PDA

View Full Version : Hypercard on a G4?

ArtMan617
May 25, 2002, 10:40 PM
Dear all,
I'm interested in running incredibly old Hypercard games (namely Cosmic Osmo and The Manhole) on my G4. What is the best way to do this? Should I just get an emulator? If so, which?

-ArtMan617

Hemingray
May 25, 2002, 11:18 PM
Depending on how far back you want to go with HyperCard, I would consider vMac, a Mac Plus emulator:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4782&db=mac

You'll need a Mac Plus ROM and a system to run it, but all those can be found on the web if you search for it. (Just to be legal, I need to inform you that you have to own a Mac Plus in order to use the ROM, yadda yadda yadda :D )

Have fun!

topicolo
Jun 6, 2002, 05:57 PM
Or you can use Virtual PC to emulate basilisk II, which is a free mac emulator for pcs that can run most 68k software (in color too!).

macktheknife
Jun 6, 2002, 06:34 PM
What exactly is HyperCard? I remember my Dad using it back in the 80s and early 90s, but I can't remember what the program exactly did. I do remember that--as the name implied--it was a program using a stack of card to organize information or even presentation. Was it something like a PowerPoint? That's what it sounds like looking at this page:

http://www.apple.com/hypercard/

topicolo
Jun 6, 2002, 06:39 PM
think of hypercard as some distant creature that evolved parallel to macromedia's director, eventually going extinct...

Basically, hypercard is an authoring system that was based on the metaphor of using cards as pages and you could write little programs using "hyperscript," which is sorta like director's lingo. Talking about this brings back fond memories of my friend and I playing with that program practically a decade ago on our Mac Classics and Mac LC IIs. *wistful sigh*

Hemingray
Jun 6, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by macktheknife
http://www.apple.com/hypercard/

Whoa, talk about a step back in time! :)

Get this, my dad still uses a HyperCard stack as his rolodex at the office... on a rev.B bondi iMac running OS 9.1. :D I can't get him to switch to FileMaker... oh well! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Durandal7
Jun 10, 2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray

Whoa, talk about a step back in time! :)

It's Quicktime 3 savvy!

TEG
Jun 10, 2002, 10:47 PM
Here's a bright Idea,
Download Hypercard Player 2.4.1 from Apple or another site... Its freeware, and works wonders on a G4. I Use the full version, and I love running it on my G4 with OS X

macktheknife
Jun 11, 2002, 12:34 AM
Is HyperCard compatible with OS X? I mean, can it run without Classic? It doesn't look like it, but it's worth asking.

Nipsy
Jun 11, 2002, 04:10 AM
With Apple still selling it as supported software, one would think it is either carbon, or planned to go carbon. I guess the real question is will current Hypercard run the ancient games?

Durandal7
Jun 11, 2002, 06:26 PM
Hypercard is not OS X compatible and I dobut it ever will be.

TEG
Jun 12, 2002, 01:12 AM
From what I have heard, it may be carboinzed soon. But whats so bad about running it in classic? I love running things in classic... I get the stability of OSX but the use of OS9.

firewire2001
Jun 13, 2002, 08:34 PM
man.. they still keep that site up, and they still sell that piece of software at the apple store.. man, that seems a little weird, maybe theyre gonna come out with a new type of hypercard thing for os x...

jus an idea... does apple keep up sites of any other older programs?

macktheknife
Jun 13, 2002, 11:20 PM
So I guess we can run HyperCard through Classic? If that's the case, I'm going to get a copy just to play around.