Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flahiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
I am currently a PC user wanting to switch. I will soon be buying a laptop (never going back to a desktop fulltime).

I am currently considering the 14" ibook 933 or 1G. I would like a 15PB, but it is alot more $$. Can someone tell me if you can get the bluetooth installed internally in an ibook or is it a USB only add in. Also do you need to buy the apple care at the time of purchase?

And ibook users, am I gonna hate not spending the extra $ for the PB?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i think iBook BT must be ordered as BTO at the time of purchase to be internal. otherwise, you will need to use external BT dongle.

applecare can be purchased up to a year later from your original date of purchase. the coverage is three years from the original purchase date, not the registration date.

last (and popular) suggestion: 14" iBook's display is 1024 x 768. it's a physically bigger display than the 12" (iBook or PB) but the resolution is the same. 15" PB has more pixels.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
just for your info:

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

is the official apple's BT page, but it's outdated. this page is for jaguar and back in the day 15" PB was a Ti and iBook was G3.

right now, if you order iBook with BTO BT module, you get it built in, as this page seems to imply:

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

any G4 iBook users out there who ordered BTO BT?

flahiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Ok,

Are there any limitations or gotchas to the ibook?

Will it work with an external DVD Burner?

OSX questions, if I burn data CDs will they open in windoze? What about those USB memory sticks?

FWIW, I have been using 1024x768 even with a 17" CRT.

Can the ibook drive a CRT or external LCD to higher than 1024x768? Can it use the 2 monitors separately?

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Originally posted by flahiker
Ok,

OSX questions, if I burn data CDs will they open in windoze? What about those USB memory sticks?

Windows can read CDs if you burn in the appropriate format (choose the option while burning).

USB memory sticks work seamlessly with either operating system.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by flahiker
Ok,

Are there any limitations or gotchas to the ibook?

Will it work with an external DVD Burner?

FWIW, I have been using 1024x768 even with a 17" CRT.

Can the ibook drive a CRT or external LCD to higher than 1024x768? Can it use the 2 monitors separately?

external DVD burners can be used. but iDVD will not work with it. you will need to use DVD burning software bundled with the burner itself.

Data CDs burned in OS X will open fine in Windows. (but you will see all the hidden files under Windows.)

USB memory sticks work fine.

iBook can only mirror to ext. display without a hack.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have every last sha-bang in my 12" iBook G4. Bluetooth is indeed internal. It can only be put in when you order it online from Apple. I don't use it at all (I used it once to make sure it functioned with a friends HP palm thing-a-ma-jig since I'd hate to find it broken when I get a BT something in 2 years or so). But it just felt like something I'd rather have internally than externally. Hopefull a cheapish BT 2 button + scroll wheel optical mouse will come out... that's really what I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.