PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh 128k retro model with G5

denjeff
Jan 14, 2004, 04:22 PM
You know what would really be the coolest thing to do for the 20th anniversary? A G5 in a box that looks like the 128k... Limited, very expensive edition ofcourse.

My credit-card will loose money, no matter what it costs... :)

g30ffr3y
Jan 14, 2004, 04:44 PM
that would be a really cool collectors item... just not on my credit card...

tpjunkie
Jan 14, 2004, 05:00 PM
I actually thought of that too, the only thing is that the 9 inch screen would be a bit inadequate, unless it was used for something other than a monitor...

denjeff
Jan 14, 2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by tpjunkie
I actually thought of that too, the only thing is that the 9 inch screen would be a bit inadequate, unless it was used for something other than a monitor...

like what? a hologram??? wonder if panther could handle that :D

Kingsnapped
Jan 14, 2004, 05:11 PM
The screen might not be functional. Or if it were, it could just display things like time, operating temp. etc. that would be pretty cool.

etoiles
Jan 14, 2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
The screen might not be functional. Or if it were, it could just display things like time, operating temp. etc. that would be pretty cool.

yeah, like those PC mods where they put on LCD screens on the cases... or maybe it would just run system 6 or earlier, just for fun. You could use mac paint to write 'hello'....

wdlove
Jan 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
I would like to see a Mac 128k model with G5 inside. Somewhere I saw a prototype. It had the look of the original Mac, that was updated to be the size of the eMac. That would be a cool 20th Mac, that is if they don't go with the Cube. Maybe they will just go wild and make both for nostalgia sake. :cool:

cr2sh
Jan 14, 2004, 09:23 PM
The 20th anniversary apple cost $7500... the 20th anniversary mac hopefully will cost the same and leave us all with the same stunning amazement. A 128k mac g5, will not do that. :)

MoparShaha
Jan 14, 2004, 09:59 PM
I think that would be very cool. I remember reading awhile back that the original classic Macs (128's, 512's, SE's...) are very popular in Japan because of the small size. In fact, there are some places that do conversions, putting the innards of cubes and iMacs into SE cases. I've even see pictures of SE's running OS X. Pretty interesting stuff.

Anyone care to do a Photoshop rendition?

Phil Of Mac
Jan 14, 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
The 20th anniversary apple cost $7500

Originally it cost $9999 and included delivery by limosuine and installation by a man wearing a tuxedo.

krimson
Jan 15, 2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by tpjunkie

how bout the 9" LCD to monitor functions.. temps, have a clock, etc.. and then have a projector instead of a monitor :)

Sabbath
Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 AM
Que uber crazy suggestions...

I just hope they put the price really really high so I cant possibly afford one no matter how i distort my finances. :rolleyes:

yamabushi
Jan 15, 2004, 11:40 AM
Wow. I was just kidding when I mentioned this in another thread. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=653121#post653121)
Actually this sounds like more of a crazy mod you might find at a shop in Akihabara than a real product release from Apple.

denjeff
Jan 15, 2004, 12:40 PM
what do you think of this:

a mini lcd screen that fits were the screen must be... and because of the space you win behind the screen, you can mount a projector in the case. that way you could have a real big screen. :) and it is expensive, so it is a collector's item :D

themadchemist
Jan 15, 2004, 01:27 PM
Don't go posting threads here when your 128k G5 bursts into flames.

cr2sh
Jan 15, 2004, 03:56 PM
128k... it better have more like 8388608k. :)

I knew the price was $9999 originally and it was dropped.. is the limo and tux thing true?

It'd be great it the 20th anniversary mac was a laptop.. to coincide with the end of the year of the laptop. At least then, there's no way I could justify buying another new powerbook.. in less than a year.

Sabbath
Jan 15, 2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
It'd be great it the 20th anniversary mac was a laptop.. to coincide with the end of the year of the laptop. At least then, there's no way I could justify buying another new powerbook.. in less than a year.

Haha that just got me thinking, imagine a G5 20" laptop! Now that would make a 20th anniversary of mac

512ke
Jan 15, 2004, 04:05 PM
For no particular reason whatsoever, I have my old working 512Ke Macintosh next to my 17" iMac. They are both great design objects. People who don't know Macs still see the 512Ke and think it's some new model machine!