Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Hi,

My mom wants a computer (she is 66). She wants to be able to email and do her store's payroll and accounting on the machine. I want her to have a mac, but she won't spend the money for a new one.

What are a couple of options of used/refurbished macs that would be able to do light internet cruising, downloading pics, email and an accounting program... and with only a phone line as internet access.

Thanks for any advice!
comil:eek:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
First things first, make sure her payroll program will run on a Mac.

If an external monitor is available I would say go for a nice, used Mac mini. If an external monitor isn't available, and she doesn't want to buy one then just find a used iMac.

You can probably find older iMacs or minis on Craig's List, or if you're absolutely desperate... ebay.

Any machine from the last three or four years would do just fine, really. She doesn't need Leopard, so anything with Tiger and you're golden.

Good luck!

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I would suggest looking for a used imac G4 - new enough to run most things, but old enough to not cost too much (without knowing your budget its hard to make a reccomendation).

If its a laptop you want then the G4 is still the one to look for (I personally wouldnt look to the G3 purley in the interests of having this machine last her a while).

comil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks for the quick response!

My mom doesn't yet have an accounting program. They have always done the books...well... in a book. Do you have any advice?

I have already cruised around reading about programs, but there are too many positive and negative comments about each one. My parents have a "dime store" with 5 employees. I can't imagine it would take a super fancy program to manage this?.?.

And, nope, she doesn't have a monitor. I'll check out Craig's list. I am afraid to buy a computer on Ebay...

Thanks again!
comil

Hi,

I was thinking about an imac g4... cause they are cute. Thanks for the advice.

She is not going to want to spend more than a few hundred dollars... Well actually I'll spend it... she'll be mad about the price... then she'll pay me back. I just want to make sure it behaves itself because she has NO COMPUTER EXPERIENCE, and will not know how to navigate around to solve any sort of problem (like a lock-up).

Thanks for your quick response.
comil

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
If that's all your mom plans to do, you could opt for the asus eee pc and run ubuntu instead. For accounting you could then try GNUCash (free) - also runs on Mac OSX according to the site.

comil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Wow!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Embarrassingly enough, I didn't even know the computer existed, much less that linux was... making new things. I guess I'm not much more computer-savvy than my mom.

comil

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
an EEE is a good idea, but maybe abit small, at 66 i wont want to be looking at a 7" Screen, or 9" or whatever size EEE you get.

A 15" iMac would be good, but generally the bigger everything appears the better. :p

comil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
eee

I agree. The eee screen is too small.

My 66 year old mom is going to need a 15 or 17 inch screen I think. I also think she'll need a full size keyboard.

Is the emac good?

Thanks,
comil

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
i thought the emac was good when i used it. it does take up a lot of space though. i would agree with other posters that a g4 desktop would work out well for your mama.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.