PDA

View Full Version : Sony debuts first HD-based MP3 player, 2GB in capacity

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2004, 12:54 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sony debuts first HD-based MP3 player, 2GB in capacity (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040115015457)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

balconycollapse
Jan 15, 2004, 01:13 AM
More expensive then a 4 GB ipod mini. What's the point. Also shows that speculation on a cornice powered 2 gig ipod for 99 dollars would not be possible or else sony would have done it with this device.

winmacguy
Jan 15, 2004, 01:44 AM
Just reading all the details at the moment:
500 Songs USB 2 interface
2GB HD Supports MP3 formats variable rates 2 versions available runs on most versions of windows but not Mac $325.00 US

Compared with iPod at 4GB Mini ,Mac and PC stylish appearance USB and Firewire and $249.00US and a range of colours with a simple name to boot. iPod looks pretty cheap actually as well as international recognised.

I did initally think it was a bit pricey but looking at the competition Ill take that comment back.

Balin64
Jan 15, 2004, 02:49 AM
What is that Log that I assume works as a scrolling device? Ugly, over-priced. I too see the merits of the iPod mini in new light.

0 and A ai
Jan 15, 2004, 04:18 AM
I don't think the silver side is ugly. I do think there is alot of button clutter but sony is being consistent. Ipod mini is superior in every way it appears and for 325 i think i'd buy a 15 gig ipod.

Tiauguinho
Jan 15, 2004, 07:00 AM
$327... I seriously hope that people will stop complaining about the iPod mini price! Good move Apple!

johnnyjibbs
Jan 15, 2004, 07:11 AM
OK it looks cheap, ugly, and it's expensive. It only holds 500 songs. Hmmm. The only thing it has got going for it is its size, but even the normal iPods are hardly big.

As usual, Sony slapping a premium on it and thinking it will sell. Their name will get them so far, but I'd take an iPod any day. I think most people will do the same.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2004, 07:19 AM
I don't think that it looks that bad myself. What I would be more concerned about is the software. Will it be based on SonicStage and the limitations copying ones own music?

Also did anyone see the Sony announcement of the 1gb MiniDisc?

iGav
Jan 15, 2004, 07:43 AM
more info here too...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7674

seems one version is smaller than the iPod mini, but features no controls on it and requires the inline remote, (the version Sony has been bragging about) however the version which does have the controls on, is actually significantly bigger than the iPod mini.

Result Apple I say, with the iPod mini ;)

MattG
Jan 15, 2004, 07:47 AM
$327 for two gigs?!?

Certainly makes the mini look like a good (better) deal, and the iPod 15g like a GREAT deal in comparison.

JtheLemur
Jan 15, 2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MattG
$327 for a gig?!?

Reading is funda'mental - 2 gigs. ;)

MattG
Jan 15, 2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
Reading is funda'mental - 2 gigs. ;) :)

I fixed it. I saw "giga pavit" and thought "one gig."

ipiloot
Jan 15, 2004, 08:21 AM
What a buzz around some rebranded overpriced AIWA unit. Not worth mentioning.

dloomer
Jan 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
Isn't the $327 just the US dollar equivalent of what they sell for for in Japan?

What do iPods sell for over there?

dloomer
Jan 15, 2004, 08:28 AM
Okay, sorry ... answering my own question here.

15 GB iPod sells for 31,800 Yen in Japan. vs. 35,000 for the Giga Whatever.

Um ... I think that makes the iPod a better deal or something?

iggyb
Jan 15, 2004, 08:35 AM
All I can see from this is that is should boost iPod and iPod mini sales in Japan. (assuming they're going to sell iPod minis in Japan...)

Tulse
Jan 15, 2004, 08:53 AM
If they don't sell iPod minis in Japan, Apple's marketing staff should be fired -- they will sell like hotcakes over there (well, only if the Japanese liked hotcakes a whole bunch. More like it will sell like hotcakes would sell to the Dutch...or something...).

sinisterdesign
Jan 15, 2004, 08:57 AM
no Mac support? well, so much for plunking down more $$ for less capacity. that would have been a huge waste of time to make it Mac compatible.

the first "MP3" player i bought was a Sony. i put MP3 in quotes b/c in fact it converted everything to their crappy ATRAC3 format. who wants to resample already compressed music? i'm glad to see that this one at least supports MP3...step in the right direction.

but what's up w/ that remote? "our player is smaller than the mini". that's like taking the engine out of a car & saying it's lighter than the competition. "see how lightweight our sporty car is? of course you need that 800lb engine over there in the floor for it to run..."

also, it really shows how good a job Ive and his group have done w/ the UI of the iPod (and even moreso on the mini). you don't need dozens of buttons, switches & levers for every function of the player, have things be contextual. that way i don't wreck trying to turn down the volume or skip a song when i'm in my car. i guess Sony doesn't care if people wreck while using their products. thanks a lot Sony.

deejemon
Jan 15, 2004, 09:08 AM

iggyb
Jan 15, 2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by deejemon
Yawn.

They might have had the tiniest chance if it had the "Sony" brand on it, but "Aiwa"?!?

The Sony brand would help it, IF it was a little cheaper. But $327 for 2GB....and right after a 4GB iPod mini was introduced at $249??? Seems like a failure before it even starts.

Count Blah
Jan 15, 2004, 09:38 AM
This along with some other HD based MP3 player announcements has led me to a couple conclusions:

1)The iPod is even more amazing than I thought, given what you get for the price.

2)The low end($$ wise) HD based MP3 players are not yet in competition with the high end flash market. And are stuck in this nevernever land of "Why not spend some more to get a classic iPod" and "I'm not going to spend more than $199 on an MP3 player"

classic009
Jan 15, 2004, 09:58 AM
looks like we get the aiwa branded version in the us

http://www.us.aiwa.com/default.asp?page=products&prod=33&action=viewProduct

http://www.us.aiwa.com/default.asp?page=products&prod=32&action=viewProduct

sushi
Jan 15, 2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by iggyb
All I can see from this is that is should boost iPod and iPod mini sales in Japan. (assuming they're going to sell iPod minis in Japan...)
In April according to the Apple Store in the Ginza.

...and yes, I bet the mini iPods will sell like hotcakes over here! :D

Sushi

agreenster
Jan 15, 2004, 10:14 AM
The Giga-what?!??!?

What a horrible name. Hope it has a different name in the states. (for their sake) iPod just rolls off the tongue.

This from the people who brought us the revolutionary 'walkman' back in the day.

Giga-Pavit? Ughn.

Go iPod!

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 15, 2004, 10:17 AM
$329? There's no way I'd pay that much. If it was $50 cheaper I would have bought two already, but there's no way in hell I'll spend $329.

(sorry I just had to jab at the iPod Mini whiners; looking at the already low margins and competitors it seems Apple is really the price leader)

Bunzi2k4
Jan 15, 2004, 10:56 AM
its just dawned on me that ipods aren't that expensive anymore... like check out an archos jukebox, a 20 gig is 300, same price as the 15gig ipod. and then thers the dell dj, 15 gig for 250 that's only 50 dollars less than the ipod... and now the sony mp3 player... well i guess the ipod doesn't suck in price as much as we thought...

the_dalex
Jan 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
Unless there is something I don't see or understand, Sony/Aiwa just pulled out a shotgun and blew both of their feet off by announcing this product at this price a week after Apple announced the mini iPod. My father, who is a perfect example of a guy with disposable income who can buy any product he chooses, originally tried a high-end Sony network walkman for a while and just hated it. He had to do things like "check out" a song and then check it back in if he wanted to replace it, convert all of his songs to the ATRAC format, reducing quality through transcoding, use a special MagicGate memory stick, etc. Likewise, he rarely used his PC desktop or laptop because he needed a refresher course to even burn or rip a CD, because MusicMatch was such a POS.

He is now a proud owner of a 12" Powerbook, and just got a 40 gig iPod to replace his old 2G 20 gig. He is happier than a pig in...mud. I guess my point is, my dad has always been a Sony/Harmon Kardon/Nakamichi guy, but he switched and is getting all of his other doctor friends to switch as well. Sony lost him with very little evangelism on my part, so I can only imagine that they are losing customers everywhere once they see there IS a better, easier, and now cheaper way!

Edot
Jan 15, 2004, 11:39 AM
The price of the 15 GB iPod in Japan is 31,800 yen or $299. The same as in the U.S.

mrsebastian
Jan 15, 2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
The Giga-what?!??!?

What a horrible name. Hope it has a different name in the states. (for their sake) iPod just rolls off the tongue.

This from the people who brought us the revolutionary 'walkman' back in the day.

Giga-Pavit? Ughn.

Go iPod!

you aren't kidding! where has sony been getting product names from these days and what ever happened to product names like "walkman"?

jasonbw
Jan 15, 2004, 12:06 PM
they keep on saying this will be pc-only, but how exactly? is this some wierd type of drm that only works through a windows driver? will it not function as a usb2 HD?

jxyama
Jan 15, 2004, 12:54 PM
this is kinda funny...

after many people threw their hands up in the air about the mini ipod's price, more and more products seem to be introduced that make ipod mini look pretty good, if not a downright bargain.
(and when was the last time apple made bargain products?! :D)

it looks like ipod mini is overpriced only in respect to the ipod... and it is. but if all the competitors keep on rolling out 2 GB devices at $300+, etc., ipod mini will have plenty of competitors beat.. the question is, is there a market for such devices?

skytown205
Jan 15, 2004, 01:00 PM
One would imagine that the ipod would be racking up killer sales in Japan--but I'm not sure it is. It would be interesting to see the numbers....Certainly it doesn't have the style/cache value that it does here (I moved to the States in September, so maybe someone living there now could offer more helpful info on this). Conceivably, this could have somethign to do with the fact that the minidisc DID make it over there, and consequently everyone already has small music players, albeit with the limitation of being able to fit six hours on one disc.

This past summer, in an effort to counter that, Apple plastered, it seemed, every Yamanote line train in Tokyo with posters that said, "Goodbye, MD. Hello, Ipod." From what I saw, this wasn't immediately successful. (They also had Apple booths set up outside Shinjuku station, with iMacs for people to try out--sort of an itinerant Apple store).

Sony, of course, is hugely popular there, and carries with it significant brand loyalty. Their goods are also carried in every electronics store in Japan; I think this places Apple at a disadvantage. People in Japan like to shop--love to shop, as in go shopping, physically, to the stores. There are only a handful of stores in Tokyo that sell Apples, and mostly they are tucked in teh back or up on the tenth floor....As well, Japanese are highly distrustful of buying things online, and do not typically own/use credit cards.

Apple has its own fans in Japan, however--evidenced by the lines at the Ginza opening--and once music videos showing rap stars with Ipods, etc., make it over there, I imagine quite a few people will run out and plunk down their $500.

Spec-wise, of course, the Ipod kills the Sony. The trick will be capturing the imagination of the average buyer--which seems to me to be much the same task that Apple faces in the US, with its computers.

MattG
Jan 15, 2004, 01:03 PM
They just never learn...if they're going to come out with an iPod rival, why don't they at least try to make it look good? That thing is fugly. Fuu-uhh-gly.

jxyama
Jan 15, 2004, 01:10 PM
i don't live in japan, but i'm japanese and been back a few times the last few years, so my observations aren't perfect, but may be somewhat accurate.

one of the reasons MD took was due to its size, convenience and rental CDs. MD was made to compete against the CD and at the time, it offered significant advantages - smaller size, protected discs, smaller players, recordable, labelable, etc. and you could rent a CD (a few months after the release) for 300 to 500 yen and make digital/optical copies...

another reason iPod haven't taken off is probably due to people not owning the latest PC. PCs are relatively expensive and to get the most out of an iPod (or other large capacity mp3 players), you really need a PC. how else to turn your CD collection into mp3s? with MD, all you needed was a CD player with optical (or even analog) out. (and a MD recorder...) and of course, PCs aren't needed as much because cell phones can be used to surf the net and emails...

just a few observations...

iPod's design and functionality would appeal immensely to the japanese. but it has to crack the MD market first... it's still going strong in japan.

sinisterdesign
Jan 15, 2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jasonbw
they keep on saying this will be pc-only, but how exactly? is this some wierd type of drm that only works through a windows driver? will it not function as a usb2 HD?

that's what i thought w/ my first Sony music player. i hated checking in/out music, using a chunk of an old PC laptop and having 2 copies of all the songs (MP3 & ATRAC), so i tried using it on my Mac. it was USB, right? what's the problem? well, i could use it as a 128MB hard drive & that was about it. the player didn't recognize any file that i threw on the memory stick. unless it's 'checked in' w/ the music software, the player won't acknowledge it's there.

speaking of which, i have this great little Sony music player for sale. bargin price! i'll throw in a memory stick! uh, not compatible w/ Macs...but who uses those things anyhow. am i right?

parrothead
Jan 15, 2004, 01:37 PM
I think it is overpriced and ugly. The ipods and ipod minis are pretty good deals at their current prices. I owned an Archos 20gb player before my ipod and the thing was an absolute piece of junk.

dantec
Jan 15, 2004, 02:36 PM
So if I hear you all right, the Japanese need a 3g phone with a firewire port !!! Then they will buy iPods... aha !

pcharles
Jan 15, 2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
$327... I seriously hope that people will stop complaining about the iPod mini price! Good move Apple!

I'm not an indecisive person, I just don't know what color to get, except that I don't want pink. Does anyone know what is the cool color this year? :confused:

So far I have narrowed it to:
Silver is a little plain
Gold could be a good upgrade from silver
Everything else I own is blue
Green would be wild but a little odd.

I'd appreciate peoples votes for the cool color I should choose!!! :) What happens if next year I like the new colors better? Do you think Apple will offer a rebate for color upgrades or will I have to file a class action?:D

pcharles
Jan 15, 2004, 02:45 PM
The other factor seems to be that Sony products sold in Japan are superior to those sold in America.

By the time they come over here, they are usually one generation old.

dantec
Jan 15, 2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by pcharles
I'm not an indecisive person, I just don't know what color to get, except that I don't want pink. Does anyone know what is the cool color this year? :confused:

So far I have narrowed it to:
Silver is a little plain
Gold could be a good upgrade from silver
Everything else I own is blue
Green would be wild but a little odd.

I'd appreciate peoples votes for the cool color I should choose!!! :) What happens if next year I like the new colors better? Do you think Apple will offer a rebate for color upgrades or will I have to file a class action?:D

My aunt ordered green... it's scheduled to ship on or before february 16th... So if you wait that long I can send you pics... :D

Otherwise, I suggest you look around on mac websites for live pictures. Such as the 'Inside Mac Games' galleries, they have live expo pictures of the iPods in different colors. Granted these will not look as nice because they are not in perfect sunlight but however they can perhaps give you an idea of what these colors look like in person, under 'tubular' (the long lights shaped in tubes... have no idea what they are really called) lighting...

Tiauguinho
Jan 15, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by pcharles

Silver... and while you are at it get a G5, a PB and a iSight! So it can all match! Hell, even add a XRaid too! Perfect color to match Apple hardware!

the_dalex
Jan 15, 2004, 05:00 PM
So, it seems Sony's achilles heel is that they own the electronics market in Japan, and they have trouble with markets in other countries. That explains the poor performance of the MD over here (feeble marketing, they just thought they'd be snapped up like they were in Japan?) and the fact that they buck US trends (open standards being a big one) and try to dictate to the market, telling consumers what to buy without any flexibility. Here, they are a name with a somewhat premium price, but without any obvious reasons to pay that premium.

Sony owns Japan, but it looks like they're contained in that respect. Apple is going to have trouble breaking that stranglehold, and they need the trendy style of the mini iPod to do so. The good news is that Sony is not going to be able to beat Apple in the US, because our consumers are more savvy and performance-oriented, and Apple delivers that with the style, at a lower price. We are a secondary market to Sony, and their focus on Japan will be their downfall.

I grew up thinking Sony was the best in electronics, but my experiences over the past decade have eroded that. They make good stuff, but I've bought better stuff cheaper.

deejemon
Jan 15, 2004, 05:25 PM

SeaFox
Jan 15, 2004, 06:08 PM
OMG! This is so stupid! They just announced the next Minidisc format and it's based on a FAT file system now!

All they'd have to do is add a decoding chip for MP3 and make some small software changes.

But instead they release a whole new product for an MP3 player.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Count Blah
Jan 15, 2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by deejemon
And some people were complaining that Apple was being unreasonable asking $249 for 4GB...

I was refering to the classic iPod, not the mini's. I personally don't see the mini's having much of a market, that is why there was a #2.

legion
Jan 15, 2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by the_dalex
So, it seems Sony's achilles heel is that they own the electronics market in Japan, and they have trouble with markets in other countries.

[edit]

We are a secondary market to Sony, and their focus on Japan will be their downfall.

I grew up thinking Sony was the best in electronics, but my experiences over the past decade have eroded that. They make good stuff, but I've bought better stuff cheaper.

You're kidding right? Sony is, and has been for sometime, the largest consumer electronics company in the world, and though Sony doesn't market all their goods to the US or has specialized products for the Japanese market place, the US is not the "secondary" market as they make more money off of the US than Japan.

Many other companies make specialized products for the Japanese marketplace (IBM, for one) but it doesn't relegate the US to a "secondary" class.

legion
Jan 15, 2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by SeaFox
OMG! This is so stupid! They just announced the next Minidisc format and it's based on a FAT file system now!

All they'd have to do is add a decoding chip for MP3 and make some small software changes.

But instead they release a whole new product for an MP3 player.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Already done for some years now... the netMD series all are able to read mp3s

elgruga
Jan 15, 2004, 08:42 PM
I once had a girlfriend called Giga Pavit.

couch11
Jan 15, 2004, 09:34 PM
Has anyone noticed that the specs don't show WMA support? This would make this mp3 player a paperweight.

autrefois
Jan 15, 2004, 10:07 PM
Thank you Sony for making Apple look good! :D

I think they're all missing the big sub-$200 market. I hope Apple will be the first one there, and soon.

But certainly if you have a choice between this and an iPod mini, the iPod mini will win. Go Apple!

autrefois
Jan 15, 2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by couch11
Has anyone noticed that the specs don't show WMA support? This would make this mp3 player a paperweight.

Like the iPod?? :D (I'm joking)

SeaFox
Jan 15, 2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by legion
Already done for some years now... the netMD series all are able to read mp3s

As the owner of a NetMD unit, I can assure you, they cannot read mp3's. :rolleyes:

NetMD just leveraged the multiple writes of a Minidisc to make it an easy check-in/check-out usage model. This helped offset the limited capacity of minidiscs, even after MDLP extended the time capacity from the original 73/80 min.

jxyama
Jan 16, 2004, 08:55 AM
MD hasn't taken off (and probably never will) in the states for several reasons, one of which is, in general, japanese are much more accepting of new and cool gadgets, even at a price premium.

americans, in general, are pretty cheap and they treasure older technology they've grown accustomed to more. the only time this observation breaks down is when the new technology is VASTLY superior AND becomes a commodity quickly to lower the price, e.g. DVD.

MD was not much better than the CD at the introduction so most americans decided to stick with tapes for recording and CD for music back then. MD never found the window of opportunity to grow since tapes were replaced pretty quickly with computers and CD burner instead of MD.

above is a very simplistic view, but i think it's somewhat valid. it's not meant to be a flamebait.

Sony is still a very good electronics company and they do dominate Japan. they are also a formidable company in the u.s. as well. however, they are struggling a bit lately because they were slow to get into flat panel TVs. their CRT TVs, which was one of their strengths, are quickly becoming obsolete as flat panels get cheaper and cheaper...

and yes, they do some weird stuff with proprietary formats. ATRAC (MD's compressions - which was quite an advanced stuff at the onset of MD introduction, but it just never became the "industry" standard in the u.s...) and MemoryStick come to mind...

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by jxyama
MD hasn't taken off (and probably never will) in the states for several reasons, one of which is, in general, japanese are much more accepting of new and cool gadgets, even at a price premium.

americans, in general, are pretty cheap and they treasure older technology they've grown accustomed to more. the only time this observation breaks down is when the new technology is VASTLY superior AND becomes a commodity quickly to lower the price, e.g. DVD.

MD was not much better than the CD at the introduction so most americans decided to stick with tapes for recording and CD for music back then. MD never found the window of opportunity to grow since tapes were replaced pretty quickly with computers and CD burner instead of MD.

above is a very simplistic view, but i think it's somewhat valid. it's not meant to be a flamebait.

Sony is still a very good electronics company and they do dominate Japan. they are also a formidable company in the u.s. as well. however, they are struggling a bit lately because they were slow to get into flat panel TVs. their CRT TVs, which was one of their strengths, are quickly becoming obsolete as flat panels get cheaper and cheaper...

and yes, they do some weird stuff with proprietary formats. ATRAC (MD's compressions - which was quite an advanced stuff at the onset of MD introduction, but it just never became the "industry" standard in the u.s...) and MemoryStick come to mind...

having bought into the MD recorder/player an portable plyers I was always surprised that the MD technology never found a home in personal computers. it seemed to have many adavantages over CD-R's. I never understood why Sony never "pushed' this so that it could be come a true standard. And even more surprised that Sony came out with the 1gb MD.

jxyama
Jan 16, 2004, 10:31 AM
believe me, i've bought my share of MD players/recorders. i've bought three, in fact. and i have at least 150 MDs, all labeled with song titles... (it was a lot of effort.) i made a serious transition to MD back in 1999 - when i was moving to europe for two years. i didn't want to bother carrying all the CDs - they were bulkier - so i consolidated all my CDs and sold the ones i didn't need any more.

however... times i've used MD since i got my iPod/PB: zero.

it is too bad, it's a wonderful technology. but it's hard to beat an iPod - thousands of songs, all painlessly labeled with song titles/artist/album name - in your pocket.

iB24
Jan 16, 2004, 12:52 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed, or even cares for that matter, but in the photo of the device (http://www.us.aiwa.com/files/prodimages/lowres/2004/HZWS2000_L.jpg)...a song from Utada Hikaru is playing, "Wait & See ~リスク~." Though it's spelled incorrectly on the device.

For those of you who don't know, she's the woman who sang the theme to Kingdom Hearts.

Anyway, back to the issue...I think it's a bit pricey for 2GB. But, price doesn't always seem to affect the purchasing habits of the Japanese. I mean just look at the average CD prices.

SeaFox
Jan 16, 2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by iB24

Anyway, back to the issue...I think it's a bit pricey for 2GB. But, price doesn't always seem to affect the purchasing habits of the Japanese. I mean just look at the average CD prices.

That's why this looks really greedy of Sony. If Hi-MD could play mp3's natively, one could get set up with a player and the same amount of storage space as this new player for as little as $210. The only differnece would be the collection would be split between two Minidiscs.

scmacdaddy
Jan 16, 2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
believe me, i've bought my share of MD players/recorders. i've bought three, in fact. and i have at least 150 MDs, all labeled with song titles... (it was a lot of effort.) i made a serious transition to MD back in 1999 - when i was moving to europe for two years. i didn't want to bother carrying all the CDs - they were bulkier - so i consolidated all my CDs and sold the ones i didn't need any more.

however... times i've used MD since i got my iPod/PB: zero.

it is too bad, it's a wonderful technology. but it's hard to beat an iPod - thousands of songs, all painlessly labeled with song titles/artist/album name - in your pocket.
agreed. bought an md player in 1997 i think. loved it for many years. then got a mac, itunes and an ipod and its just collecting dust. sometimes i wanna go back to it, then i remember i have all my songs in my pocket and smile:D still, it was an awesome upgrade from cd's, especially before burners became so common in PC's.

ryaxnb
Jan 17, 2004, 01:44 PM
Heck I could get a 15GB iPod for that money!:confused: (about the price)

Now I do think Apple could do a $199 4GB, a $199 4GB, or possibly a $149 2GB, but this is crazy. It reinforces the idea that iPod Mini pricing is all right.

iPod iPod Mini Sony
Price $299 $249 $329 or so
DRM None* None* Probably
Capacity 15GB 4GB 2GB
Interface Good Good Probably Poor
Scrolling Fast Fast Almost Certainly Slow
Auto-Sync Yes Yes** Almost Certainly No
WW iTunes Yes Yes No
WMA/AAC Yes, AAC Yes, AAC Almost Certainly No***
Hard disk Yes Yes Almost Certainly No
Music Store Yes, iTMS Yes, iTMS Almost Certainly No****
Size Medium Small Small
Computer UI iTunes (A) iTunes (A) Sony (most likely poor)
Accessories Lots A Few Probably only a couple

* For songs not purchased at the iTMS
** Playlists as well
*** Sony players traditionally use ATRAC3 instead, which requires DRM AFAIK.
**** Sony players traditionally do not support WMA and thus do not support any current music stores AFAIK.

Who in there right mind would buy the Sony?

SeaFox
Jan 17, 2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ryaxnb

Sony players traditionally do not support WMA and thus do not support any current music stores AFAIK.

Except Sony's own music store, which uses Sony's ATRAC3 format. (currently not available in the US I think).

Who in there right mind would buy the Sony? [/B]

I wouldn't. Not this Sony.