Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
I'm an iPod lover but I just saw this on Thurott's site. I like the MCE interface and this is small enough. With screen protection I could go for this big time. If it debuts under $400 I own it.

Attachments

• ces2004_pmc_09 (small).jpg
    ces2004_pmc_09 (small).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 323

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i know this is a bit of nitpicking, but anything that's substantially more than a music player at a cost of added size, cost or reduced battery life than the ipod would have to open up its own niche market instead of being an ipod "challenger."

if this thing is $400, battery life of ~8 hours and had the capacity of 20 to 40 GB, then we have a challenger. but if this thing is $600 with a life of a few hours, it will not hit the same music fan market as the iPod - it will have to open up its own market of compact video player fans. (a market jobs seems to be quite skeptical of...)

so we'll see. it does look really cool, though.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there's no way that will be less than $400. if it is, it will have pitiful storage. either way, it will probably have horrible battery life.

so yeah, not really iPod competitor. for a video player, it appears to have serious potential...

paul

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by paulwhannel
there's no way that will be less than $400. if it is, it will have pitiful storage. either way, it will probably have horrible battery life.

so yeah, not really iPod competitor. for a video player, it appears to have serious potential...

paul

It's a portable XP Media Center. Audio, Video, and Pictures.

All anyone has so far on specs and battery are: Expect prices in the $400 to $600 range, 20GB to 40GB hard disks, and 3 hours of battery life when watching video (the battery life jumps to 12 hours when listening to audio).

This was clipped by Thurott fro C|net.

I might stretch $400 something, but more than that and I'll pass.

DarkSonicYouth5

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
It's a portable media center dealie. If you want one of those things then you're gonna need a computer running XP Media Center.(not somethin that I want to do) I saw something like this from Creative today on CNet. Bill Gates is rather full of himself in the video I saw from CES. DO all CEO's have reality distortion fields or is it just Steve and Bill?

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by DarkSonicYouth5
XP Media Center.

You won't need a computer running Media Center, that would be certain death, but you will need a computer to load it, though I believe some will come with an SD slot or memory stick slot.

It will be interesting to see how well they play with Macs given how well iPod+iTunes now plays with XP.

It will also be interesting to see Apples media device, without a doubt they have one and they won't be able to keep it under wraps for very long.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by MorganX
This was clipped by Thurott fro C|net.

well, even if the news is originally from C|net, because it's got Thurott name on it, i won't give any of the listed specs any credit. (no, sorry, i didn't read the article, nor do i really care.) that man is so anti-mac/pro-windows that i find it amazing he's paid to write his opinions...

we'll see when it comes out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.