be selling like hotcakes but doesnt seem like it :(

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 10:41 AM
I've always loved to fly and I usually have to fight over who gets the window seat when I go travelling with my wife or friends.

The worst flight I ever had was on a C130 on the way to Greenland. Noisy, uncomfortable, and slow. Took us 9 hours to get to Sondestrom. But when they landed us on the icesheet later that week and my boss was trying to tease me by telling me I had to jump out the back of the plane as it was moving over the snow so we wouldn't get stuck I almost jumped before I realized he was kidding. We had just dumped all the cargo that way and we slowing dow to unload the team. I think I surprised him.

britboy
May 28, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
it's not so much that I hate flying...I admit I've never really cared for it...but I also am smart enough to realize I'll never see anything interesting if I don't do it...so it's easy to weigh the differences in favor of doing it...


I absolutely love flying. Since the age of three i've not gone a single year without at least 3 or 4 flights! It's like a drug. If i don't do it, i feel strange, and get itchy feet. I usually try to get an aisle seat though; can't stand having to climb over people to get to the bathroom :)

iGav
May 28, 2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
But when they landed us on the icesheet later that week and my boss was trying to tease me by telling me I had to jump out the back of the plane as it was moving over the snow so we wouldn't get stuck I almost jumped before I realized he was kidding. We had just dumped all the cargo that way and we slowing dow to unload the team. I think I surprised him.

LOL..... :p :p :p you almost jumped......... did you get a promotion for that?? or at least more cash in your pay packet!!! :p



I usually try to get an aisle seat though; can't stand having to climb over people to get to the bathroom

Britboy, when I was flying out SF, I had a window seat, and right up until the plane began to move I thought I had the entire row of seats to myself...... then a child seat was placed nect to me, and subsequently a child was then placed in it...... from then on I was trapped...... I didn't get out of my seat for the next 11 hours.......... luckily I didn't need the loo....... :D

How I never got DVT is completely beyond me............

jefhatfield
May 28, 2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by britboy



I absolutely love flying. Since the age of three i've not gone a single year without at least 3 or 4 flights! It's like a drug. If i don't do it, i feel strange, and get itchy feet. I usually try to get an aisle seat though; can't stand having to climb over people to get to the bathroom :)

these days, i despise flying...it's just like a big overcrowded bus...and now with the security...that has to suck

but for me to get back to london to visit, flying is my only practical option...i would love to try the concorde, not for flying high or faster than sound, but for the simple concept of not having to put up with being canned up in a plance for 10.5 hours from san francisco

i know the flight from sf to australia (flying time) is the longest flight from northern california but i never understood why it took that long...by the way, how far is australia from the west coast of the usa?

and what is the best rate?

and is nicole kidman there? he he

i just saw moulin rouge and while i didn't like the movie, she was very beuatiful

britboy
May 28, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

i know the flight from sf to australia (flying time) is the longest flight from northern california but i never understood why it took that long...by the way, how far is australia from the west coast of the usa?

and what is the best rate?

and is nicole kidman there? he he


The distance between sf and sydney is 7408 miles (11922 km) (6438 nautical miles).

Expedia has tickets for $1,044.99.

Where is she at the moment? Who knows....

:p

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


LOL..... :p :p :p you almost jumped......... did you get a promotion for that?? or at least more cash in your pay packet!!! :p

Naw, I wasn't military, we were on a NASA funded science expedition. I was the grad student (lackey)

I did build a toilet, though. That got me more points than anything. No digging a hole and sqatting in 40 below with your butt swinging in the wind.....

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 11:24 AM
these days though...it's more of the hassle of going through security checks...being frisked...anal probes...

ok...maybe I was kidding about the anal probes part...but they might as well do it to u...

word of advice...be careful with Southwest...they give great service while in-flight....but their pre-flight security is by far the heaviest I've seen since Sept. 11...

I prefer Delta...quicker...easier...

I understand the need for airport security...don't get me wrong...but it's a real hassle when u get checked 3 times for a one-way flight from Oklahoma City to New Orleans.... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I understand the need for airport security...don't get me wrong...but it's a real hassle when u get checked 3 times for a one-way flight from Oklahoma City to New Orleans.... :rolleyes:

Please, look at the alternative. What's a few hours when it could save your life. I'm all for security, I just hope there is enough to prevent things like 9/11 from ever happening again.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Please, look at the alternative. What's a few hours when it could save your life. I'm all for security, I just hope there is enough to prevent things like 9/11 from ever happening again.

don't get me wrong....I am all for safety as well...

but I did find it quite ridiculous that the only bag I had on me...which I was checking in...was subject to random search...being completely unpacked and everything I had scrutinized...

then through the metal detectors being summoned to frisking...including my shoes & such...no problem...

but when I'm waiting at the gate to board....I just so happen to hold one of the special #'s that rewards me with another check...the same one as at the metal detector...I get to spend 25 mins with a security personell...nearly get stripsearched...

again...I am for security...but damn...most terrorists aren't going to New Orleans via Oklahoma! :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 12:08 PM
Ouch, you must just happen to be the profile of the day to get hit that many times. Sorry to here that and I understand you're frustration.

The only thing is its not going to get any better anytime soon, which is a shame. And now all this talk of another attack that *could* happen any time soon, it just sucks.

Hemingray
May 28, 2002, 12:13 PM
Okay, you guys want a weird collecting hobby? How about insulators! That's where I got my user name "Hemingray". Check out my web site, www.hemingray.info and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, www.insulators.com is an excellent resource on what insulators are, why they're collectible, etc. etc. :)

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ouch, you must just happen to be the profile of the day to get hit that many times. Sorry to here that and I understand you're frustration.

The only thing is its not going to get any better anytime soon, which is a shame. And now all this talk of another attack that *could* happen any time soon, it just sucks.

yeah....as u can see from my pic in the thread from last week....I could possibly match a profile for a terrorist... :rolleyes:

actually...I don't really think so...but whatever...

I don't know if u guys have seen any news stories...but the airport here in New Orleans must have the worst security in the nation...a women was shot there last week...she died on Sunday... :(

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't know if u guys have seen any news stories...but the airport here in New Orleans must have the worst security in the nation...a women was shot there last week...she died on Sunday... :(

Why, what did she do to get shot?

I've had to deal with airport security. Through work I had to go through the whole security crap for one of the local airports because we were doing work in a hangar there. Its worse than waiting around in the DMV.

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Why, what did she do to get shot?

I've had to deal with airport security. Through work I had to go through the whole security crap for one of the local airports because we were doing work in a hangar there. Its worse than waiting around in the DMV.

from what I heard...the guy got pissed off because someone inside had made fun of him?

so he brings a shotgun in the joint...shoots some woman who's in line...

pathetic...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


from what I heard...the guy got pissed off because someone inside had made fun of him?

so he brings a shotgun in the joint...shoots some woman who's in line...


He had a shotgun in the airport? Was this a security guard who did the shooting or a passenger? Damn, now that is nuts.....

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


He had a shotgun in the airport? Was this a security guard who did the shooting or a passenger? Damn, now that is nuts.....

he looked like a bum almost...white trash...

anyway...according to the rep. who commented for the airport...it was a security breach that could have happened anywhere...

whatever... :rolleyes: