PDA

View Full Version : I am here because...

Amadeus
May 26, 2002, 02:04 AM
Thanks to everyone to contributed to my last thread.

I feel like we achieved something important there. Not only because it stayed on topic, but because it made everyone think about the nature of their community.

The reason I look at this forum is because I am interested in you all.. more specifically, why do you post here?

I am here because I:

1. Am anxious. Despite Apple's recent successes with the new iMac, and (somewhat less so..) OS X, I live in fear. I fear that capitalism will fail me...that the majority of consumers will never experience the joy of owning a Macintosh. Because of that fear, I enjoy the community support here.

2. Enjoy reading news of Apple's incredible efforts to keep up with (and hopefully overtake) the PC world.

3. Am interested in people who choose to be different... and the stories behind their choice.

More on #3 later.. if there is any interest. :)

Amadeus

SilvorX
May 26, 2002, 02:56 AM
1) i'm interested in macs (although i own a pc)
2) im hoping to buy a mac at the end of summer
3) lots of the users are very knowledgable about macs so i stay on the threads longer than i thought
4) good environment to talk about macs (and wont get flamed most of the time for talking bout macs unless u mention m$)

Beej
May 26, 2002, 06:37 AM
I am here for one reason, and one reason alone:

Mac Rumors is more fun than the piles of homework I should be doing.

iapple
May 26, 2002, 06:40 AM
I am here, for mainly the same reason as the guy above, but I've been a mac user "forever" except at school.

Someone will probably call me an idiot, but when our school was running DOS, I thought DOS was more advanced than OS 7! This is when i was in 2nd grade. I thought it was cool that you had to type in code... what a bloody fool I was.. (and i realized i could do nothing with it!) we had this wierd semi GUI with a black screen, and you pressed arrows to change between certain options...

Then I began to realize how many problems the WIndows 9x systems had at our school, and I began to respect my mac. We got a performa 5320 after the color classic, then PowerMac 4400/200, then used that forever until I finally got an iBook 500 (I saved up). Now I use PB G4 667 combo.

I only found this site a few months ago, and it was somehow more "interesting than other forums". I liked the people here, and the info was not TOO geeky, sometimes funny, and the front page is concise, and easy to read and follow. (good job to the administrators, definitely arn!!:) :) )

I'm interested in audio and video, and it's nice to be able to ask questions and recieve answers from capable people, and also just to have a chat about apple.

Apple is amazing, because it has less than a hundreth of the man power at MS, yet it manages to innovate with LESS BUDGET (big time!!), but smart people like SJ, who think different.

mmmdreg
May 26, 2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Beej
I am here for one reason, and one reason alone:

definitely...its good to have one point of interest in a otherwise boring day..

King Cobra
May 26, 2002, 08:29 AM
Homework for me, however, comes first. I am in two advanced courses, so you can bet I get a lot of homework.

When I am not doing homework or anything else that is time consuming I am usually on the forums. I couldn't find anywhere else to post, and I found the discussions here (since when I first saw it in 2001) rather intelligent. So I decided I wat to be a part of it.

Fear the King.

Mr. Anderson
May 26, 2002, 01:54 PM
I came here originally because I wanted to know more about what was going on with Macs and Apple. Now I'm stuck here by its large gravity field and it won't let me go. It's too much fun and interesting to get away.

What can you do?

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 02:10 PM
I first came to macrumors around MWSF 2001...was trying to find out info on new PowerBooks...

then I stuck around...looking every now & then for anything interesting...

then rumors started flying about right before we got the iPod...I was highly interested for that as well...

then I just sort of got bitten...

now I come here to plan Geek Fest New Orleans with B2TM...laugh at mischief...give mac15 ***** for changing his avatar every week...ha ha ha!! :D

the site has turned into so much more than just "rumors"...no matter how much I may b*tch about Apple PDAs...I feel like I have friends here...sort of like Cheers...:D

Beej
May 26, 2002, 05:55 PM
Ahem. My above post was supposed to be funny... I guess not...

OK, I'm here because it's fun. Is that better? :)

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Beej

if it makes u feel any better...I often find myself on here when I'm avoiding the piles of work I have at work...:rolleyes:

ok....that didn't come across as funny either...

sorry....I tried...he he he;)

britboy
May 26, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

Where's mischief? I need a spare pie!!! :D

I started coming here because appleinsider died for a while, and i needed somewhere to keep up on rumors. After searching for a while, i hit upon this site. Lurked for a few weeks, and then started posting some lame comments here and there, just to let myself into the community gently.

Now i've just become addicted. I love coming back to see who's pulling who's leg in the community discussion forum, and if some poor sod has brought up another 'X on x86' rumor or something just as bad.

jelloshotsrule
May 26, 2002, 11:56 PM
started for rumors of course.

now it's fun. wastes my time while i procrastinate anything and everything..

and it's made me some friends and possibly a future partner! booyah

SilvorX
May 27, 2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

if it makes u feel any better...I often find myself on here when I'm avoiding the piles of work I have at work...:rolleyes:

ya this is a good place to go to avoid homework :D

GeeYouEye
May 27, 2002, 12:07 AM
Hi. My nam is Dan, and I'm a Mac user. :p

eyelikeart
May 27, 2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Hi. My nam is Dan, and I'm a Mac user. :p

actually....should it be termed "Macaholic?" :D

mac15
May 27, 2002, 02:31 AM
I can't leave my......
I'm in my lounge room with my mac all the time
and now I have one in my room....its my mp3 jukebox
everywhere I go there is a mac.....ahhhhhhh

resm
May 27, 2002, 03:59 AM
because before I meet Macrumors I was lurking around on some other Mac Forums.
But then I realized that sometimes there were no new postings for one or two day's.

That's when I got bored and after having looked at Macrumors for a few day's
from the back seat, I registered and I have enjoyed this noble assembly ever since :D

The mix of info..good advice and help, stired with fun, made me stay :)

and my TV is getting neclected and dusty :eek:

resm
May 27, 2002, 04:09 AM
because before I meet Macrumors I was lurking around on some other Mac Forums.
But then I realized that sometimes there were no new postings for one or two day's.

That's when I got bored and after having looked at Macrumors for a few day's
from the back seat, I registered and I have enjoyed this noble assembly ever since :D

The mix of info..good advice and help, stired with fun, made me stay :)

and my TV is getting neclected and dusty :eek: