PDA

View Full Version : Best Option for Integrating Macs with Active Directory

Aperture
Aug 29, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm looking into the best way to integrate a bunch of Macs into Active Directory for authentication/etc and am a bit confused. I understand that you have the option of using a network home folder (which mounts the network share as your home folder) or simply mounting the network home (so essentially a network drive?) and store preferences locally. I also understand that if you use a network home folder, it can cause problems when a bunch of computers try to cache data to the home folder/server at the same time.

Now, let me give you a run down of how it is currently working in Windows. After the PC is bound to AD, all means for saving data locally is disabled, requiring all data to be saved to a private network drive (which automatically mounts at login). I assume the ability to save data locally is a policy in AD... Will these policies by subscribed to by OS X?

The AD domain will always be available so there is no need to make a portable home folder. Ideally, all of the data would be stored on the server (none locally), and all data would be accessible from any machine that the user is logged into. What is the best option for setting up Macs in AD to make it as close to the Windows experience as possible?

Sorry for my inexperience. Thanks in advance, though.

iphonematt
Sep 1, 2008, 02:34 PM
I may not be understanding what your needs are, but my best guess is you would use directory utility and bind it to the active directory and then used the advanced options once bound to tell it which directories to mount etc.