PDA

View Full Version : I do have a G5 Powerbook now (sort of)... yes I do!

California
Aug 31, 2008, 03:35 AM
I was replying to another thread about the guy who did not know if he should keep the smallest, best laptop Apple ever made (12" powerbook... he had a 867 slowest, I have a 1.5ghz fastest) or not and thought I should post it...

... as I do now have a G5 Powerbook! When it is a desktop, that is.

I just solved my being in love with my slower Powerbook 12" 1.5ghz
(yours is even slower, sorry) by buying a Powermac G5 and an Apple Display.

I've been target mode booting the 250gb hard drive in my Powerbook (you should get one for you 867mhz) into the G5 and using it with the Apple Cinema Display and Leopard for backups.

So basically, I am running a G5 Powerbook (YES THIS IS THE breakthrough) and when I need the best smallest laptop Apple ever made to go on the go, I'm ready.

I'm a PPC geek, tho. And you know what i would do if i were you, actually? Sell it and get a used 1.5ghz 12" powerbook like mine. When you are on the go, it's got more maxed memory and more CPU.

So when I am in target mode with the Powerbook, I get the almost the full advantage of running the Powerbook hard drive with a G5 processor. Best of both worlds for PPC geeks.

Leopard is great on the 12" powerbook 1.5ghz with maxed memory and maxed 250gb hard drive and Dashboard disabled.

Schtumple
Aug 31, 2008, 04:02 AM
Ermm, most misleading thread title ever?

It could be a contender...

California
Aug 31, 2008, 04:49 AM
I'm happy with my set-up...

colonels1020
Aug 31, 2008, 04:55 AM
I want a G5 PowerBook... :(

Henri Gaudier
Aug 31, 2008, 05:18 AM
The lamest, most inane thread I've ever read. Having controlled the need to swear furiously .... does 1.67 GHz ring any bells for fastest?

California
Aug 31, 2008, 06:09 AM
The lamest, most inane thread I've ever read. Having controlled the need to swear furiously .... does 1.67 GHz ring any bells for fastest?

I almost just bought one. Or I could have plunked down 400 bucks to have a 1.67 bumped to 2.0 by Daystar. Or I could plunk down even more to get my 1.5ghz powerbook sped up to 2.0ghz

Swear away. If you can't take a joke, I'm happy with my 23" ACD and Powermac G5 using my 12" Powerbook's hard drive.

As long as it is on my desk, it is a G5 Powerbook for me!

IT IS A JOKE PEOPLE BECAUSE I USE MY 12" PB WITH MY MONITOR ALL THE TIME! It is just nice to have a G5 CPU and five gigs of ram running it.

andiwm2003
Aug 31, 2008, 06:20 AM

second that. there are probably 100 000 people out there using their notebooks in target disk mode with a desktop mac. or simply use cronosync. so lame it's not even funny anymore.

Henri Gaudier
Aug 31, 2008, 06:20 AM
Humour? :p

California
Aug 31, 2008, 06:29 AM
second that. there are probably 100 000 people out there using their notebooks in target disk mode with a desktop mac. or simply use cronosync. so lame it's not even funny anymore.

I actually posted it to see if anyone was out there who could tell me if I was getting the full benefit through 400 Firewire of the Powermac or whatever problems might arise with target disk mode.

I wasn't aware that a lot of people were target disking their lappies all the time, and i've been on MR for four years.

I am just one happy gal to have figured it out. I wanted more speed on Leopard with the powerbook.

dukebound85
Aug 31, 2008, 06:38 AM
I actually posted it to see if anyone was out there who could tell me if I was getting the full benefit through 400 Firewire of the Powermac or whatever problems might arise with target disk mode.

I wasn't aware that a lot of people were target disking their lappies all the time, and i've been on MR for four years.

I am just one happy gal to have figured it out. I wanted more speed on Leopard with the powerbook.

just give in to intel already! once you do you will be like why did i ever love ppc so much haha

California
Aug 31, 2008, 06:52 AM
just give in to intel already! once you do you will be like why did i ever love ppc so much haha

Intel has cooties for me. Still not sure why.

raymondu999
Aug 31, 2008, 07:22 AM
errm... you can only bump the proc to 1.67, from 1.5. for 15/17 inchers, they made it 2GHz. and you had to upgrade 1.5 to 1.67 for 12 inch, and 1.67 to 2 for 15/17

California
Aug 31, 2008, 08:00 AM
errm... you can only bump the proc to 1.67, from 1.5. for 15/17 inchers, they made it 2GHz. and you had to upgrade 1.5 to 1.67 for 12 inch, and 1.67 to 2 for 15/17

I think you are right. and they wanted $699 for that 12" bump.

If I keep it through next August when my Applecare runs out, maybe.

Firefly2002
Aug 31, 2008, 10:21 AM
I had.... a lot of trouble following the opening post.

In fact, I'm still not sure I understood what he was trying to say.

What the hell?

Tallest Skil
Aug 31, 2008, 10:25 AM

What the hell?

He uses his G4 PowerBook in FireWire Target Disk Mode when he's at home and plugged in to his G5 tower.

So he pretty much doesn't actually have a G5 laptop.

richard.mac
Aug 31, 2008, 10:30 AM
so youre using your PowerBook's hard drive (thats it) with your PowerMac's CPU, mobo, graphics card and display without the mobility and your calling it a PowerBook G5? :o:eek::D

Firefly2002
Aug 31, 2008, 10:50 AM
He uses his G4 PowerBook in FireWire Target Disk Mode when he's at home and plugged in to his G5 tower.

So he pretty much doesn't actually have a G5 laptop.

Hm. Yeah I guess. My problems with comprehension stemmed from his... not really making any sense. :)

alphaod
Aug 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
Wasteland?

David G.
Aug 31, 2008, 11:22 AM
Until there is a G5 inside your PowerBook it will remain as a G4 PowerBook. Sorry.

California
Aug 31, 2008, 01:13 PM

What the hell?

She was trying to say that she loves getting double time out her laptop when it is on her desk as a G5 and then in the very infrequent times I use it as a portable... it goes back to its original specs.

She did not know that there were so many people double timing their laptops in target disc mode on their desks as she is doing.

And she is thrilled to have a G5 CPU on her desk now.

I think that I am so happy with the set up because I've had other back up computers, the last PPC Mac Mini 1.5ghz and a souped up Cube, and I would not do the target disc with my laptop. It gets confusing, for me at least, to have two current computers. Though the idea of target disc mode is really old, doing it and NOT using the G5 hard drive has been an organizing thing for me as well as a fake speed bump.

With my email set up, this was a disaster last year when I'd use the Mini and the Powerbook at different times. AT&T somehow helped me lose four years worth of email that I had backed up to the Powerbook's hard drive and not fully on the Mini's.

I know it sounds so stupid, but this works for me and is fun to have a G5's power as I have only had a slew of G4's some G3's some ancient PB's before that.

Eddyisgreat
Aug 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
She was trying to say that she loves getting double time out her laptop when it is on her desk as a G5 and then in the very infrequent times I use it as a portable... it goes back to its original specs.

She did not know that there were so many people double timing their laptops in target disc mode on their desks as she is doing.

And she is thrilled to have a G5 CPU on her desk now.

I think that I am so happy with the set up because I've had other back up computers, the last PPC Mac Mini 1.5ghz and a souped up Cube, and I would not do the target disc with my laptop. It gets confusing, for me at least, to have two current computers. Though the idea of target disc mode is really old, doing it and NOT using the G5 hard drive has been an organizing thing for me as well as a fake speed bump.

With my email set up, this was a disaster last year when I'd use the Mini and the Powerbook at different times. AT&T somehow helped me lose four years worth of email that I had backed up to the Powerbook's hard drive and not fully on the Mini's.

I know it sounds so stupid, but this works for me and is fun to have a G5's power as I have only had a slew of G4's some G3's some ancient PB's before that.

Thats cool, but that doesn't hold a candle to my 2.5 GHz Penryn 12" Macbook Pro StAx edition. I need the canned air because the fans on both machines whirl up so quick it picks up dust from neighboring deserts.

California
Aug 31, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thats cool, but that doesn't hold a candle to my 2.5 GHz Penryn 12" Macbook Pro StAx edition. I need the canned air because the fans on both machines whirl up so quick it picks up dust from neighboring deserts.

Very cool. I'm a PPC geek, tho.

Dustman
Aug 31, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm still waiting for the Powerbook G5 that Steve said was going to be available :(

In other news...
Powermac G5s to reach 3 Ghz by next year?! :eek:

bartzilla
Aug 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
Very cool. I'm a PPC geek, tho.

What does that even mean?
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you're happy and I'm not going to try and tell you what you should and shouldn't do, or what computers you should or shouldn't own. But the current Core 2 series of processors are a big step forwards from anything that anyone had round about the time the G4 was king of Apple's hill.

Firefly2002
Aug 31, 2008, 03:39 PM
What does that even mean?
...But the current Core 2 series of processors are a big step forwards from anything that anyone had round about the time the G4 was king of Apple's hill.

The G4 hasn't been King of Apple's Hill since..... 2002. And even then it was long in the tooth and an embarrassment.

Don't get me wrong, I like PPCs, and always will. But still, it would have been a little more exciting if you'd had a G5 in a PowerBook case =-p

iknowyourider
Aug 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think it's cool. Cali, Happiness is one thing that is not completely tolerated here on this forum.:D

Schtumple
Aug 31, 2008, 04:14 PM
Ok, so after reading all the negative posts I do feel slightly guilty for being a bit mean...

Do you still use your PB on the go alot?

On a completely unrelated note, I'd love to see someone fit a iMac G5 mobo into a PB 17" not possible I know, but then that really would be a PB G5